aubergines (1 Viewer)

zebra heart attack

i always eye them up at fruit and veg stalls, but i never bought one until yesterday (nice and cheap on moore street). anyway. i was doing some roast potatoes, so i just sliced it up and threw it in the oven.

it was edible, but the end result was a bit bland and chewy. maybe you aren't even meant to bake them. any ideas on how to make aubergines taste nice?

cut them in slices, brush with olive oil ,
sprinke with coriander seeds bashed up in a mortar and pestle,
grill on each side for a few minutes.
or use a ridged grill pan to get nice char lines.
then squeeze some lemon juice and sprinkle on some chopped basil leaves. YUM

I chickened out of buying a globe artichoke at the weekend, what do you do with them ?

cut in half, cover in salt, leave upside down, after 30 mins take off salt, scoop out, cut into pieces, mix with chopped tomatoes and corriander paste, put back mix into shells, cover with goats cheese or Buffalo Mozzarello, bake for 30, eat!

thing with aubergenes and courgettes is they both have lots of water in them. good advice before cooking either is to slice and salt and leave out in the open for an hour or so - the salt draws the water out. then frying in butter and monching is great. they're both great in ratatouille, lasagne and moussaka. OR, seing as summer is coming, slicing them, dousing them in soy sauce, salt and olive oil and wrapping in tin foil - then just slap the parcel on the BBQ for 5 mins each side - the result is pretty amazing.

i love this smorgasboard!!! :)

rowdy row tinka said:
cut in half, cover in salt, leave upside down, after 30 mins take off salt, scoop out, cut into pieces, mix with chopped tomatoes and corriander paste, put back mix into shells, cover with goats cheese or Buffalo Mozzarello, bake for 30, eat!
yowza!!! sounds great :)

I've never bothered with the salting, they do suck up unbelievable amounts of oliveoil though. Slurp slurp they go. So might try it next time.

They are a wonderful food. I love them dearly. So versatile because of their kind of odd texture. However, like you said Zebradude, having them undercooked can be a pretty rotten experience. Don't let it put you off.

Coraline, Tinka and Hag's suggestions are only fabulous. Try em.

i made the baked aubergines with miso dressing from here yesterday and they were delish. you can get the weirdy chilli seasoning he mentions in the asia market.

rowdy row tinka said:

mmmm, sounds good. is coriander paste like pesto only with coriander? could you just use fresh coriander and some oil/garlic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back