4 string banjo help (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
Do I use mandolin tuning for this? GDAE?
I'm confused. I played a mates banjo in Gallimh and he showed me some chords now I got a loan of one back in Dubland and I'm fuckin clueless. PS I'm lefthanded. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks .|..|

Yep GDAE, I love to get one but I've too many things on my list already.

If I hear another banjo in indie rock, I swear...

In anyways, this is worse than having drums on the guitar forum

28023.jpg

Just wondering..
Would this tuning suit a bazouki too?

I tuned mine to dadg ( i think) and it sounded like the theme tune to Deadwood- (which was nice)

But in an attempt to tune it to my guitar I messed it up and I don't know what to do with it now

I don't play Indie rock. I play avant-foxcore.

Sorry dude, it's wasn't a comment on you, just on the overuse of banjos as the wacky instrument de jour in indie rock the last while.
Bit like the Theramin and the Saw.

Should get my own thread really.
Sorry for the intrusion...

Just wondering..

I tuned mine to dadg ( i think) and it sounded like the theme tune to Deadwood- (which was nice)

But in an attempt to tune it to my guitar I messed it up and I don't know what to do with it now

I reckon it should. (Based on no evidence at all).

Sorry dude, it's wasn't a comment on you, just on the overuse of banjos as the wacky instrument de jour in indie rock the last while.
Bit like the Theramin and the Saw.

Should get my own thread really.
Sorry for the intrusion...

Well I broadly agree with you. We're all used to a broad template of instruments, guitar, keyboard, synth, bass, drums when other more unusual sounds are introduced they initially sound fresh but can be so distinctive that if they're overused it can be irritating.

Just wondering..

yes, and also the dadg turning would suit a banjo.

dadg is used by the trad bozouki heads aparently

Do I use mandolin tuning for this? GDAE?
I'm confused. I played a mates banjo in Gallimh and he showed me some chords now I got a loan of one back in Dubland and I'm fuckin clueless. PS I'm lefthanded. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks .|..|

Yo Mr. Scientician. GDAE is standard for trad banjo. There is a higher pitched tuning in C (I forget the rest of the tuning) using lighter gauge strings which is normally used in jazz banjo.

I myself use GDAE strings and sometimes change to AEAE or AEBE for particular tunes. Will have 2 banjos on the go tonight, one lefty in G and one righty in C. Will give ya go tonight..

Unclealo I was tryna learn one of my songs on the banjo yesterday but I couldn't fucking muster a Dm chord! I'll give it a lash later, maybe you can give me some more banjo top tips. See ya later! :)

That wasn't a dig at you dude

When it's done well its deadly.

Spook do it well.

Peace

I was merely commenting about the overuse of these instruments

What I meant to say was.. "Fuck off ian :D"

Yep nothing worse than token use of a crazzzy instrument. Banjos are underused in my opinion. Great, great instrument

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back