aranos, z'ev and jon whitney @ lazybird may 2nd (1 Viewer)

nEiLo

Website
www.lazybird.org
Lazybird and Brainwashed present:

Aranos
Z'ev
and dj Jon Whitney (brainwashed)

7 euro
8.30pm until 12.30am

Bio:
Aranos (pronounced aranyosh) was born in Bohemia (now a part of Czech Republic). He has performed as a singer and instrumentalist since the age of 8 in folk ensembles, jazz bands, rock groups, gypsy bands, ceilidh bands and as a solo artist. Written and composed in various styles from classical music to rock.
He has performed and composed in dissident theatres in former Czechoslovakia. Aranos sings and plays violin, viola, cello, bass, guitar, mandolin, piano, keyboards, banjo, Chinese and Japanese flutes, santoor, drums, percussion, etc.
Aranos has recorded Traditional Irish, East European, gypsy and folk albums and CDs. Recently concentrating on experimental electro acoustic music mostly recorded in his own 24 track recording studio and released in Great Britain and France.
Aranos has written soundtracks to videos and fllms as well as theatre e.g. Spell of the Megamall - a multimedia production with Theatre Omnibus and Disabled People of Clare, "Spirit" - an experimental electro acoustic tone poem mini opera in collaboration with a renown writer and poet Max Hafler.
Aranos collaborates on a regular basis with Steven Stapleton of Nurse With Wound, David Tibet and Current 93.
Aranos set up his own recording company "Pieros" to release "Making Love in Small Spaces" and future CDs.
In live shows Aranos plays violin and sings with a backing he recorded himself, performing East European gypsy music and song and compositions from his recent CDs.

Z'ev (born Stefan Weiser) straddles the nearly unbridgeable and highly volatile gulf between the art world and the music industry. Acclaimed as one of the world's best and most original percussionists, Weiser began recording in the late '60s in a handful of psych-out projects. By the late '70s, he took on the Z'ev moniker to explore the "spatial poetics" of the polyrhythmic clamor he had established with his hand-built percussive instruments. His dozens of collaborative projects expanded to include work with John Cage, Glenn Branca, The Hafler Trio, Psychic TV, and Rhythm & Noise

Translating Z'ev's kinetic performances onto sound-only recorded media does him a bit of an injustice, for it is an awesome sight to witness him heave a kinetic sculpture across a stage. These hulking percussive instruments, culled from the junkyards of the globe, consist of unwieldy pieces of sheet metal, giant coil springs, innumerable interconnected pipes, and several dozen 10-gallon plastic water bottles connected with heavy chains. Z'ev gracefully hurls the sculptures/instruments across the stage as a physical extension of his body, imbuing his crescendos of intense rhythmic crashing with a surprisingly calligraphic quality. While Z'ev occasionally goes into the studio to fabricate an explosive dynamic range, he sometimes sets up a couple of microphones in a large space and records a performance. The excerpt from Ghost Stories was recorded in such a manner at the Wang Concert Hall in Amsterdam. "Act One: Scene Three/Base Drums," "Act Three: Scene Four/New Titans," and "Act Four: Scene Four/Wayang" are all from Opus 3.1, which was recorded in the De Duif church (also in Amsterdam).

Jon Whitney is the ruler of the brainwashed domain.
check out www.brainwashed.com home to such labels as Kranky, United Dairies, Tigerbeat 6 and Output recordings; and artists such as Labradford, Bomb the Bass, Nurse with Wound, Wire, GYBE and Matmos.

This should be most excellent.

yep. upstairs in the international bar.

we will be opening at 9pm this sunday because the nice people in the international decided to put on some singer/songwriter on during the afternoon leaving us fuck all time to set up.
great.

youse should move out of the international.The lazybird vibe will follow to a larger venue.(MOR being an example) those guys at the international have been doing suff like that since the start of lazy.

Latex lizzie said:
youse should move out of the international.The lazybird vibe will follow to a larger venue.(MOR being an example) those guys at the international have been doing suff like that since the start of lazy.
true. but we still have it kinda sweet. so can't complain too much.!ninjaaaa

i'm going to HUP the fook out of this thread for the rest of the week!

this should be a great evening ouf music.
dunno if you are familiar with Brainwashed (and especially the weekly zine The Brain)
The Brain is excellent and I have discovered numerous music treasures thanks to it.
Check out www.brainwashed.com/brain

billygannon said:
Who's gold, silver and bronze in this?
It's all gold Billy, solid Gold.

I saw Aranos last year in Galway and he's quite the performer. He started with a cacaophanus backing track and handed percussion instruments to the audience to play along. Then he sang and played fiddle with effortless grace.

aka BOIIIIIIINK! (high 5 from Neil)

desertedvillage said:

I saw Aranos last year in Galway and he's quite the performer. He started with a cacaophanus backing track and handed percussion instruments to the audience to play along. Then he sang and played fiddle with effortless grace.

aka BOIIIIIIINK! (high 5 from Neil)

..the only problem when this happens is there is always one fucker who has not idea of the meaning of keeping time is.I cant help looking at them and going "1,2,3,4" or whatever.Silly I know.

BOIGAZ said:
Burgerbarbaby - TASTY BOIGAZ!!!!

Check out the cool flyer for this at www.lazybird.org!

G'WAAAAAN! GWAAAAAN YIZ BASSA!

Seriouslaaaaaa
Aranos & Z'ev & Jon Whitney...this is a very special line-up.

Latex lizzie said:
..the only problem when this happens is there is always one fucker who has not idea of the meaning of keeping time is.I cant help looking at them and going "1,2,3,4" or whatever.Silly I know.
I feel your pain, although '1,2.3.4' didn't really come into it at this thing

desertedvillage said:

that was good crack alright!
not as good as enso tho....;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back