Any experience releasing a record/CD in Ireland? (1 Viewer)

ours is on sale for 12.99

I went onto Road Record's site, looked up how much Stoat were selling theirs for, and put the same price on ours

I think people can afford that.

I think it's fair enough to charge less for a local release. It's gonna be mostly your friends or your friends' friends who buy it. Why should you want to rip them off?

But it shouldn't be too cheap, obviously, or you devalue it. I always think of it in terms of newspapers. If you buy a newspaper and also pick up a freesheet, which are you going to take more seriously?

Bad Intentions (Patrick?) -

I'm not sure charging full whack is the right idea either. I was in Tower t'other day, and saw your album...I love everything I've heard from it and I know it's quality, but being an impoverished student thought €19.99 was just a little bit steep. If it was €12.99 however, I would probably, nay, definitely have picked it up.

That's just from my perspective, but with so much competition out there, maybe dropping the price a bit would entice more impulse buying?

That, I'm afraid, was the distributor's call. And it was very hard to get distribution. We always sell our albums for 10 Euro at gigs though (don't tell the distributor) so come and get it there!

And before anyone asks why we bothered with distribution it's because whenever we have it El Diablo and NPB always sold healthily enough in areas of the country we couldn't stock ourselves. Want it to be available to as many people as possible.

Ah good stuff. I'll pick it up there so...you'll probably make more out of sales at gigs anyway even if it is half the price.

great thread! I'm in the process of sorting all of this shit out soon enough, just shopping around for the best price on printing the CD cover. I think 12.99 or 13.99 is a decent price for an independent Irish release, anything under looks like a lemon. Thinking about getting a manager too, I'm sick of making phonecalls/emailing venues. How does one get a manager? I don't know

It must be shit. :eek:

;)

shit_fountain.jpg

Sometimes these things take a long time.

Started pre production today and will be launching the album in Whelans in January. Phew, it took a while :)

great thread, ...a lot of ideas confirmed my own suspicions. I think €12.99 is the magic number for an independant Irish album release in stores on the back of the sale/return system. the snob economics / lemon economics of a low price definitely comes into play. like someone else mentioned above i've bought many a cheap €5 cd at gigs/open mics then not bothered to listen to it.

For my own music I'm on a live buzz, do very little recording outside of collaboratons. I do have plans for future releases but a lot of preparation will be in place beforehand, and i'll be quizzing many a musical friend about the detailed do's and dont's involved.

on the professional help tip, I do think artists like Ro should go with a press agent for releases, and hook up with a manager or booking agent for short term live promotion of a release but obviously it's none of my business if he does or not! There's maybe 10-15 independant artists whose albums I'd buy on sight in a shop, and Ro's up there with them, but for non-musicians it takes seeing a name an awful lot in a good context before the name starts to stick in mind

Sometimes these things take a long time.

Started pre production today and will be launching the album in Whelans in January. Phew, it took a while :)

Fair play to you Frobisher.I hope it goes smoothly.

I know this is probably schoolboy shit and I apologise if it sounds patronising but....

I would suggest not doing the final mix until you've had a decent break from it after recording.It's amazing the niggly things that pop up when you listen to your recordings with fresh ears,and they are surely to be avoided at all costs.

€12.99 gets my vote.You don't wanna be selling yourself short.I don't think its extortion to expect your friends to pay that either and I don't think they would consider it so .Unless you've made a complete coaster of a record.

Great responses on this thread. Gazzer; You're bang on about the break between recording and final mix down.

I'll post updates as they come. In the meantime it'd be great if anyone with any thoughts at all chimed in. Others can read this thread an gain alot too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back