2020-21 Football thread (2 Viewers)

How did it ever happen that we don't have to deal with this in the south exactly
I am trying to be open here

We don't have to deal with it in the same way - we don't have the blowback from Doug Beattie et al
And from neighbours or even possibly friends who come from different traditions

I'm trying to make a distinction between the FG or D4 attitude where anything about the Troubles is embarrassing in front of their girlfriends, the English

Moreso, that any kind of triumphalism on either side is counterproductive in the long-term, but especially so in the six counties

Yis can all sing what yis like
I don't care

And the last people I'd want to be the poster boys (girls) for this shit is the champs from last night
It sucks that their night got kinda stolen by a fucking TikTok video

I am trying to be open here

We don't have to deal with it in the same way - we don't have the blowback from Doug Beattie et al
And from neighbours or even possibly friends who come from different traditions

You have to be open to the idea that it's 100% to be ok to be proud to be Irish and you don't have to precondition that on what someone from the English army might think. Add in that this team also had to rebel against the FAI to get decent facilities, and still represent their country while doing it at the same time - why wouldn't they adopt a bit of Mna na hEireann spirit in that. Anywhoo. It was funny, i mostly think it shouldn't have been filmed because the dressing room should be their space alone, but primarily this is people getting offended for other people, a favourite pastime on twitter, or people who have to check if it's ok to be Irish.

You have to be open to the idea that it's 100% to be ok to be proud to be Irish and you don't have to precondition that on what someone from the English army might think. Add in that this team also had to rebel against the FAI to get decent facilities, and still represent their country while doing it at the same time - why wouldn't they adopt a bit of Mna na hEireann spirit in that. Anywhoo. It was funny, i mostly think it shouldn't have been filmed because the dressing room should be their space alone, but primarily this is people getting offended for other people, a favourite pastime on twitter, or people who have to check if it's ok to be Irish.

I am completely open to being proud of being Irish. I’d bellow out a Wolfe Tones song with the best of them, or whatever standard you want to apply.

But on a scale where (a notionally drunk) Simon Coveney probably shouldn’t sing (I dunno?) ‘Come Out Ye Black & Tans’ at EU gatherings, and at the other end, Rovers fans can be let sing about Lizzie’s box if they want…. somewhere along there, if you are wearing the crest or representing the country it’s probably not a great idea to sing ‘RA songs.

No more than Billy Bingham should have conducted the Sash to the stands in Belfast.
Leave all that to the fans.

If we want peace in the north and fewer marches and smaller bonfires, then the people representing us have to leave this stuff at the door at official events. Even behind closed doors, cos everyone has a camera. It gives some people on this island the wrong idea . Don’t care what the Tans think. Fuck ‘em.

Up The ‘RA, The Sash, and Inflatable Spitfires or whatever you’re having yourself….. all that jingoistic stuff belongs in the stands.

These ladies have done great and they did what came naturally while high on adrenaline.
I don’t care about the outrage on Twitter. It’s for dopes.
And this has nothing to do with the ladies getting their equal status. All right and proper.

No one should have filmed it or released it. And it blows that it’s overshadowed their achievement.
We have a very rare prize with Vera. And more chance of winning something than we’ll ever have with the men. I wish that was what we were talking about.

I dabbled with a football interest for a while in the 90s. Went to a few NI matches with mates,but couldn't stomach how uncormfatable it felt with all the "prod" side of things being so present. Threatening looks walking to your seat during the national anthem instead of standing to attention,and the flags and chants etc.

I also have a mate who's sons were doing ok for a bit and were playing in the younger international sides ( think early 2010s or so). They didn't stick with the international team as for a team that played in green the atmosphere in the dressing room was very orange.

If you are wearing the crest or representing the country it’s probably not a great idea to sing ‘RA songs.
Just to clarify the context of what you are saying - this the country that was formed on that basis of the IRA staging a war of independence that would not even have a simon coveney, a football team or a crest of our own without the 'ra that we are talking about here, and not some other country :p

i've seen an 'they're only in their early 20s!' argument being made in their defence, which is patronising to people in their 20s.
also curious if it's something they've sung before, i.e. did someone not get the opportunity to tell them 'cut that out'? or is it something they grew up with in soccer circles that's considered fine till it's the national team caught on camera?

Happy to withdraw this opinion if a Nordie (a proper 6-county one) says it's bollocks.
It is bollocks, nobody cares except for dickheads and the press (who happen to be run by dickheads). Vast majority of people just think it's funny because the Celtic Symphony is actually amazing, 10000 people sing it at the West Belfast Festival every year.

I dabbled with a football interest for a while in the 90s. Went to a few NI matches with mates,but couldn't stomach how uncormfatable it felt with all the "prod" side of things being so present. Threatening looks walking to your seat during the national anthem instead of standing to attention,and the flags and chants etc.

I also have a mate who's sons were doing ok for a bit and were playing in the younger international sides ( think early 2010s or so). They didn't stick with the international team as for a team that played in green the atmosphere in the dressing room was very orange.
NI team support is gradually getting better over time, but there's still a lot of loyalist dickheads established in that fan base. And will it ever be comfortable going to Windsor Park right in the middle of UVF land?

The men have a better chance of winning something in the next 10 years than that women's team will have playing the football they play. In this context, better = 2% rather than 1%

Nations league league C (or is it 3, I dunno, it's a bit confusing) champions, you'll never sing that.

Una Mullaly trying to have it every which way and clinging to her position as The Voice Of the Young People

This is nice though

The olds are the the woke mob coming for the kids

View attachment 16349

That's all well and good, but seven commas?

As the heroes of Irish soccer, the women’s football team, danced in their dressing room, they played the Wolfe Tones’ song, Celtic Symphony, which contains the line, “Ooh ah up the ’Ra”, and they sang along.

At least a couple of million Irish folks would need little encouragement to start singing a Wolfe Tones song.

The song is about Celtic FC and in its time got played regularly on Irish radio.
Strange to think how popular The Wolfe Tones were - Streets of New York got to no.1 and My Heart Is In Ireland was nearly as wildly popular as The Fields of Athenry (at least at the time anyway).
My nephew in his 20s loves 'em. This is not unrelated to him a committed Celtic fan.
One of the 'Tones better tunes was called Brave Protestant Men about lads like Parnell, Emmett and Theobald himself.

I find most republican stuff tiresome but I've long given up being bothered about minor stuff.

Didn't Jack Charlton successfully get the Irish team to sing a rebel song for a laugh as a team building exercise?

It wasn't so long ago England fans sang Rule Britannia several times during every game (with their brass band playing the tune) or "Are You Scotland In Disguise". Nevermind some horrible racist crap.

Markel Susaeta (b.1987) spent 12 seasons as a favourite in Athletic Bilbao's midfield. The club only use Basque players.
The Bilbao fans Susaeta inspired chant went:
"SU-SAY-ETA! ETA-ETA-ETA-ETA-ETA!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back