anyone remember the cure-heads? (1 Viewer)

knives

In the early nineties i was a cure-head which meant a lot of backcombing, baggy black jumpers, and misapplication of make up. I remember going to the cure days in the City Arts Centre and Shelbourne Hotel. But by the early nineties the cure-heads were a dying race. Does anyone remember where they used to hang out in the Eighties? Any information would satisfy a long held (cure)iosity....Cheers.

1336296793_l.jpg

I don't know about all the fakers but the true-blue elite were permanently hanging around in front of HMV Grafton St. Oh yeah!

ah, bartley dunnes. as far as i remember, it was a gay bar, a goth bar, an underage drinking bar, and an indie bar. simultaneously. perhaps because it was very dark and you could imagine that everyone else there was from [insert subculture here].

i shudder to think how much of my limited funds i spent on hairspray back then....

ah, bartley dunnes. as far as i remember, it was a gay bar, a goth bar, an underage drinking bar, and an indie bar. simultaneously. perhaps because it was very dark and you could imagine that everyone else there was from [insert subculture here].

i shudder to think how much of my limited funds i spent on hairspray back then....

Ah back in the day when a tall 15 year old with a bum fluff tache could only get served in a handful of Dublin boozerz ,Bartley Dunne's was a shoo in for a gargle and you would be sure to see someone way younger loooking than yourself in there.

Cureheads, I will always associate with HMV Grafton st, Bartley's drinking guinness and blackcurrant, and legging it off Grafton st when some flea brained punk or skinhead would launch a random attack out of pure badness. Although I do remember a few madsers who could stick it to any punk who thought they could throw their weight around.

I never got that look. How did they keep their hair that upright? My brother was a Cure head briefly but he never mastered the hair thing.

My most favourite incident involving a cure head was this bloke in my school. He left his leaving cert english exam early to go home to watch Ireland vs England in Italia '90. I met him on the corridor (I was doing exam attendant) and he told me. I informed him that the match wasn't on til that night. He thought it was the early game, which in fact was Scotland vs Costa Rica. He failed English. And his whole leaving cert for that matter.

Cure heads were always good for a laugh that way.

I never got that look. How did they keep their hair that upright? My brother was a Cure head briefly but he never mastered the hair thing.

1) backcomb with old toothbrush
2) apply ludicrous amounts of hairspray.

i used to carry a toothbrush around in the breast pocket of my old man's jacket for touch-ups. oh yes.

My most favourite incident involving a cure head was this bloke in my school. He left his leaving cert english exam early to go home to watch Ireland vs England in Italia '90. I met him on the corridor (I was doing exam attendant) and he told me. I informed him that the match wasn't on til that night. He thought it was the early game, which in fact was Scotland vs Costa Rica. He failed English. And his whole leaving cert for that matter.

They were beaten 1-0 that day were Scotland. :)

Using a tooth brush to backcomb your hair sounds a bit mad. A normal comb did the job better. What about the Abbey mall, the Pierot club, mcGonagles on Thursday nights...Were these cure-head haunts? Did anyone see the cure in 1981 at the Trinity May Ball? Apparently a gang of Dublin's punks broke in en masse and caused havoc..

Using a tooth brush to backcomb your hair sounds a bit mad. A normal comb did the job better. What about the Abbey mall, the Pierot club, mcGonagles on Thursday nights...Were these cure-head haunts? Did anyone see the cure in 1981 at the Trinity May Ball? Apparently a gang of Dublin's punks broke in en masse and caused havoc..

you got better results with a toothbrush than a comb, i found. i have no idea how i discovered this.

i did go to mcgonagles, though that was a bit later...

In the mid to late 80's it was the "Peace Park" in Cork.

Yup, and "Hot Stuff" on Washington Street, the Quay Co-op and Spiders on a Sunday night for moody shoe gaze foot shuffling.

Of course the Cureheads were mixed with the punks and random indie kid early adaptors. Then there were the mode-ies: the Depeche Mode fans who morphed into ravers in the early nineties.

Happy days.

Man Id say anyone who recognizes those flyers is feeling preety old now-

I remember hearing the term Cure Head when I was in Primary School .I was actually thinking about it recentley and taught it was just what plebes called goths. So was it a distinct sub genre of being a goth. Did people actually call them selves 'cure heads' ?

Spas

Man Id say anyone who recognizes those flyers is feeling preety old now-

I remember hearing the term Cure Head when I was in Primary School .I was actually thinking about it recentley and taught it was just what plebes called goths. So was it a distinct sub genre of being a goth. Did people actually call them selves 'cure heads' ?

Spas

Hell yeah they did. In the days before d'internet there weren't quite so many indie records coming out, it was ok to have one band make up 75% of a moody teenager's record / basf c90 collection.

Feckin c90's, always cut out the last song or two on an album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back