Amps (1 Viewer)

I dug out my old amp last night and plugged it in for the first time in about a decade. It seems kind of quiet and it sounds like my guitar has some loose wiring in it. I think I’ll need to visit some kind of rock physician.

My Sound City 120 is getting a long overdue service here at the minute, new power switch and new IEC socket for starters. Might mod the preamp while I'm at it although I haven't used that side of the amp for years.

Did a deal/swap for this today - Vox pathfinder 15r. Haven’t given it a proper road test, but first impressions are good. There’s a lot of raving about these on the guitar nerd sites..
View attachment 16744

This is the recently complained about crackling amp - d on the g string gives a distinctly electrical as opposed to (purely) mechanical.
I reckon I've either got a loose component or dying cap in there. it's reached the threshold of wanting to do something about it.

while I do love the sound and simplicity of it, the amp is worth about 100euro at the absolute absolute outside, so I don't want to spend a bomb on it. I'm going to upgrade/replace the power filter caps, and reflow some of the other joints while I'm in there.

if that doesn't work I'm not sure what I'll do next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back