A thought on contemporary Irish music (1 Viewer)

colly

Hey all,

This probably isn't the best way to introduce myself, jumping in the deep end so to speak, but I was wondering about Irish music today. Anyone who is fimilar with dublin bus will know that there is not much to do if you have a long journey with no music/book/friend to keep you company, other than to think.

I am no great lover of contemporary Irish music. I skimmed the surface years back when the frames, damien rice, mundy crowds were darlings of the scene. I dug deeper expecting some undiscovered gems, but found nothing of absolute joy. ( in saying that there are numerous bands that I would be fans of )

I since have found happiness in music coming from abroad, and since devoted all my time to scraping the depths of the many "underground" ( not fond of using cliched phrases ) scenes. I have been satisfied to say the least... Sadly with most of the bands not making it very big and thus not touring outside their respective countries i'm suffering on the live side of things.

Thus bringing me back to looking more at home. I've read through various articles/reviews/posts for the past while and you gusy look like you know whats going on. I've been offered an independant rock show on a radio station and I realised also I would be playing mostly if not all international music, and I was wondering who I can play from our own isle.

Coupled with my recurring want, to know and like the music of a band closer to home, I'm asking you....

What band(s) am I looking for???

Thanks in advance

Colly~!
rant over

Welcome Colly....

You're best bet is to check out the music section on this site and see what you like yourself. There's plenty to choose from.

also worth checking out Cluas.com & Cpu.ie for more music/reviews

the best possible bands and artists to check out at the moment are:

• Agitated Radio Pilot
  • Amoebazoid
  • Betamax Format
  • Bird on Wire & Dave Nuremberg
  • E+S=B
  • FancyGoods
  • Herv
  • Lakker
  • The Last Sound
  • Maersk
  • Medea
  • Miriam Ingram
  • Northstation
  • Piratio
  • Rollers/Sparkers
  • Thread Pulls
  • Tremors
now, if only someone would release all of these people on one, single, easy-to-manage cd.

Yeah I know of CPU and cluas....

Spleh.... I really can't describe cluas any other way.... they just don't do it for me.

Right I've browsed through them and nothing caught my ear especially, so i'm going to give every single mp3 on CPU a listen before I say another word....

I'll report back.

who died and made you Richard Branson?

risc said:

• Agitated Radio Pilot
  • Amoebazoid
  • Betamax Format
  • E+S=B
  • FancyGoods
  • Herv
  • Lakker
  • The Last Sound
  • Maersk
  • Medea
  • Miriam Ingram
  • Northstation
  • Piratio
  • Rollers/Sparkers
  • Thread Pulls
  • Tremors
now, if only someone would release all of these people on one, single, easy-to-manage cd.

risc said:
  • Agitated Radio Pilot
  • Amoebazoid
  • Betamax Format
  • E+S=B
  • FancyGoods
  • Herv
  • Lakker
  • The Last Sound
  • Maersk
  • Medea
  • Miriam Ingram
  • Northstation
  • Piratio
  • Rollers/Sparkers
  • Thread Pulls
  • Tremors

I'm no genius, but your username and post content lead me to believe that there would be such a "single, easy-to-manage cd" about.

or am I looking too much into this?

Colly~!
also easy to manage

colly said:
I've been offered an independant rock show on a radio station and I realised also I would be playing mostly if not all international music, and I was wondering who I can play from our own isle.

What radio station is it? And what stuff from abroad were you listening to?

mostly stuff from the underground british scene as its really getting good over there... most of the lower stuff from america i'm coming across is more smoother like jolie holland but she's a bad example. You kinda get the idea... I just bumped into a someone online who is going to send me some australian stuff in exchange for what Irish bands he hasn't heard of.

The Pipettes and Redjetson are what i'm listening to a lot of recently.

The station is NearFM, it's on paper at the moment, nothing practical is happening til they re-jig the station schedule in march

Pantone247 said:
I can't believe you docked me rep for my Richie Branson post

*shakes head*

almost as much as I can't believe your still peddling out that "web" "site" that plainly doesn't exsist

*wags finger*

Now... shake your hips

colly said:
mostly stuff from the underground british scene as its really getting good over there... most of the lower stuff from america i'm coming across is more smoother like jolie holland but she's a bad example. You kinda get the idea... I just bumped into a someone online who is going to send me some australian stuff in exchange for what Irish bands he hasn't heard of.

The Pipettes and Redjetson are what i'm listening to a lot of recently.

The station is NearFM, it's on paper at the moment, nothing practical is happening til they re-jig the station schedule in march

you should chat to Roxy then as she is in there !

Wicker said:
you should chat to Roxy then as she is in there !

I'm co-host on her show actually, I'll be filling in for her a few times when she's off working on her thesis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back