2020-21 Football thread (2 Viewers)

Francis' time as Sheffield Wednesday's most successful boss in the last 60 years was the highlight of nearly 700 games as a manager.

Chris Bart-Williams (1974 - 24 July 2023)
Sheffield Wednesday, Forest and Charlton midfielder has died aged 49.
Bart-Williams was one of the most promising English players at the dawn of the PL era. He died the same day as his Wednesday boss Trevor Francis who oversaw the best days of Chris' career.
A long time US resident, Chris was involved in coaching kids there.

Surprised by how that one landed on me as he never played for my club. I think it's because when I was a kid getting into the game post Italia 90 he was just starting his career out as a teenager. I was a kid watching football, and he was a kid playing it.

Women's World Cup is going along well.
USA, Germany and Brazil have gone home.
Japan are easily the best team of the tournament so far. Playing really good stuff.
Round of last 16 wraps up tomorrow.

Women's World Cup is going along well.
USA, Germany and Brazil have gone home.
Japan are easily the best team of the tournament so far. Playing really good stuff.
Round of last 16 wraps up tomorrow.
Things are lining up ominously well for England.. That Swedish goalie performance against the yanks was very impressive.

Zerica Mosovic the Swede keeper had an awesome match alright and she didn't need to save a penalty in the end! She is the back up keeper for Chelsea.

England weren't great in first two match but Weigman (sic) changed things for the China matches and the goals flowed.
Ciara Walsh is, amazingly, back in training after having a what looked like a horrendous knee injury.

The diverse spread of teams from all over the World is great. Even Haiti or the Philippines went home with the heads held high..

Should have posted this in Fairweather Sports thread actually.

way after the fact now... but Spain deservedly won the final.
good match. after the first 20 minutes Spain were the better team and played nice quick passing football.
Earps was very good.

I wonder what Japan who beat Spain 4-0 a few weeks ago are thinking now

Spain were good in the final. I didn't see the Japan match, but I can imagine it happening - just from the final, I would think that Spain are the sort of team that play good attacking football and go 100% full throttle. If they go behind, they'll only attack all the more, leaving more space at the back to potentially concede more on counters. It's exactly the kind of team that will win most games, but doesn't overly surprise me that they can get hammered in the odd match as well.

Always think of Romania with Hagi in 1994 when I hear that description. Suisse beat them 4-1 in a group match but they played probably the best football in USA '94?

Didn't watch the full Spain 0-4 Japan game either but the stats on the game were crazy.
Spain had 78% possession (894 passes!) but only 2 shots on target.
Japan had 5 shots on target and scored 4 goals. Spain didn't know what hit them.

As we said last year the England women's team are all sound enough and it's mostly the likes of the The Mail, The Sun and their hard right Tory readers who ruin everything.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

FC Utrecht v PSV 21 April 1981.
The stadium was due to be demolished and rebuilt after the match, so Utrecht fans ran riot and deliberately destroyed their own stadium.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

FC Utrecht v PSV 21 April 1981.
The stadium was due to be demolished and rebuilt after the match, so Utrecht fans ran riot and deliberately destroyed their own stadium.

Apparently something similar happened at the Boleyn Ground a few years ago, but before my time. It's a bit unedifying.

Jan Jongbloed (1940 - 31 August 2023)
Dutch goalkeeper who played in two World Cup Finals and won 24 caps.
Jongbloed ('Youngblood') spent most of career at the long defunct DWS Amsterdam winning the Eredivisie in 1963/64.

Jongbloed made his debut for Holland in 1962 and famously didn't play again until the 1974 World Cup finals v Argentina. He became a regular for the Oranje after that with the Argentina 1978 Final defeat being his last cap.

Jan played until he was 45 with Go Ahead Eagles until a heart attack during a match.
He played a record 700+ League matches in Dutch League football. Jongbloed's 684 Eredivisie games is bettered (687) only by contemporary fellow goalkeeper Pim Doesburg (1943 - 2020).

After finally retiring Jongbloed worked as Vitesse assistant manager from 1986 onwards during the clubs first promotion to the Eredivisie and 1990's heyday.

Jan's son Eric-Jan was also a goalkeeper. Eric-Jan died during a match after being hit by lightning in 1984 aged 21.

Jongbloed's Dutch wiki - this a great read.
read why he turned down a move to Ajax in the 70's....

Last edited:
Salif Keita (1946 - 2 September 2023)
One of Africa's greatest players, striker Keita (not be confused with namesake fellow Malian musician) starred for St. Etienne (three Ligue titles), Valencia, Marseilles and Sporting Lisbon.
Keita earned 28 caps (13 goals) with Mali who were runners up in the 1972 AFCON.
Keita was the first African Footballer of The Year in 1970.

I heard of Sailf through his nephews Mohammed Sissoko (Liverpool, Juve) and Seydou Keita (Barca) who spearheaded the next Malian Golden Generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back