Adults who read Harry Potter (1 Viewer)

I read a Mills and Boon start to finish last week. I was staying not in my house, and had nothing to read to get me asleep. Thought I'd pass out after two pages but I couldn't stop. I had to know if they'd get back together. They diid, thank goodness.

n125079.jpg

why waste time worrying about who's reading what? Seriously. For all you know Hec, these people on the DART might have been up all night reading Crime and Punishment and a bit of the auld HP is just providing them with a little light relief. I have them all, I also have a lot of other 'worthy' books. I will basically read anything, me. Including Mills and Boon Medical Romances. Oh doctor!!

I read a Mills and Boon start to finish last week. I was staying not in my house, and had nothing to read to get me asleep. Thought I'd pass out after two pages but I couldn't stop. I had to know if they'd get back together. They diid, thank goodness.

n125079.jpg

I used to live in an apartment where every available surface/cupboard/drawer was overflowing with Mills & Boon books.

I always wanted to meet the woman who owned it - if the place itself was anything to go by she was a middle-aged, cardigan-wearing, chronic masturbator with a thing for boats.

From exposingsatanism.org

This page is for those who seek truth about the book series Harry Potter. Many think it is just harmless fantasy. True it is fantasy, but it is laced with witchcraft and demonology as are most books like it. Many say it gets children reading books who never would do so. I give you this tid-bit to ponder on. If your child did not like to take medicine and you had a chocolate drink with the medicine, plus arsenic in it, would you give it to them? You would if you did not know it was in there and what arsenic was. It is the same scenario with fantasy especially when it is laced with the poison of witchcraft.

e122124A.jpg

Fcuking smug-faced hack bitch. It makes me feel phsically ill to think how much money this bitch has for writing shite. Dan Brown's the fucking same. I hope they both die screaming. Very soon.

Jesus. They're just kids books.. Does she really deserve all the raging bile for being able to construct some fantasy page-turners? Never read any Harry Potter but I can understand the appeal of wanting something that's easy to read and entertaining every so often, even if it doesn't have much literary merit. A lot of adults don't read any books, unfortunately, maybe if something like Harry Potter gets them into the habit they'll eventually pick up on the "serious" stuff.

I've heard that 'well at least they're reading something etc.' argument before. I just think a lot of adults that read Harry Potter books or buy them for their kids do so because the marketing machine behind the books is massive. It's completely over-hyped and badly written rubbish and there's a lot of other children's literature out there that's way better. Ultimately, it's bad for literature as a whole when muck like this gets peddled.

I've heard that 'well at least they're reading something etc.' argument before. I just think a lot of adults that read Harry Potter books or buy them for their kids do so because the marketing machine behind the books is massive. It's completely over-hyped and badly written rubbish and there's a lot of other children's literature out there that's way better. Ultimately, it's bad for literature as a whole when muck like this gets peddled.

Yeah, but people genuinely like them. I don't really understand it but I definitely agree that it is good that these kids are reading the books. You'd probably agree if you had to read some of the 2000 word text-message style essays I have to read at times.

Of course there are other books out there that are better written but you could say that about any author really (apart from your favourite, I guess).

As for adults reading them, who cares?

We all enjoy a lot of stuff meant for kids. Muppet Show? I love it.

phew, now there's a discussion.

egg, i'm not suprised that you've read them all. you have a wizard type vibe. as opposed to a junior underwriter type vibe. me personally, no thanks, i'd rather read something else, and i tried when everone was at it, thinking, well hey, i loved the narnia crap and lotr and all that giff when i was a nipper, and you know, i'm sure i would have read hp when i was a nipper too, but it turns out i need the word cock to be mentioned every couple of pages or i'm lost...

... but it turns out i need the word cock to be mentioned every couple of pages or i'm lost...

Is it fair to say, then, that these cocks are acting as signposts? I can't imagine they're accurate round the clock, unless there's some sort of serious medication/rigor mortis involved.

As to the Harry Potter thing: I'm half-retard but I've never read a word of 'em, because I'm an unmitigated snob of a demitard - and yet I'll unapologetically read the Lemony Snicket books till the cows come home. Am I confused? Please send help immediately.

Well...... Harry Potter is a marginally more likeable character than Robert Langdon.

And it's a much better series then that Stormbreaker shite.

My Godson loves them and gave me the first two. I read them and struggled to finish the second one. I then bought the third one because when I see him he loves chatting about it.
I read about twenty pages and thought "fuck this". It's so boring.
Thankfully my godsons interest in them started to wane. There was an awkward period when he'd ask me if I liked the bit with Harry and the [insert stupid name here].
I'd just go "oh.......yeah.......that was good........wasn't expecting that...."
I think he knew.

Can you stop using 'godson' as its my last name and it makes me think that you currently have one of my relatives as some form of book slave.......still potter is distinctly a childrens book, if adults read it who cares at least they are reading something! I know people who just flat out dont read and that kind of creeps me out. Still if you read potter you should try some Pratchett or Pullman

I like the HP books. They're fun. I do often wish that Harry would just start fucking people up, cussing, drinking and beating dudes to death with the butt of his wand - but Rowling ain't Bret Easton Ellis so I guess that's that.

They're fun and nicely written and certainly not worth hating.

people who waste time hating rowling are just as boring as people who waste their time hating louis walshe or dan brown.
who hates rowling. fair play to her, i say.

it's cocking idiots who are 27 and like wizards. cop on.

except roy wood, of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back