Graceland (the song) (1 Viewer)

man I love that song so much. 'because losing love is like a window in your heart, and everybody sees your blown apart'
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah sob sob sob.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH you beat me to it Feekers, but I got the lyrics right.

That album is one of my all-time favourites. It's usually remembered for the african music on it (fantastic guitar playing), but the lyrics are astonishing. Probably one of the few albums that is genuinely mature, rather than euphemistically mature (i.e. insipid). Apparently it's all about his emotional tailspin after the break-up of his marriage to Carrie Fischer, after she had a miscarriage and descended into depression.

The reissue for the 20th anniversary has some deadly demos as extra tracks on it - the version of 'homeless' is a lovely gentle lullaby of a thing.

gracelanddvd.jpg

this is in Tower records too, very good, dude playing the slap bass for Call Me Al is amazing

Paul Simon had two drummers in that Live From Abbey Road* thing he did.

Paul Simon is great. "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" was a song he wrote to teach his son how to write songs.

*was it that?

That bass breakdown in the middle of the song is one of the greatest shams of ALL TIME. 8 bars of magnificence.... me hole, it's 4 cool bars, and then the tape of the 4 cool bars just played backwards.

I think that makes it even better

"duh-da-uh duh-da-uh dud-i-du-duh...hud-ud-i-dud-hu-ad-hud hu-ad-hud"

read that out loud and I bet all your co-workers will go

"oh wow that's the bass solo from You Can Call Me Al, awesome!"

do it!

Paul Simon is great. "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" was a song he wrote to teach his son how to write songs.

with steve gadd on drums. hehe ohmygadd

"she comes back to tell me she's gone, as if i didn't know that, as if i didn't know my own bed"

other great lyric from that album:
"it's a turnaround jumpshot, it's everybody jumpstart, it's every generation throws a hero up the pop charts. when medicine is magical and magical is art, think of the boy in the bubble and the baby with the baboon heart"

Love the album. Its really nostalgic for me aswell. Reminds me of being a youngfella sitting in the back of my parents Volvo playing gameboy in the south of France.

The slide guitar/pedal steel in the title track gets me everytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back