anarchist superstars? (1 Viewer)

damien

Since 2000
this all seems quite unbelievable but...

from http://indymedia.no/news/2002/09/2745.php

Basketball superstar Michael Jordan, who recently announced that he will return for a second season with the Washington Wizards, has decided to display solidarity with a variety of causes by wearing a black armband during games. After discussing his new season with the Wizards at a press conference, Jordan was asked about the significance of the black armband he had been spotted wearing. "It's in the tradition of silent but visible protest," Jordan said, "like the Tinker kids, Tommie Smith, and John Carlos." Jordan was referring to the famous Tinker v. Des Moines free-speech case in which two high school students won the right to wear black armbands in school as a protest against the Vietnam war, as well as the two black US athletes who gave the Black Power salute during the 1968 Olympics. When pressed by reporters to explain what the armband represented, Jordan continued: "Well, a variety of things, actually. Number one, I'd like to express some solidarity with the people protesting against the IMF and World Bank. I mean, read the stories in the paper -- they all talk about what the protesters are doing, and not why they're protesting. So I thought I could draw some attention to that." Jordan went on to say that he supported the Palestinian struggle and was firmly against what he called "US imperialist antics" in the Middle East. "What are we doing there? Come on, y'all. Oil. Oil, and old scores to settle. That's it!" Jordan said. However, it was Jordan's scathing words for his employer, Nike, which were most surprising. His voice rose and he counted his reasons on his fingers as he spoke. "You know, most of all, I feel bad for dealing with Nike, for so many reasons. It bothers me that they are still using child labor. It bothers me that they have inundated the Third World with billboards advertising their high priced shoes made for pennies by little kids. And I'm talking about the Third World in the US, in the inner city, as well as in Asia and South America, you know?" Jordan also said that he felt some responsibility for speaking out since he had been employed as a Nike spokesperson for so long. When asked what would happen with his current Nike contract as well as his millions of dollars in assets from Nike endorsements, Jordan paused and rubbed his head before replying. "I'm not sure yet. I've been thinking about setting up a foundation or fund that would grant this money to nonprofits and other grassroots groups fighting hard on these issues. Something's gotta be done with all this money, that's for sure. I want to support the worldwide resistance." Nike spokesperson Maria Eitel said in a faxed press statement that the company was "sorry to see Michael turn his back on our lucrative partnership." The company denied using children in their factories or tolerating sweatshop conditions despite recent reports by groups like Global Exchange citing Nike for low standards and labor violations. Myrna Shinbaum, public relations director for the Jewish Anti-Defamation League, said that Jordan was "obviously anti-Semitic" and vowed that any celebrity who came out in support of the Palestinian cause would be "utterly closed off from public life forever." Jordan later said that he was sorry for upsetting people, but that he felt obligated to "finally follow my conscience instead of the almighty dollar." He strongly urged all other Americans to do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back