Anyone here work for google? (2 Viewers)

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
Just curious. I dreamt the other night I was doing an interview to work there. Starting to develop a romanticised idea of how great it'd be to work for a giant tech company that is actually doing some worthwhile shit - someone disabuse me please

i kind of work for them. i work for one of their in-house video production teams. i'm technically not google staff but am based in their london offices. amazing offices. the canteen is fucking savage and all free. nyom nyom.

Just curious. I dreamt the other night I was doing an interview to work there. Starting to develop a romanticised idea of how great it'd be to work for a giant tech company that is actually doing some worthwhile shit - someone disabuse me please

I don't work for them but I've worked in the building, it's nice. My mate works there and he really likes it (he's a linguist rather than a software engineer), he says that they're doing a big hiring drive at the moment.

Yeah, I know they're hiring, but for programmers they usually look for a background in computer science (which I don't have) and expertise with C and Java (which I have very little of), and I suspect they'd be unlikely to hire me as anything else seeing as I've been working as a programmer for 15 years

Still curious though

google being a good company to work for is a myth. their offices are lush but its the least they can do because, work for google and all you'll do is work. Its probably a grand enough place to be when you leave college and haven't the wisdom of a couple of years in the workforce to have developed the cynicism you need to survive in the world, still full of energy and enthusiasm, and are happy to work your hole off 'for the man'. I was like that leaving college and spent a couple of years working for the company I was with then (and kind of am with now).

working for google involves your day job which is 70-80% of your time. The rest is 'project work' where you basically have to invent shit. You're judged on that 20% though. Don't cut it, you're gone.

one of my college classmates is in a high powered position out there. I got headhunted by their HR at the beginning of last year because he got them to chase me. Thankfully we couldn't agree on anything that would suit me over there.

And whats this worthwhile shit of which you speak? They're a glorified advertising company who are now trying to muscle in to well-worn markets. They haven't done a single innovative thing - unless you think invading people's privacy as being innovative.

sorry to burst the bubble here, but you're better off where you are (wherever that is).

work for google and all you'll do is work
What do you mean? Does everyone in there put in mad long hours? If so - is there anyone in there with kids? Surely there must be? How do they manage to put in extra hours? I certainly couldn't

I know where they get their money but they do work on some nifty stuff - like the search engine itself, and google docs, and gmail and shit. Since the pension age changed I'm gonna be working for another damn near 30 years, and I dunno if I relish the thought of banging out php (or ruby or js or whatever the next hot language is) for all that time. Inventing shit sounds like fun, y'know? Fun for a day job at least

you're better off where you are (wherever that is).
You know, I probably am - it's the first job I've ever had that I actually like. Still want to hear more about google though ...

Google make their offices plush,and the canteen free so you don't be watching the clock for home time come 3 o'clock
it's a sneaky way of milking your time!

What do you mean? Does everyone in there put in mad long hours? If so - is there anyone in there with kids? Surely there must be? How do they manage to put in extra hours? I certainly couldn't

I know where they get their money but they do work on some nifty stuff - like the search engine itself, and google docs, and gmail and shit. Since the pension age changed I'm gonna be working for another damn near 30 years, and I dunno if I relish the thought of banging out php (or ruby or js or whatever the next hot language is) for all that time. Inventing shit sounds like fun, y'know? Fun for a day job at least

You know, I probably am - it's the first job I've ever had that I actually like. Still want to hear more about google though ...

they fairly bleed you dry alright. But they pay well so thats probably fair enough. They have a funny way of operating. Like, some former college classmates of mine would be pretty shit-hot developers and they've been courted by google for years. Its a case of them keeping you on ice, but checking in every once in a while, until a job comes along that would make you join.

By innovative I meant they haven't really come up with anything original. gmail is a rehash of stuff that was already there. As is chrome. As is their phone stuff. They tried wave and it flopped. They haven't made any inroads into the device market (they jumped into bed pretty quicky with HTC). The maps stuff is pretty cool, if not a little invasive, but its a bit gimmicky. They're like a big rich kid whose second to the party when something new and cool comes along, and almost as if in a huff, try to do the same thing, only better. Kind of like Japan.

I never fully knew what Wave was. I'm presuming it was their attempt at social networking. When you consider facebook is just a rehash of myspace/friendster/bebo, you'd imagine google are really kicking themselves for missing out on coming up with something like that, or twitter. Tough shit boys.

Their main revenue stream is still advertising though as far as I can tell. And the shit they do on people home computers without their knowing is just bloody scary.

The only reason I'd work for them is money and free shit. My first job was with a multinational during the dot-com boom. It was deadly. You worked hard but basically got a bonus for coming into work. They were utterly stupid with money. Needless to say they almost went bust before being bought out. It wouldn't surprise me if the arse fell out of google soon enough too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back