Anyone here work for google? (1 Viewer)

Haha

It doesn't determine what type of person you are dude. It just records what sites in the search results a user of that particular browser on that particular machine clicks on, and as patterns are established pushes those up the list

The net effect might be kinda the same, but they're not "bring[ing] you what you supposedly want", they're giving you what you have shown that you actually want. It's purely data driven, and I suspect they're doing it to try and improve their product and not in an effort to isolate us more

I wish I shared your faith - if it was a straight linear question of only directing the user to sites they've already visited then you'd have a point; the search engine trick is using non-linear (fuzzy) logic to create an array of possibilities for the user - the criteria for creating these arrays is partly demographics - your age, sex, location, occuption (wage-bracket) and certainly, by the choices you've already made online it determines your political leanings. I don't mean that in a anthropomorphic kind of way, I don't think it's judgemantal or anything like that. Facebook (and the like) are key in the gathering and use of this information. I don't know the correct terms for the workings of search engines, so sorry for any misuse of technical language.

They only know stuff like your age and sex if you've a google account, but I suppose the details of this are pretty much irrelevant - what matters is it's happening, right?

We only want to hear things that confirm our prejudices, the internet is finally catching up with that

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back