any decent indie disco in Dublin of a Saturday night? (2 Viewers)

roxy said:
charlies in howth?! Thought it was apartments. The hotel is apartments now. What charlies are you talking about?

man, that place...
charlies on aungier street

nah, it was further up from capital. There was a pub at that location after charlies closed down, called eh..can't remember the name of it now, and now I have no idea what's there.

Queen Buzzo said:
Which is now Capital. A capital dump indeed, with their stupid sheets and colourdy lights blowing outside it. Charlies had fire on the outside of it. Phuckz sayche.

yeah, was it called jute?
used to drink there on occasion, it was nice but never ever busy. which I guess is why it is no longer open.
spiritualtramp said:
Is there an internerd cafe there now? There was a pub in that spot for a while.

ramps said:
that would be amazing. a dedicated cutie bands club. field mice, vaselines, sea urchins, b & s etc etc. girls dressed in pinafores, boys in breton tops and sunglasses. amazing. if only.

id go. would anyone else?

that would rock

B000003RNE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I seriously think there is a gap in the market for that type of thing. just trying to think of other stuff for the playlist - wouldn't have to be exclusively C86 jangly/fey stuff. it could incorporate the best bits of Britpop, the Cork scene of early nineties, nineties stuff like the Family Cat and Inspiral Carpets and newer indie stuff that gets overlooked - Melys, Persil, Ballboy, Decoration, Camera Obscura and the rest. plus you'd probably throw in a bit more famous stuff to draw half decent crowds.

Jim A. Morrish said:
that was where gorilla biscuits played wasn't it?

great gig but i feel sure that every tall person in dublin attended that show so all i saw was the top of the singers head, sounded great though.
yes. and quicksand.

Davy Chase said:
I seriously think there is a gap in the market for that type of thing. just trying to think of other stuff for the playlist - wouldn't have to be exclusively C86 jangly/fey stuff. it could incorporate the best bits of Britpop, the Cork scene of early nineties, nineties stuff like the Family Cat and Inspiral Carpets and newer indie stuff that gets overlooked - Melys, Persil, Ballboy, Decoration, Camera Obscura and the rest. plus you'd probably throw in a bit more famous stuff to draw half decent crowds.

what venue would you suggest?

i totally agree. i think that dublin needs a good indie club for the likes of us. i know nothing about promoting club nights or djing but if i did....................

fuck man, the family cat!

Davy Chase said:

Davy Chase said:

A similar club just started up here in Belfast on Saturday. Apparently a few people came, had a nice chat round some candles and they even gave out sweeties and badges.

how awfully awfully nice !bog

The Scientician said:
I've discussed doing something like this before with friends but venue has always been a problem.

I think a dedicated real indie night in Dublin faces a few problems. Getting indie snobs to dance has always been a problem, no? Plus you're appealing to people with more obscure tastes, so you can't be sure what people are and aren't familiar with and the kids probably won't go to a disco if they don't know the majority of the music. Regardless of actual music tastes, everyone dances to the well-known crowd-pleasers.

Also, indie nerds are predominantly boys (even Thumped members reflects that) and when it comes to going to clubs at the weekends, boys go where girls are; that's just the way it is. I'd :heart:LOVE:heart: a cute indie disco and I'd put my heart and soul into organising such a thing myself if I thought that it could work in practice- draw crowds, attract regulars, get people dancing, be finanicially viable, etc

yeah. there is a reason whelans are still trotting out The Tape (c) each and every weekend - it's what the punters want to hear. A dedicated and decent indie night might have an audience once a month but I can't see anyone sustaining it once a week.

Zeelander said:
I'd :heart:LOVE:heart: a cute indie disco and I'd put my heart and soul into organising such a thing myself if I thought that it could work in practice- draw crowds, attract regulars, get people dancing, be finanicially viable, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back