Miss D (2 Viewers)

Dont get me wrong.... I am totally in favour of pro-choice. I just heard an argument on the radio about this case from a pyschologist saying perhaps if she did see her baby die it could be less traumatic than abortion which for some women can be even more painful. It seemed to make sense to me when I heard it.
You sound as if ur petrified to be labelled pro life.......
I'm pro life and I haven't being bumped off yet.:)
This case was diff ok and even had me not sure what was best so as someone else said earlier it was no harm for the judges to have the extra couple of days.

I'm going to defend Choice Ireland's statement.
In the interests of full disclosure - I am a member of Choice Ireland.
So if a woman is not raped or has a problem pregnancy where do you stand we say on a normal pregnancy?
and I don't want any links but just a reply....

:)

i think it could have been avoided, those extra couple of days are something with which Miss D could have done without. fuckin terrible.
While it sounds callous she's going to have a fair few bad days and while it may be ok this time if there is just straight forward agreement for types of abortion it would become the norm which i-m-o would be wrong.

While it sounds callous she's going to have a fair few bad days and while it may be ok this time if there is just straight forward agreement for types of abortion it would become the norm which i-m-o would be wrong.
i dont think any of it could become the norm. im just annoyed that something so obvious could take more than one day. dunno whether its money-hungry lawyers, stubborn HSE or beaurocratic courts but it should have been dealt with better i-m-o.

It is legal council's responsibility to argue as strongly as possible for their client and from my limited understanding that could be a compelling argument from a purely legal standpoint, if constitutionally the right to life of the unborn is protected then how far does it extend within the current framework? I also believe that in the decision that point wasn't even looked at because the judge said that the main thing to be decided on was the freedom to travel issue and once he'd sided against the HSE then he was able to sidestep Connolly's point so it's still up in the air.

As for the letters to the times. Sometimes it's better to let idiots hang themselves with their own words.

it seems mad to me that a non-viable foetus can have legal representation. and i don't mean to be heartless.

i understand the buzz with giving the best argument from a legal point of view but to me it seems highly relevant to the case what condition the foetus was in, not least because it was the reason that miss d was seeking an abortion in the first instance. the problem with points of law is that they ignore the personal circumstances of the people at the centre of the case.

it is a shame that this issue wasn't addressed though because it should have been legislated around a long time ago. but the courts tend to avoid such issues if they can because a precedent of this type can force positive action on the legislature - ie require the government to draw up legislation dealing with the issues. they don't like doing that because of the separation of powers doctrine.

re: the letters columns - i see your point but i still think printing overly simplistic points of view does nothing for debate.

You sound as if ur petrified to be labelled pro life.......
I'm pro life and I haven't being bumped off yet.:)
This case was diff ok and even had me not sure what was best so as someone else said earlier it was no harm for the judges to have the extra couple of days.

I'm not petrified of that. I'm just conscious that I'm not a woman and couldn't know what it would be like to have to make that decision. Pro-liners on the street dont really give the side a good reputation as they tend to go with the extremist and radical methods rather than sane debate. Also when I realised the extremity of the condition how clear it was to me that it should most definitely be the girl /mothers choice.

What annoyed me is.... if the girl wasnt in foster care the HSE wouldn't have put her through all this ordeal on top of what she is already going through with the pregnancy.

I
They confronted members of the pro-choice campaign by sticking video cameras in their faces, and when the the pro-choice people reacted by pushing the cameras away, the pro-life people accused them of assault. They cheered when cars passed by them on the quays beeping their horns.

Cheers.

who cheered?

Did anyone get those pro-lifer christmas cards through their door? My Ma used to support them, well I think she signed their mailing list once and there were ALWAYS looking for money. Sending out Christmas cards with pictures of foetuses on them saying that next year you could help to save them. It was a bit much

So if a woman is not raped or has a problem pregnancy where do you stand we say on a normal pregnancy?
and I don't want any links but just a reply....

A woman's body is entirely her own and nobody else's. Her rights should take precedence over the rights of the unborn. A woman should have the right to decide whether she wishes to have a child or not and should not be dictated to by constitutional law. If she wishes for an abortion, then she should be entitled to have one in Ireland.

I hope that answers your question.

FWIW, did you look at the link in my original post?

Did anyone get those pro-lifer christmas cards through their door?

They're also running ads in the cinema now where a young family is in a playground and looking forlornly at an empty swing seat, obviously wishing they hadn't had that abortion. Wacky.

The best thing to come out of this fiasco is the slogan: "Get your rosaries off our ovaries"..|..|

A woman's body is entirely her own and nobody else's. Her rights should take precedence over the rights of the unborn. A woman should have the right to decide whether she wishes to have a child or not and should not be dictated to by constitutional law. If she wishes for an abortion, then she should be entitled to have one in Ireland.

I hope that answers your question.

FWIW, did you look at the link in my original post?
Disagree 100% on everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back