2020-21 Football thread (10 Viewers)

Hahaha O'Neil and Cleary should have been sent off after the whistle there too! Hahahaha
BUT
After hearing the manager moaning after the game, looks like he's right this time (and fuck Rovers like). The first red card was extremely soft, the second was deserved alright definite second yellow, but the third was fucking nonsense, lad just wins the ball - could give a free kick if you want, but it's never a second yellow.

Still, shove it up them - Rovers beat Bohs a few weeks ago thanks to 2 totally shit ref/linesman calls, and they weren't complaining then. Their first goal was offside, and then when it was still 1-0 Bohs had one of the clearest penalties you could ever see waved away by the ref.
There is a shit standard of refereeing in Ireland for sure - actually there are a good bunch of refs over here so a lot of matches are fine really, but it seems like the pool of that good bunch isn't big enough, cause every week there's one match that gets absolute clowns overseeing it.

Still funny as fuck seeing it happen to Rovers though hahaha

Bohs were unlucky v Rovers at Dalymount a few back weeks alright.

The last sending off was a ridiculous decision and should be rescinded.
The first one dubious too as you said.

33 mins. gone in Dortmund and they are 2-0 down to Mainz as of 24 mins.
What a disaster - Dortmund just need to win to be Meisters.

Bayern a point behind, are winning in Koln.

Feck this I'm off to watch the Giro!

Coventry v Luton coming on later.
What a comeback from both clubs to get there.

Women's Champions League Final was on at same time as FA Cup Final yesterday.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Barca were 2-0 down at half time but came back to win.
RTE News channel showed it live but I didn't realise until it was over.
A few nice crosses in match but the first goal was a mess and Barcelona's winner was a catalog of errors from Wolfsburg.
Michelle O'Neill was a lineswoman for final.
Not sure why Eindhoven got final. the 2005 UEFA Cup Final (Sevilla v 'Boro) was there despite being smaller than either of those clubs own grounds - Bigger, better venues available.

Had to watch two adverts for shitty vitamin supplement and three for shit fast food in a clip of 8:44 and when clip ended they tried to get me to watch vitamin advert again...

Last edited:
Adrian Sprott (1962 - 10 June 2023)
Remember his famous goal at Ibrox in 1987 for Hamilton Accies?
Rangers went 1196 minutes without conceding until Sprott's goal knocked them out of the Cup.

1996 AFCON winning South Africa manager:

John Hollins (1946 -14 June 2023)
Chelsea legend who played 714 top flight matches between the Blues (1963-75), QPR (1975-79) and Arsenal (1979-83). Only Shilton played more Division 1 games.
At Chelsea Hollins won the 1965 League Cup, 1970 FA Cup and 1971 ECW Cup.
After Chelsea were relegated in 1975, Hollins' QPR nearly won the League in 1975-76. A defeat at Norwich in their second last match gave Liverpool a chance (that LFC nearly blew when they were losing to Wolves until the last 15 minutes of their final match).

After leaving Arsenal, Hollins helped Chelsea to promotion in 1983-84. Only a year earlier Chelsea had nearly been relegated to Division 3. He also made one appearance for Cobh Ramblers in 1984.
Holiins won one cap in 1967.

Hollins became manager at Chelsea after John Neal retired for health reasons in 1985 having transformed Chelsea fortunes (6th in Division 1 in 1984-85).
With Dixon, Speedie, Nevin etc. on board Chelsea were top in early 1986 but tailed off badly and finished 6th.
After that the team went into decline and Hollins was sacked in 1988 with Chelsea on their way to relegation.
He had a spell as caretaker at QPR and three years in charge of Swansea among other roles.

In don't "support" the Ireland football team in that my emotional well being and mood isn't impacted by their results.

But I'd have liked the Kenny thing to work out well.

And it doesn't seem like it's going to.

There's still a part of me that thinks if they're to achieve nothing they should at least achieve nothing trying to play football and not achieve nothing by boring everyone to tears.

The championship, where most of the Irish players are, is a good league. It'd be great to have a bunch of guys at the heights of the English game like Jack had but such is the concentration of money and talent in the PL these days it's a bit like how Jack didn't have a bunch of players in Serie A when he was in charge.

Brendan taking the Celtic job for a second time is it?

giphy.gif

Yahoooo! FUCK YEAH! I really enjoyed that.
This is why I watch football.
Exciting to see supporters-in-a-stadium.
A huge personal triumph for Rogers who got everything right.
Of his players only Iheanacho was disappointing but he doesn't owe anyone anything 'cause of his recent performances.
VAR is an excitement killer at times for supporters in the stadium but if it's interepted properly using it is a no brainer. Today was VAR finest hour.
Kudos to Nate for mentioning Tielemans earlier - he had a hell of a game and this could be Belgium's summer.
Huge respect to Kaspar who only had a few things to do but was super when he needed to be. A really impressive guy who sums up Leicester - like the club Kaspar is the someone who deserves to have good things happen to him.
To see how many Asian supporters there are in Leicester is awesome. A huge change since the 90's.
The Leicester owners understand how simple running a football club can be:
Respect the fans, understand and support the local community, consistently good to inspired decision making and if you get those things right you are welcome to enjoy the reflected glory.

Leicester legend Alan Smith is commentating on Brighton v West Ham at moment - you'd think they could have given him the night off.

was that a Palestinian flag Choudry had after the match ? good on him.
Anyway a great day for football.
How quickly things went down the drain...

Hurry up 'arry?!
He still lives just up the coast.

Is Brian Kerr interested in the Ireland job?
Stephen Kenny's doing better than Kerr did. i.e. failed to beat France, Suisse and the Israelites in 6 matches in 2006 qualifiers despite the fact almost none of the 2023 squad would have gotten considered in Kerr's time.

Hurry up 'arry?!
He still lives just up the coast.

That post was just off the top of my head. But it's funny how his name was never mentioned during the manager carnage of last season. Yet, I'd still see him at games. Hopefully he's just happily retired and not interested, good luck to him if so.

Pure idle speculation on my part.

That post was just off the top of my head. But it's funny how his name was never mentioned during the manager carnage of last season. Yet, I'd still see him at games. Hopefully he's just happily retired and not interested, good luck to him if so.

Pure idle speculation on my part.
Andoni Iraola got the job it was announced quickly.
I'd say every media person phoned 'arry instantly and he dismissed it.

EDIT:: more likely 'arry would have sold the story to The Sun.

Iraola was at Rayo Vallecano who had a very good season for the lefty normally yo yo club.
Leeds tried to get him to replace Marsch a few months back as he is a disciple of Bielsa from his days under him at Bilbao.

remember this on the way to Europa League Final in 2012? Man Utd got annihilated at home by Bielsa's crazy high tempo attacking in numbers. Bilbao should easily have scored at least five.
they did the same thing at the San Mames and to Schalke in both legs of the next round.

Stephane Demol (1966 - 22 June 2023)
Belgian central defender and manager died of a heart attack Thursday evening.
Demol started w/ Anderlecht where he won three league titles before joining Bologna in 1988.
He joined Porto in 1989 winning the 1989-90 league scoring 11 goals that season.
After a season with Toulouse, Demol won a Cup with Standard Liege in 1993 before his career faded out in the 90's.
Demol won 38 caps (1986-91) and played in the World Cup in 1986 and 1990.
His only international goal came in the best game at the 1986 World Cup, aged 20:

Demol was a manager inc. w/ Mechelen, Charleroi and assistant at Standard and a failing Belgium side (2006 -2008) under Rene Vandereycken.

Craig Brown (1940 - 26 June 2023)
Brown took Scotland to Euro 96 and the 1998 World Cup.
He had come up under Andy Roxburgh managing in the Scotland underage set up after an injury plagued playing career.
After failing to qualify for Euro 2000 he later managed Preston, Motherwell, Aberdeen and worked as a commentator.

Vahidin Musemic (1946 - 30 June 2023)
Bosnian striker who won Yugoslavian league with Sarajevo in 1967.
Musemic played in the Euro '68 Final and replay defeat to Italy in Rome. He scored 9 goals in 17 caps for Yugoslavia.
Musemic was plagued with injuries and retired in 1976 after two seasons at Nice.

Klaus Tauber (1958 - 1 June 2023)
Nurnberg, Schalke and Leverkusen striker.
Tauber won the 1988 UEFA Cup with Leverkusen converting the winning penalty in the shoot out v Espanol.
His brothers Stephan and Jurgen also played in the Bundesliga - apparently the only trio of bros to do so.

Read this - known as 'The Boxer' Klaus was a tough bastard who suffered many broken bones himself.

Christian Dalger (1949 - 1 June 2023)
Monaco (1971-82) forward who started and finished his career at Toulon.
Despite playing alongside Argentine goal machine Delio Onnis (scored 299 goals in Ligue 1) Monaco were relegated in 1976 but on promotion immediately became French Champs in 1978. Dalger also won the Coupe in 1980.
Dalger won 6 caps scoring twice. He played v Italy in 1978 World Cup but was dropped for last two group matches.
Like Klaus Tauber, Dalger later had a long journeyman career as a manager, which most notably included coaching Mali.

Vincenzo D'Amico (1954 - 1 June 2023)
Lazio legend who won Serie A in 1973-74 playing as an attacking midfielder with his local club.
D'Amico was at Lazio from 1971-86 apart one season at Torino in 1980-81.
After retiring he had a long career as a football broadcaster.
Vincenzo died of cancer on Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back