Analogue vs Digital (1 Viewer)

Re: Random Photos

I'm with the cattle washer on this one. Auto focus is acceptable but.

focus - the easiest thing to get right manually - is okay to automate, but exposure - much trickier - is not?

Most cameras have a light meter to help with the exposure and I like having control over the ratio between the aperture and shutter speed. I find the camera's auto focus does a good if not better job than my eye, 9 times out of 10 anyway, but there's always exceptions. A lot of stuff with a narrow depth of field, like your leaves, really benefits from being manually focused.

No automation is acceptable to me. But what is most galling about the post that started this is that 123 has basically looked at a photogrphers work and glibly said "ah sure the camera does all the work these days there's nothing to really just tilt it to the left or right to make it a bit arty like and hit a button" it's this reasoning that will destroy professional photographic practice, and lead to a serious drop in standards in particular of photojournalism forever. If you let a machine do the work you learn nothing about the discipline, you may learn a lot about the machine but you'll be a dilatant in terms of the basic fundementals of what that machine does. Photography is the art of trapping light in a box and pressing it to paper, that simple, once the box is making the decisions the art is finished. FACT.

No automation is acceptable to me. But what is most galling about the post that started this is that 123 has basically looked at a photogrphers work and glibly said "ah sure the camera does all the work these days there's nothing to really just tilt it to the left or right to make it a bit arty like and hit a button" it's this reasoning that will destroy professional photographic practice, and lead to a serious drop in standards in particular of photojournalism forever. If you let a machine do the work you learn nothing about the discipline, you may learn a lot about the machine but you'll be a dilatant in terms of the basic fundementals of what that machine does. Photography is the art of trapping light in a box and pressing it to paper, that simple, once the box is making the decisions the art is finished. FACT.
I was was taking the piss about punks post and Simon's question. I find it highly ignorant when you say no automation is acceptable, I'm sure you have looked at a lot of professional photographers work, photos taken on automatic settings, and liked it without realising. For me, if someone thinks that for photography to be 'right' it has to be done fully manual, it means that photographer still has a lot to learn.

As for Moose, I'm really sorry to hear you have such difficulties taking pictures of leaves.

I use manual on the camera most times but if I am driving or walking into town I have my own preset switched on for when I want to get that 'amazing capture' shot and obviously you can miss it if you start trying to sort out a shot.
You are all that is wrong with photography. As Shakespeare once said, "It is a far greater picture that you lose using manual, than the false image you get with auto exposure"

You are all that is wrong with photography. As Shakespeare once said, "It is a far greater picture that you lose using manual, than the false image you get with auto exposure"
I never done Shakespeare.

What was your user name on boards.ie?

I was was taking the piss about punks post and Simon's question. I find it highly ignorant when you say no automation is acceptable, I'm sure you have looked at a lot of professional photographers work, photos taken on automatic settings, and liked it without realising. For me, if someone thinks that for photography to be 'right' it has to be done fully manual, it means that photographer still has a lot to learn.

As for Moose, I'm really sorry to hear you have such difficulties taking pictures of leaves.

Everyone should be learning constantly.

Decisions made by a machine are not decisions.

Absolutely no automation is acceptable.

That's the discipline. End of story.

Everyone should be learning constantly.

Decisions made by a machine are not decisions.

Absolutely no automation is acceptable.

That's the discipline. End of story.

You're inability to listen to anyones ideas but your own are your downfall. Are you still using a camera obscura or maybe you have moved on to a box brownie?
Maybe william egglestons decision to let a machine make a decision for him is a decision by william eggleston?. Or Martin Parr for that matter or Joe McNally or Rankin.

I remember you, Barry O' Carroll, some nice stuff but I hated your permanent huge borders.
Then again I'm pretty anti border and anti signature.
It's not me. I hate his borders and retared sigs too. And I get bored with his singular style of processing.

I searched, you are not even in 1 Photography thread??
You post in wierd forums though, religious ageism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back