A U2 Thread (1 Viewer)

A friend from Las vegas sent me this

Supposed to be a great show

I was walking along today thinking About how great Mozart was and had the shining insight that Mozart was the Beatles - could do everything better than anyone - and Beethoven was the Stones - less of a genius, but rocked harder. Very happy with myself and my ongoing ability to pull theories together based on knowing very little about the actual subject.

Anyway, then I read this from Bono, and realise I'm the same cunt I always was

Paul McCartney was there, in fact. Performing for “Macca,” as Bono called the knighted Beatle, was like performing for Mozart.

I fairness a friend was posting on Facebook recently also comparing McCartney to Mozart. It seems to be something in the air. Like the covid

I was reading how Mozart's Dad was a music teacher and teaching the older sister how to play minuets
Mozart (5-years-old) hears this and comes down after hearing them and says he wants to play.
The Dad is all "fire ahead" and Mozart learns these things in like 30 minutes, but then once he's learned them and understands the form, he is then improvising new ones on the piano. Basically mastered a from of songwriting in an afternoon. Fucking 5 years old.
The Dad actually gets what is happening, and is furiously scribbling down what the kid is playing
So we actually have music that Mozart wrote on the fucking fly when he was five.

I can't stop thinking about it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Probably unfair to compare it to Blackbird or Hey Jude, but people will be listening to these pieces/songs as long as there is people.

Apols if this is common knowledge.

This venue is incredible but the four men playing music seem insignificant against this sensory overload

What's the bets there's one of these in Dublin before the housing crisis and cost of living cricis and definitely not a recession crisis have resolved

I've long divided my gigs into ones I go to so I can (for want of a better phrase) worship the songs, and then bands I am curious about

This is an entirely different thing. It seems like it's for the new age of Instagram tourism. A true taunt-your-mates experience, if you have those kind of mates.

Still, I'd go see this, if I was in Vegas.

I'm not a fan of big stadium, arena gigs but I have to admire U2 (& their lighting & set designers) because they do it better than anyone else. They do try and raise the bar of the big concert experience. So fair play to them.

Last edited:
I was reading how Mozart's Dad was a music teacher and teaching the older sister how to play minuets
Mozart (5-years-old) hears this and comes down after hearing them and says he wants to play.
The Dad is all "fire ahead" and Mozart learns these things in like 30 minutes, but then once he's learned them and understands the form, he is then improvising new ones on the piano. Basically mastered a from of songwriting in an afternoon. Fucking 5 years old.
The Dad actually gets what is happening, and is furiously scribbling down what the kid is playing
So we actually have music that Mozart wrote on the fucking fly when he was five.

I can't stop thinking about it.

Probably unfair to compare it to Blackbird or Hey Jude, but people will be listening to these pieces/songs as long as there is people.

Apols if this is common knowledge.

So little Moza was better than U2 when he was 5.
Mozart's sister was apparently very talented but nothing she composed survived.

That joint in Las Vegas is half decent but ain't a patch on The Hut.

What's the bets there's one of these in Dublin before the housing crisis and cost of living cricis and definitely not a recession crisis have resolved

well DCC do need a stupid project to pitch to replace the whitewater rafting at George's dock idea.

That venue looks like a massive pain in the arse.
They want to do something similar in Stratford, as the area is apparently not soilless enough.

A friend from Las vegas sent me this

Supposed to be a great show

I was walking along today thinking About how great Mozart was and had the shining insight that Mozart was the Beatles - could do everything better than anyone - and Beethoven was the Stones - less of a genius, but rocked harder. Very happy with myself and my ongoing ability to pull theories together based on knowing very little about the actual subject.

Anyway, then I read this from Bono, and realise I'm the same cunt I always was

Paul McCartney was there, in fact. Performing for “Macca,” as Bono called the knighted Beatle, was like performing for Mozart.

It looks like the most distracting over-the-top substitute for entertainment. A beacon for capitalism. And if I was a terrorist, I would bomb the fuck out of it

It looks like the most distracting over-the-top substitute for entertainment. A beacon for capitalism. And if I was a terrorist, I would bomb the fuck out of it
Do you mean the U2 show, the Sphere, Las Vegas, the USA, or humanity itself??

So little Moza was better than U2 when he was 5.
Mozart's sister was apparently very talented but nothing she composed survived.
TheRealMoz was better than anyone before or since

My understanding is that the sister was being taught minuets on sheet music by her father
They could both read music, Mozart could not. He did all this by ear.
She was learning, not to compose, but to entertain. That's what folks with a few bob did then.

Again, far from an expert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back