Age gap in relationships? (1 Viewer)

It Will Never Last

Be interesting for a thumped perspective on this...

Thread posted on a football board I use in the UK a few days ago (can't link cos its restricted access) but here's the gist of it:

Thirty-something man, married with a young child. Partner announced she was pregnant shortly after they'd split up (pre-wedding) a few years ago, he did the honourable(?) thing and stuck around for the kid. Now suspects she's having an affair, possibly with her boss in work.

Anyway, he's been chatting on msn with a 16 year old girl he knows recently. She's the daughter of a workmate of his, the workmate knows he's in touch with her on msn but not to the extent that its been happening. Says he thinks he's starting to form a bond with her, and asked for thoughts on what he should do, and whether it was kosher for him to get with a 16 year old girl.

Leaving aside the background (and adjusting for Irish law), how would thumped folk respond to a thirty-something bloke in a relationship with a 17 year old girl?

Football fans being football fans, the guy got slated on the board, with many suggesting he'd get a kicking if it were their daughter.

Thoughts? And no, its not me.

I think thats disgusting. I cant say much though, I know a girl having an affair with her married manager.

Sounds like this dude is less concerned with the age gap in his relationship and more so with other people's perception of the age gap in his relationship. The fact that he wants people on the internet to tell him that they think it's ok says a lot about him. That said, though, I could be completely wrong. Maybe it's R.Kelly - wasn't he into riding little girls?

I think it would be fine, if he waits 5 years. A 16 or 17 year old hasn't yet lived life and hasn't yet had a chance to figure out who she is or what she wants out of life. It's not about the age difference, it's about the age. She is too young.

Did anyone see that program on BBC I think about the teacher who went off with a 17 year old and she was expecting or something at the time...

Teacher riding tut tut.

I think it would be fine, if he waits 5 years. A 16 or 17 year old hasn't yet lived life and hasn't yet had a chance to figure out who she is or what she wants out of life. It's not about the age difference, it's about the age. She is too young.
She won't be into older men by that stage :(

She won't be into older men by that stage :(

Not true, but she will have gone past the age where flattery can overcome sense and even her own true feelings. She won't be as into unsuitable men, as she will have a better idea of what she needs and wants in a relationship... which will be a good thing. And if the relationship/friendship can't survive a few years then it certainly shouldn't be happening now. It could be fun for a guy but it could ruin that girl's life, and her future relationships.

Yer man from Lost (Sai-eed I think it was) eloped with his teacher when he was 16. It was in the news and everything.

Never did him any harm, and look at him now - he's a millionaire.

Ergo, based on my case studies, getting off with older men/women makes you set for life*.

*1 case studied. example case may have been dreamt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back