ants are cool (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
a few days ago i was cleaning the bathroom and noticed a few ants carrying a small spider carcass away. it was amazing - there were the main carrion carriers, and then there were these messenger dudes that would go off and seek help or i dunno....send ant messages to other dudes in their gang. and they were really fucking fast too! they were such a great little team. then when they got to the drain where they were taking the spider they all reformed and there were ants pushing while others pulled. i must have watched them for five minutes - i was transfixed!
and last night on animal plant was an Attenborough program on ants and stuff - you hear people saying they step on them and find them annoying but they're a really amazing species; they are constantly working as a team. fair enough, i don't want a heap of red ants living in the same space as me, but ants need our respect, yo.

ant_horde.jpg

and here's a predictable picture of adam ant

adam_ant.jpg

i remember a few years back spending about 30 mins trying to free an ant from a piece of sellotape I left on the ground.

he/she survived.

i was thinking only of your general anti-small-crawly-things stance. they are impressive...

cockroaches and giant centipedes are not small!

ants on the other hand just go about their business. and they have a pleasant and non-threatening manner about them which i find agreeable.

cockroaches and giant centipedes are not small!

ants on the other hand just go about their business. and they have a pleasant and non-threatening manner about them which i find agreeable.

Unless of course they're the nasty stinging/biting ones.

Most fascinating, but also alarming, thing I saw in Thailand. Quite large red ants were making a nuisance of themselves so we were killing them. As we killed them these small black ants (about 1/8 the size) were coming along and dragging away the carcases!

As we killed them these small black ants (about 1/8 the size) were coming along and dragging away the carcases!

yeah that's the stuff! they're like little coolies or something - amazing.

and you know in a colony (is that the collective name for ants?) they have these dudes who sit in the periphery - guard ants. they're little warriors who fight to the death if a predator comes a' knockin.'

badass.

Ants are indeed cool and so clever, also used to love watching those films from years ago about the killer ants who in their millions would devour anything in their path including humans.:eek:

Ants are indeed cool and rockin. There are some species of them where the soldiers ants have huge, serrated, chopping jaws and others who have heads that are modified into acid-shooting tubes! Formic acid. It's not all about the killing though. There are ants that live in tidal mangrove swamps and they have to move to move the babies (ok, larvae) in and out of the lower chambers every day! Someone I was watching it with said "why don't they just move above the tide line?" but I thought it was cool and fascinating.

La la, if you like that you should check out bees. They have a weird auld society going on.

La la, if you like that you should check out bees. They have a weird auld society going on.

well i watched the most amazing national geographic a few weeks ago about Hornets. they are tough bastards, they are.

They invaded a bee hive and i can only describe the carnage that followed as resembling something out of Rwanda in the mid-nineties.

they murdered EVERY SINGLE BEE in the hive - which must have amounted to thousands!

some of it was in slow motion too.

im always in awe of the guys behind the cameras who manage to intricately film small insects/larvae/etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back