Graceland (the song) (2 Viewers)

ah yeah, and in the same way anything post Countdown To Ecstacy doesn't float my boat

Me too .. first couple of albums are awesome but I just don't like the super-slick fancy-ass carryon of their later stuf

That album is one of my all-time favourites. It's usually remembered for the african music on it (fantastic guitar playing), but the lyrics are astonishing. Probably one of the few albums that is genuinely mature, rather than euphemistically mature (i.e. insipid). Apparently it's all about his emotional tailspin after the break-up of his marriage to Carrie Fischer, after she had a miscarriage and descended into depression.

I fucking love Paul Simon. The greatest hits album Shining Like A National Guitar doesn't actually have a duff second on it, and he didn't even include American Tune or One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's Floor.

Some of his other solo albums are patchy... there's some tracks on Still Crazy... that are awful and he;s trying so hard to sound extra-insightful I read an interview with him about how he writes songs from the early 80s and he sounds like a very methodical, analytical guy... as if his method was the complete opposite of Neil Young's (for anyone who ahas ever read what he says about song writing). Anyone that album he seems a little more loose, like he didn't have to think so much about writing it.

Does anyone know the song Bernadette from that musical he did The Capeman? Its on the aforementioned greatest hits collection - that and Trailways Bus? Those songs are GLORIOUS.

But the best for me is probably Hearts And Bones, the song, which is also about his marriage to Carrie Fischer. "One and one half wandering jews..."

I fucking love Paul Simon. The greatest hits album Shining Like A National Guitar doesn't actually have a duff second on it, and he didn't even include American Tune or One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's Floor.

Some of his other solo albums are patchy... there's some tracks on Still Crazy... that are awful and he;s trying so hard to sound extra-insightful I read an interview with him about how he writes songs from the early 80s and he sounds like a very methodical, analytical guy... as if his method was the complete opposite of Neil Young's (for anyone who ahas ever read what he says about song writing). Anyone that album he seems a little more loose, like he didn't have to think so much about writing it.

Does anyone know the song Bernadette from that musical he did The Capeman? Its on the aforementioned greatest hits collection - that and Trailways Bus? Those songs are GLORIOUS.

But the best for me is probably Hearts And Bones, the song, which is also about his marriage to Carrie Fischer. "One and one half wandering jews..."

The Capeman soundtrack is pretty good too.

I picked up that remastered box set for something like $28 in a second hand shop in Austin a couple of years ago. Has the nine solo albums in it. Some of them are patchy in places but considering the price, best value ever.

Casiotone for the Painfully alone does a great version of Graceland, with extra gravel...

his version at the whelans gig was beautiful :)

managed to get hold of the ltd 7" single of it. B-sides are a bit odd and aren't really up to much but his version of that song is amazing! would never have imagined it being played that way.

the original is a great song too. actually only heard that album a few years ago and despite the odd dated sound on it, it still sounds incredible!

Very upset I missed this thread.
Rhythm of the Saints is less consistent than Graceland but with better peaks.
or not.
Very upset I missed this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back