any decent indie disco in Dublin of a Saturday night? (1 Viewer)

Indie discos can work. It just depends on how you define indie. If you were doing a club playing most of the stuff talked about on thumped about 12 people would go. If you did something genuinely eclectic with an emphasis on getting folks to dance instead of standing around stroking their chins wondering which fall record is up next 32 people would go.
I miss screamadelica.

Indeed. Had a mini one when i was djing a couple of months back. Fun

man carnival on a tuesday night plays pretty decent music. i know one of the lads who dj's there as does fearghal mckee. music is good but would not be of the thumped uber indie stylings ie. arcade fire, interpol etc but the place is a veritable utah salt plain of activity. was there a few times and it was so dead which is a pity cause it was pretty good. it is also a tuesday night which is a shocking night for a club.

myself, billygannon and a few others tried to get something together around 3/4 years ago in Doyles...it was called Plethora, then Tourist...we had some live music and DJ's in the first floor...we charged 3 quid (then 4 euros)which was nothing. The first time we did it was great, loads turned up, including lots of thumped people, and everyone had a good time (or so we were told).

but then numbers dwindled and we had to stop after doing it 3 or 4 times as it just wasn't worth running it if only 20 people tunred up...

if anybody would be up for starting something like this again let me know as I would give it another go.

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=778&highlight=tourist+club

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=704&highlight=tourist+club

P. Littbarski said:
myself, billygannon and a few others tried to get something together around 3/4 years ago in Doyles...it was called Plethora, then Tourist...we had some live music and DJ's in the first floor...we charged 3 quid (then 4 euros)which was nothing. The first time we did it was great, loads turned up, including lots of thumped people, and everyone had a good time (or so we were told).

but then numbers dwindled and we had to stop after doing it 3 or 4 times as it just wasn't worth running it if only 20 people tunred up...

if anybody would be up for starting something like this again let me know as I would give it another go.

Crikes! I remember that. It was with Sinead Byrne and Diarmuid O'Hara.
I remember that homeless busker guy who came in to play and stormed out after two songs.

That'd be fun to put on again. Pity I'm leaving Dublin, because I'd be on for doing it.

with indie clubs it's always a problem, do you go down the whelans route of playing pixies/stone roses/etc non stop and draw the crowds or go more leftfield and risk having 20 trainspotters at the show.

even best mates can't always go every week for one reaon or another so one can't always depend on them top pad out the crowd.

the eternal quandry of the indie club promoter

I reckon you need to approach it like any business and put a bit of capital away for decent advertising for the first few nights until the weight of brilliance of the club..(let's assume it is brilliant) can do all the advertising for you. Just putting on a club and hoping people will come is no good imho.Mates at the first one and then ziiiiiiiiiiiiip. After that you gotta have some kind of draw other than a d.j in a box. Too many clus you pay in and get fuck all for your money only ripped off at the bar.

Anyone remember the club that used to go on in the Ifc on a sunday night back in the day? Cant remember what it was called but it was brilliant..they always had different shit on in the backround..visuals, preformance artists drummers..a real sense of pagent about it. Whelans and a bar with bloc party comming out of the speakers? no fucking thanks.

my two cents.

freakscene down here has managed to keep going for over ten years, not quite as leftfield as I'd be into personally and, being on a wednesday, I rarely get there much anymore due to work early on thursdays but it does well all the same.

i think their record crowd for a wednesday was 1400 people!! That was when they were in Sir Henrys a few years back.

indie-club trivia: Bill of Boa Morte co-founded the night many moons ago.

Latex lizzie said:
I reckon you need to approach it like any business and put a bit of capital away for decent advertising for the first few nights until the weight of brilliance of the club..(let's assume it is brilliant) can do all the advertising for you. Just putting on a club and hoping people will come is no good imho.Mates at the first one and then ziiiiiiiiiiiiip. After that you gotta have some kind of draw other than a d.j in a box.

i totally agree with you there lizzie. No promoter can depend on mates filling his event every week, the world just doesn't work that way. PLUS bar/club owners get jumpy quickly if there's 2 or 3 quiet nights in a row.

I also imagine it's quite difficult in dublin to get a good central location cheaply on a saturday night.

Mid week I reckon it is easy enough to get a place virtually free if you can bring in a crowd. I can think of a few places that would be suitable. Weekends however are a different matter unless you run it on a sunday night..then It is easier again..I know one or two clubs who run for free in their chosen venue so its all good. Makes sense when you a pub/bar to get guys who are commited and have a good game plan to draw the punters in.

Latex lizzie said:
Mid week I reckon it is easy enough to get a place virtually free if you can bring in a crowd. I can think of a few places that would be suitable. Weekends however are a different matter unless you run it on a sunday night..then It is easier again..I know one or two clubs who run for free in their chosen venue so its all good. Makes sense when you a pub/bar to get guys who are commited and have a good game plan to draw the punters in.

what venues would you have in mind?

overall, some interesting points raised. some of the reasons raised as to why it might fall through are probably valid but still, could be worth a go.

I suppose about once a month would be enough (if only to keep it fresh). surely it'd generate enough interest to keep that going.

midweek or sunday would be fine i guess.

I'd be happy to help out if anyone wants to get in touch.

i'd love a good indie disco and i have fond memories of button moon upstairs in frazers..but it was the same dilly..first few weeks it was jammers and then it just emptied..on their last night there was about 20 people there..but it was really good..vodka and red bull for like $1..good times..

he was on in carnival on the april bank holiday sunday and he played deadly stuff and the pub was full. ive been in carnival on a tuesday and its almost deserted.

Ben Richards said:
man carnival on a tuesday night plays pretty decent music. i know one of the lads who dj's there as does fearghal mckee. music is good but would not be of the thumped uber indie stylings ie. arcade fire, interpol etc but the place is a veritable utah salt plain of activity. was there a few times and it was so dead which is a pity cause it was pretty good. it is also a tuesday night which is a shocking night for a club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back