2020-21 Football thread (5 Viewers)

never saw this until yesterday:
The Wolfe Tones shot a video for The Celtic Symphony at Celtic Park in the Jungle terrace days.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

is a silly chant more offensive than 12 July stuff? of course not. Celtic supporters will be roaring this a lot for a while.

At least a couple of million Irish folks would need little encouragement to start singing a Wolfe Tones song.

The song is about Celtic FC and in its time got played regularly on Irish radio.
Strange to think how popular The Wolfe Tones were - Streets of New York got to no.1 and My Heart Is In Ireland was nearly as wildly popular as The Fields of Athenry (at least at the time anyway).
My nephew in his 20s loves 'em. This is not unrelated to him a committed Celtic fan.
One of the 'Tones better tunes was called Brave Protestant Men about lads like Parnell, Emmett and Theobald himself.

I find most republican stuff tiresome but I've long given up being bothered about minor stuff.

Didn't Jack Charlton successfully get the Irish team to sing a rebel song for a laugh as a team building exercise?

It wasn't so long ago England fans sang Rule Britannia several times during every game (with their brass band playing the tune) or "Are You Scotland In Disguise". Nevermind some horrible racist crap.

Markel Susaeta (b.1987) spent 12 seasons as a favourite in Athletic Bilbao's midfield. The club only use Basque players.
The Bilbao fans Susaeta inspired chant went:
"SU-SAY-ETA! ETA-ETA-ETA-ETA-ETA!"

Yeah - football team in caught singing football song shock horror. Tactless but blown out of all proportion.

And Una - god bless us

The whole point of sport is that you have your civilised controlled battle and you sing your warsongs and you go home and you don't need to invade the next village after all. That outlet is a pillar of civil society.

Omar Borras (1929 -19 October 2022)
Borras managed Uruguay to the 1983 Copa America.
In Mexico 86 his Uruguay team were knocked out in the last 16 (1-0) by Argentina.
Borras' response to the Mexico 86 draw placing Uruguay in a group with West Germany, Scotland and Denmark (probably the second best team in Europe over the previous few years) was to coin the phase:
"Group of Death".

Just found this match, fucking gas it is. Watch the foul on Robben at 4.40, he nearly has his head taken off!! Referee decision?

Just found this match, fucking gas it is. Watch the foul on Robben at 4.40, he nearly has his head taken off!! Referee decision?

watch this live in 2006 from Nuremberg - things were different back in my day. edited into highlights it looks even more brutal.

that reminds me, I never liked the Portugal team - except all the times they beat England.
the only time I wanted France to do well was Euro 92 and Platini's losers got knocked in the group by Denmark.
they are the only two I'm consistanly biased against (other than England).

speaking of the Group of Death. I've named the group w/ England, Wales, Iran, USA as ''The World War 3 Group''

The only people grappling with it are the Brits

Haha actually that article displays a staggeringly hilarious unwillingness to address anything whatsoever relating to why the whole fucking thing happened at all. What a fucking mouthpiece "Oh it was terrible, oh this side did this and that side did that and this is what all these people think about it now" hahaha, not a single "And eh how did they end up there in the first place then?" Cunt.

Last edited:
Ronnie Radford (1943 - 2/11/2022)

Ronnie Radford (1943 - 2/11/2022)

There was an alternate angle of that goal that made its way online a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back