Afghan hunger Strikers (1 Viewer)

The latest is that Integrating Ireland, Residents Against Racism and a human rights lawyer have convinced at least 20 of the men to re-enter the asylum process with garuntees of NGO support and adequate legal counsel. The children are still wards of the HSE.

The bad news is even after the men were detained in Bridewell after days of fasting, the Gardai brought them no food - maybe also no water - for at least 4 hours. Not bringing food to them at such a critical stage, after being on hunger strike, deserves prosecution. Luckily, some members of Integrating Ireland brought them food and clothing, which they also don't have.

What a rip.

jane said:
What I'm wondering is this: if someone -- hypothetically -- can show that he or she is at risk of being slaughtered upon returning to his or her home country, but that he or she was or is a member of a group that was or continues to be responsible for some pretty bad shit, what is a productive way of handling this? Will Ireland turn away Taliban, but accept a Northern Alliance fighter who might have raped and pillaged, too? I'm not arguing for one side or another, but I am asking if perhaps it might be useful to discuss what this situation has brought up.
I definitely agree that it might be useful to discuss this. Does anyone know what 'criteria' the government have when it comes to asylum seekers who have been part of organisations that were responsible for criminal activies (the whole gamut from pillaging to genocide)? Is this taken into account when processing their applications? I always presumed it was but if (allegedly) former Taliban members are listing this as their reason for seeking asylum then maybe it's not considered to go against them. Personally I would have a huge problem with members of organisations that rode roughshod over the human rights of others being given asylum ahead of others who were innocent victims of exactly such groups. I get really narked about this as a few years ago I worked for a charity that had quite a few clients from Rwanda and the Sudan, amongst other places, who had been raped and tortured by marauding bands of soldiers/rebels/insurgents (or however they wanted to classify themselves). In some cases their families had been killed and their homes burned. For most of them returning to their homeland, if not physically dangerous, would have been hugely psychologically traumatising. I would hate to think that one of the so-called soldiers responsible for these sort of attacks would ever be granted asylum ahead of one of their victims and given that the government lets such a pitiful number stay then that could quite easily be the case.

Saying all this I imagine it's a nightmare trying to ascertain people's past involvment in this sort of bad shit so I can see how some might slip through the net. That's if the net is present in the first place...Also, as Jane points out in her post, are crimes in the name of one cause less heinous than those committed by another? Again my take would be that a criminal act is a criminal act and perpetrators should be held accountable in their own country and not be allowed to escape justice by fleeing to others. Except, as I said above, I'm sure it's not that simple to establish the guilt or innocence of someone from a different country where so many atrocities have been committed that noone has kept track of those who carried them out.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

jane said:
Yeah, I hadn't known that, either, and I appreciate it, too.

I was getting really frustrated at the kind of 'information' that was coming out, and I felt like the only opinion I was able to form on the matter was that there was a severe lack of any real information, and a hell of a lot of rhetoric.

likewise, it was all vauge. Dont like making up my mind on half or none the story.

potlatch said:
The bad news is even after the men were detained in Bridewell after days of fasting, the Gardai brought them no food - maybe also no water - for at least 4 hours. Not bringing food to them at such a critical stage, after being on hunger strike, deserves prosecution. Luckily, some members of Integrating Ireland brought them food and clothing, which they also don't have.
You can kill someone by feeding them after such a long time, that'd be mad if someone from integrated Ireland had killed them with a rasher sandwich.
seanc said:
I'm glad I kept me head out of this one. I would have found it hard not to play devils advocate...
Me too.

potlatch said:
Especially after their teeth fell out. Eh, no, they didn't receive any treatment for 4 hours whats I was told.
The evening herald said they got a 10000euro meal from Zaytoons paid for by taxes that came from Irish children.... money that was supposed to be used to sort out the health system.

saculusabcybium said:
The evening herald said they got a 10000euro meal from Zaytoons paid for by taxes that came from Irish children.... money that was supposed to be used to sort out the health system.

timeo Danaos et donam ferentes

They had to go out themselves and find medics and buy food - fuxache.

The whole thing about (damning) highly confidential information about one of the asylum seekers being leaked by the Department of Justice is another issue we need to get McDowell on.

Write him a letter, submit a parliamentary question, visit him in his clinic, tell him you'll make sure no one votes for him, whatever.

Quite disappointing to see the level of political debate on this or even why it should be debated. Some of the guys have been in the system for over five years and if you are familiar with the asylum system and the direct provision programme that asylum seekers are forced to live under you would realise how humiliating and degrading the system is.

The asylum system is racist and designed that way, if you have ever been to the garda national immigration bureau or the refugee application centre with someone you will witness it first hand. Now with fast tracking countries asylum claims are being rushed and the more you get through the more you will get paid which loads of mistakes are being made. When asylum seekers first apply over 97% are turned down no one in their right mind could say that is fair.

With regards to the Afghan hunger strikers now- we have been meeting with them and organising solicitors and other legal advice and residents against racism are calling a demonstration outside kilmainham courthouse for the 19th of June at 10am for when the guys are back in court and we hope people will show up and give the guys support and solidarity.

p.s. dont believe everything or rather nothing you read in the indo or herald.

The Herald the last few years has so tried to imitate the English tabloids that have flooded these shores.

The Evevning Press was such a superior paper to it/

Fucking Heddld and printing the faces of the kids. They ain't seen the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child? But then, weren't the protesters encouraged to court press attention?

Anarchafem, are you RAR? Or what org/group you with?

Have not read everything from this thread dont have the time but when the guys came out of the cathedral they went to a special sitting of bridewell district court and were NOT given any special medical attention in fact RAR and other groups had to arrange that and they did not get any bloody meal or any sort of food when they left the cathedral by the state or otherwise seriously only idiots believe that and what they read in the herald which to remind is owned by independent papers.

Potlach? They were encouraged to court media attention? What exactly do you mean by that? The rubbish and lies that was wrote about the men was and is disgusting but that is what you get from right wing anti asylum/immigration media.

The lack of empathy and humanity is shocking and demoralising it takes someone in a desperate situation to do that and maybe people would realise that if they got from out behind their keyboards.

And no I am not RAR but I am a member of RAR.

lion-neck-rings.jpg

oh RAR, not RAWR. My bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back