anyone remember the cure-heads? (1 Viewer)

back in the day the two subgenres were distinct. Cureheads backcombed their hair to look like Robert Smith and wore those big hitop basketball shoes and could be seen shuffling around on the dancefloor. Goths generally felt superior and liked flailing their arms and legs about in dramatic style to The mission.

back in the day the two subgenres were distinct. Cureheads backcombed their hair to look like Robert Smith and wore those big hitop basketball shoes and could be seen shuffling around on the dancefloor. Goths generally felt superior and liked flailing their arms and legs about in dramatic style to The mission.

Ironic, considering the Cure pissed all over the Mission / Sisters of Mercy etc.

Ironic, considering the Cure pissed all over the Mission / Sisters of Mercy etc.

You'd be hard pressed to find a genre of music that sounds even shittier in retrospect than second wave late 80s goth bands. No tunes, ridiculous lyrics, awful dingy production etc. -anyone recall 'grebo':eek:, the post-goth,greasy rocker subgenre - oh dear.

Do goths have dodgy festivals where all the old stalwarts like the Nephilim,the Mission etc. play in a holiday camp annually alá the 'rebellion' punk fests?

Yup, and "Hot Stuff" on Washington Street, the Quay Co-op and Spiders on a Sunday night for moody shoe gaze foot shuffling.

Of course the Cureheads were mixed with the punks and random indie kid early adaptors. Then there were the mode-ies: the Depeche Mode fans who morphed into ravers in the early nineties.

Happy days.

Ahh Spiders on a Sunday night for a moody shoe gaze, those were the days. And sitting about in front of the Queens old castle

You'd be hard pressed to find a genre of music that sounds even shittier in retrospect than second wave late 80s goth bands. No tunes, ridiculous lyrics, awful dingy production etc. -anyone recall 'grebo':eek:, the post-goth,greasy rocker subgenre - oh dear.

I concur. They sounded shite back then, they sound even worse now.
No one understood them though, the goths, poor fellers, especially not their parents, the fuckers, no one except Wayne Hussey.

Hmmm yeah so being a spa with backcombed hair who likes the nephlin is bad but being a spa with backcombed hair who likes the cure is good. I think im getting it now.

And the cure have nothing to do with goths even though robert smith lead singer of the cure at one time played guitar in siouxie and the banshees?

Yeah sorry for not seeing the huge differences there.

This is what I hate about all this scenester fashion freak stuff, when they start getting all petty and everyones supposed to keep up with it ...

Swish

Hmmm yeah so being a spa with backcombed hair who likes the nephlin is bad but being a spa with backcombed hair who likes the cure is good. I think im getting it now.

And the cure have nothing to do with goths even though robert smith lead singer of the cure at one time played guitar in siouxie and the banshees?

Yeah sorry for not seeing the huge differences there.

This is what I hate about all this scenester fashion freak stuff, when they start getting all petty and everyones supposed to keep up with it ...

Swish

It's pretty straightforward really RD, listen to the records, the Cure were back combed head and shoulders above the goth outfits musically speaking.

Whats the point in getting all hot under the collar about it? That "scenester fashion freak stuff" was great if you were a teenager in the Eighties, whether you were a goth, a punk, a curehead, a metaller, a mod, a skin etc. The cureheads were one of the few, and indeed last, youth subcultures who took their cue from only one group. Without doubt, they liked other groups too but there was a mile between what The Cure meant and those other groups (some of whom may have been categorizable under the goth label). Similar to The Cure, The Banshees are widely miscategorized as goth. Both bands existed before goth and were rules unto themselves. In any case these subcultures dont seem to exist as they once did. Any other curehead stories..?

Yeah Im only messin - I can see why people would want to distance themselves from being associated with the goth scene. By the way genre derived goth music goth much worse in the 90s and 2000s and ultimatley killed industrial music. Why did that late 90s goth revival even happen it seems crazy now ?!?!?!?!?!?!?//

Anyway case in point you cant talk about cureheads without someone bringing up the goth issue

I win the end.
Mods move this thread to the threads Red Dog won at section please

Swish

Any other curehead stories..?

Did you hear the one about Robert Smith kicking the shite out of Barbara Streisand?

4c67b8d7.jpg

The Cure stand the test of time over most of the "goth" bands because they wrote loads of great tunes.

What do you think goth boy?

FatGothKid.jpg

Fine. Be like that.

ah yes indeed, the good old Curehead days. I was at the Shelbourne for the Wish album release, frantically tearing promo posters off the wall....the last time i would say the Shelbourne allowed such derelicts through their doors...a sunny day if i recall...i remember my mate in macdonalds putting his hair up and applying make-up to me badly. The central bank was also a popular hang-out, although this was primarliy held by the punks and skaters of the day. then there was Mcgonagles (sic), tho i never made it myself, a bit too young. Wish i had seen them on the Disintegration tour 1989...was any lucky enough to recall the event????

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back