back to bacon.. (1 Viewer)

Someone answer me this.

If beef is a huge waste of resources then veal has had less of an investment of scarce resources in it and should be preferred over beef?

probably, yeah.

i suppose it depends on one's reasons for feeling that vegetarianism is important.

i say that as a vegetarian.

but one who didn't primarily give up because of animal cruelty concerns.

ah mormon, you're great for the leading questions.

I’ve stayed away from meat now for over 2 years now. I gave up mainly because of the shite quality and I was never comfortable with how the animals were slaughtered. I do eat fish however…so im a bit of a prick like that…

I have lost weight since I gave up meat, but giving up the meat was part of a much healthier eating lifestyle I adopted when I legged it from my folks gaff and started to buy and cook food for myself.

Lately though I’ve been getting mad meat cravings and while out for dinner recently I tasted my girlfriends organic chicken dish (god damn you Kinara!), and a few weeks back I scoffed a slice of cold roast beef that was left over from my nannies famous Sunday dinners. Both very enjoyable taste experiences…and made me feel a little bold and horny…

Anyways, I thought Id test myself properly because I was having confusing opinions on why I don’t eat meat…..would I eat it if it was organic? Am I in it for the fluffy animals that are so horribly treated? Do I have a taste for it or wha?

So I bought some expensive organic chicken breasts and made a fuckin great thai curry for the family. My intention was to share in this feast, but by the end of the cooking I was completely disinterested in eating it. The process of cooking the chicken I really didn’t like. The texture, the smell, the look…everything. I ended up having a bowl of rice for me dinner, and I was quite content with that.

True story.

In short, I don’t like meat.

producing two pounds of beef has roughly the same environmental impact as driving 350km, or so i read recently.

what about stuff like quorn? As a vegetarian I'll be damned if i'm gonna start eating vegetables, i've already given up meat!

Anyways, I thought Id test myself properly because I was having confusing opinions on why I don’t eat meat…..would I eat it if it was organic? Am I in it for the fluffy animals that are so horribly treated? Do I have a taste for it or wha?

you should only eat animals that you're prepared to kill yourself

here's me on my holliers

DSCN0200_006.jpg

If people want to eat cows and sheep and fish and things, fucking deal with it.
If people dont want to eat cows and sheep and fish and things, fucking deal with it.
If people do or dont want to drink alcohol or coffee... fucking deal with it.

It is not other peoples business what you do or dont eat unless you are eating retarded things like Golden Eagle eggs or whatever. I dont get why people spend huge amounts of time trying to defend themselves for being a veggie or not.
So why dont you eat meat???
Its my choice. Grand. End of fucking conversation that shouldn't have even started in the first place.

If people want to eat cows and sheep and fish and things, fucking deal with it.
If people dont want to eat cows and sheep and fish and things, fucking deal with it.
If people do or dont want to drink alcohol or coffee... fucking deal with it.

It is not other peoples business what you do or dont eat unless you are eating retarded things like Golden Eagle eggs or whatever. I dont get why people spend huge amounts of time trying to defend themselves for being a veggie or not.
So why dont you eat meat???
Its my choice. Grand. End of fucking conversation that shouldn't have even started in the first place.

No problem with anemia here anyway. ;)

I was vegetarian for six years and spending Christmas in Spain was what put the nail in the coffin of that one entirely for me. I can't imagine living without meat or fish now and I'm much healthier, my energy levels are much better and I'm not constantly borderline anaemic.
I do understand a lot of the reasons for being vegetarian but I really have the hots for animal protein these days.

so turncoats, ex- veggies, or those of you who fluctuate, why do you bother going veggie in the first place?
Is it to be more punk, indie, health conscious, loose weight, for the poor fluffy animals, to impress a gf or bf, I've seen lots of people take up the anti meat stance with the new squeeze and drop it as soon as that new squeeze is old news.

:confused:

well, i'm not a veggie, but i do understand that i can have a perfectly healthy meal without meat. based on today, i'm 75% vegetarian. i buy linda mc cartney stuff because it keeps well in the freezer, therefore less time in evil zionist tesco's is required.
there was a time not so long ago in ireland (i believe the city folk call it oirland now) that people prayed before every meal because basically they were glad to have enough food in the house to give everyone in the house a half decent meal, 90% of what they were eating had been farmed either in their backyard or by someone they knew, shopping and trading was a community based affair and if you uttered the word vegetarian in the house you'd get an almighty clash in the back of the scone and a full explanation on the price and rearing of a chicken/pig/cow. contrasting that with what level of waste goes on today, i'm not sure if vegetarianism answers my moral food dilemma's => eating meat doesnt make me gag or think hard about the global economy, but watching people turn down food of any kind does.

Anyone actually ever had Foie Gras? I had some on a steak onve but I got so little i could hardly taste it - just like pate IIR

I didn't like it.

I love meat. I have, on occasion, gone for the veggie option on a menu if the meat dishes don't appeal.

A few people in my school went veggie around the time of Meat Is Murder (early 1985).

As Sarah says, there's definitely people who do it because they think it's cool. Which is probably the worst reason of all.

I don't see what's wrong with people having the freedom to eat or not eat whatever they like. If someone choses not to eat meat then it's their choice and deciding that it is a less valuable choice if they're doing it to 'be cool' or to avoid offending someone they love/fancy is petty.

So 'meat is muder' veggies are cool but 'the smell of meat mingled in my sweat offends my lifetime veggie partner' veggies are pathetic? Surely that is a loving sacrifice to make. Lots of people give up things they like, smoking, drinking etc. when they are in a relationship - giving up eating meat is pretty small fry.

I stop eating meat at twenty two cause I thought it'd make me look cool, infortunately it didn't work. I'm still off meat though, mostly because of of the shitty taste of factory stuff and the waste of resources involved.

I'm more and more tempted to eat shellfish these days but it'd have to be stuff I'd picked/harvested myself.

I've seen a fair few people roll off the er, meat wagon recently enough but I s'pose one good way of looking at it is: if someone goes back to eating rasher sangwidges after ten years of vegetarianism, it might be a shame to see them change their minds, but a person can not eat a lot of meat in ten years. .. knowharramean? it doesn't nullify their previous efforts does it?

don't think calling people turncoats and shit helps. it's a bit... confrontational, as wobbler put it. that's probably why a some meat eaters can be defensive around vegetarians. fearful of being judged by their less ethically iron-clad virtues. or something. but it's a personal choice innit. and lapsing happens. I spent a month travelling in nicaragua last year where all you could get half the time was fried plantains and fried chicken. so I ate friend plantains and fried chicken. I had to. bit of an odd example but... I dunno, some people go out, get drunk and eat a kebab once in a blue moon. or a big mac. actually wait. on second thoughts... people who do that are just fucking sick! :D but seriously, lapsing, it's not a capital crime; possibly a dent in one's own sense of morality but for fuck's sake there's meat EVERYWHERE.

so... if someone wants to turn to the dark, honey baked side, just let 'em go. I still know plenty of veggies, (including myself), who aren't going anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back