Analogue vs Digital (1 Viewer)

Re: Random Photos

Them photos are shit, even if they are extremely popular with the flickr bear loving community. You take things too seriously.
I think if you sit back and take a look at my posts you will slowly realise I don't take things seriously at all. I'm not the one with the mad hitler attitude saying that if you sometimes take a photo with an auto setting then you are everything that's wrong with photography. Lets just leave it at that, I'm right and you guys think you're right.

are you on here buzzing again??? why not just post nice pics like everyone else does. Or just start wandering around sticking your nose in everyone elses shit without figuring out what's going on or reading all the previous posts, just like me.

Fixed that for you

lads (and maybe ladies), there's no point in scrappin.

even manual photography is a mechanical process.

everything about photography is industrial and about machines (and chemicals) so there is no point in getting to precious about.

it may take a longer time to get to grips with film and processing but you're still working within the parameters of the chemicals, film and machine

there is skills in being a good photographer that has the time to remember everything there is to know about taking a good photo.

I think if you sit back and take a look at my posts you will slowly realise I don't take things seriously at all. I'm not the one with the mad hitler attitude saying that if you sometimes take a photo with an auto setting then you are everything that's wrong with photography. Lets just leave it at that, I'm right and you guys think you're right.

My point was that you're taking other people's posts too seriously. Now post some pictures or gtfo.

You're inability to listen to anyones ideas but your own are your downfall. Are you still using a camera obscura or maybe you have moved on to a box brownie?
Maybe william egglestons decision to let a machine make a decision for him is a decision by william eggleston?. Or Martin Parr for that matter or Joe McNally or Rankin.

I use this
AAAAAvdB9uUAAAAAACeT5A.jpg

I listen to everybodys "ideas" and those people are now no longer photographers.

Photography has been basicly the same principal since it's invention. Every theorist on the subject of photography has said that the terminology used to describe the act of photography is shared with that of hunting especially the term "shoot". What modern cameras do is the equivelent of what modern guns do. They allow the hunter to fire off round after round or frame after frame each shot as percise as the one preceding it for me this is wrong, utterly wrong. It removes all the chance from it. When Cartier Bresson descibed the descisive moment he was talking about the camera being an extention of the body and the memory he was talking about capturing a second by sheer will it was poetic almost a spiritual experience for him. You point decide and click, you miss more often then you get. It's the camera manufacturers that say things like "never miss a thing" or "perfect results every time" the Photographers accept this impossibility. For me if you don't control everything about the camera then you can't claim to be the author of of the image. Guitars don't play themselves, Novelists don't have a charachter generator or a chapter finisher option. Photography is about controlling three things aperature, shutter speed, focus, three simple decisions which decide the finished image You can't leave any of these up to a chip and call yourself an artist.

I'll take producing pictures that I'm happy with over being an "artist" any day.

washing cattle, i'd think that this street photography stuff is a phtogrpahy art where the camera is the least important part of it, and having a point and shoot that delivers every time is what you need. i like your purist approach though. i cant remember the name of the new york guy who basically goes in peoples face a lot, but there's nothing automated about how the people react in those, although the camera may be 50-80% automated for that kind of work, the capture is an organic thing.

123go, thats great advice. if only you would take it.

Fair enough. No need to put inverted commas around artist though. Photography is art and art is not a bad word.

Out of curiosity, do you have a set of rules for every art form? I don't think art should have rules at all, hence the inverted commas. I don't get to be an artist if I don't follow are prescribed set of rules? Fuck that.

i cant remember the name of the new york guy who basically goes in peoples face a lot, but there's nothing automated about how the people react in those, although the camera may be 50-80% automated for that kind of work, the capture is an organic thing.

Bruce Gilden? I wouldn't say he does auto-anything. Flash, aperture set for distance to subject, zone focus .. off you go. But that's beside the point.

What makes it art?*

* i bet it has nothing to do with the machine and the ability to balabce the three functions of the machine.

A human being decides to make something that illisits an emotional or intellectual responce, it's art. Well it's art or food I'm blurry on the art/food defination

washing cattle, i'd think that this street photography stuff is a phtogrpahy art where the camera is the least important part of it, and having a point and shoot that delivers every time is what you need. i like your purist approach though. i cant remember the name of the new york guy who basically goes in peoples face a lot, but there's nothing automated about how the people react in those, although the camera may be 50-80% automated for that kind of work, the capture is an organic thing.

123go, thats great advice. if only you would take it.

I have no problems with the advance in technology I just can't abide handing over control to it.

i'm sure a real artist can do amazing shit with chips

see above

Out of curiosity, do you have a set of rules for every art form? I don't think art should have rules at all, hence the inverted commas. I don't get to be an artist if I don't follow are prescribed set of rules? Fuck that.

Of Course. But I wouldn't say rules more of ideals.

Bruce Gilden? I wouldn't say he does auto-anything. Flash, aperture set for distance to subject, zone focus .. off you go. But that's beside the point.

exactly the
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
i was thinking of. and your probably right about that too. bad example for illustration purposes.

I didn't say that and they're my rules, you get to make up your own and ignore them if you want. Thats art for ya.

I have no problems with the advance in technology I just can't abide handing over control to it.

i'm a product designer (by training) so I see probably just see the chip as an extension of the machine. working with film/chemical processing etc is just comanding a set of variables that have already been determined by the product designer.

but what you're saying is the same stuff the painters were freaking out about with the advent of photography - the death of art and all that.

maybe creative types have an oversensetivity to redundancy.

I didn't say that and they're my rules, you get to make up your own and ignore them if you want. Thats art for ya.

Sorry that's how I read the quote below. Maybe you should change the you to I and yourself to myself if it only applies to you.

Photography is about controlling three things aperature, shutter speed, focus, three simple decisions which decide the finished image You can't leave any of these up to a chip and call yourself an artist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back