Comic Books (1 Viewer)

Now comic creation is being outsourced to India!

http://www.virgincomics.com/

Virgin Comics and Virgin Animation is the creative collaboration of writer Deepak Chopra, filmmaker Shekhar Kapur, and maverick Sir Richard Branson.
Based in Bangalore, India, the company currently houses 50 artists and writers in a creative studio and is focused on two areas of development:

1. The creation of original stories and character properties that tap into The vast library of mythology and re-invent the rich indigenous narratives of Asia in a unique, compelling, and entertaining way.
2. Collaborating with creative talent from around the world - from filmmakers, to writers, to musicians, and other artists - to craft original stories and character properties initially in the form of comics and graphic novels subsequently to be developed into films, television, animation, gaming, wireless content, online, merchandise and more.

Envisioned as a creative exchange, Virgin Comics and Virgin Animation is also leading the transition of India as an outsourcer to a source of innovative and dynamic creations and creators. With an eye on the rapidly evolving entertainment market (550 million kids under the age of 20 in the next 10 years in India alone), Virgin Comics will strive to create properties infused with a mythic sensibility that resonate with readers and audiences around the world. Utilizing the powerful and bold Virgin brand, Virgin comics is positioned to carve out a unique space in the powerful character branded entertainment arena and create a new wave of global comic entertainment.

Michael Carroll- sci fi author and all around nice guy, will feature on Sean Moncrieffs program on Newstalk 106 tomoorow to discuss 30 years of 2000ad

currently reading this:
jc_small.jpg

jimmy corrigan: the smartest boy on earth. wierd, poignant, beautifully drawn.
absolutely superb. i haven't read many graphic novels, but this is head and shoulders above any others i've read. and above most other books, too.

absolutely superb. i haven't read many graphic novels, but this is head and shoulders above any others i've read. and above most other books, too.

i've had that on my shelf for ages and still haven't manages to get through it. much like this book:
LittleBig%281stEd%29.jpg

I have endeavoured to read this at least three times over the years without finishing it. i fear jimmy corrigan will go the same way...

I've been getting into Love and Rockets lately. Been meaning to for ages, but the huge hardcover editions and the many, many thin editions aren't really practical. The new softcover, roughly 300-page each editions are great, though. I've finished the first collection of Palomar stories and I really, really like 'em. The characters, artwork, dialogue, all great. Jaime's stories I found quite difficult to get into initally, but I'm enjoying them a lot now, about halfway through the first Locas collection.

Been reading some 'Jim' by Jim Woodring. Pretty strange stuff, but it's nice. I prefer the silent stories to the other stuff, for sure.

Also been reading and enjoying recently...La Perdida, random issues of Zero Zero, re-read all of Black Hole, trying to read everything Peter Bagge has ever written, bits and pieces of the last three issues of RAW.

A mate of mine has a ton of comics to swop (for anything really)

Mostly 80/90's Marvel - Xmen and Spiderman. About 600 total.

I've been getting into Love and Rockets lately. Been meaning to for ages, but the huge hardcover editions and the many, many thin editions aren't really practical. The new softcover, roughly 300-page each editions are great, though. I've finished the first collection of Palomar stories and I really, really like 'em. The characters, artwork, dialogue, all great. Jaime's stories I found quite difficult to get into initally, but I'm enjoying them a lot now, about halfway through the first Locas collection.

Been reading some 'Jim' by Jim Woodring. Pretty strange stuff, but it's nice. I prefer the silent stories to the other stuff, for sure.

Also been reading and enjoying recently...La Perdida, random issues of Zero Zero, re-read all of Black Hole, trying to read everything Peter Bagge has ever written, bits and pieces of the last three issues of RAW.

ya i recently started reading love and rockets too. at first i kept putting it down thinking "what is this shit??" but I actually really enjoyed it. The art in it is so cute and their facial expressions are hilarious at times. Im def getting more of them...

I really wanna get my hands on RAW, but its pretty rare. where did you get it? i seen the first 3 issues book on amazon, but it seemed pretty expensive. They should release a collection.

im totally in looooooove with dan clowes. him and charles burns make graphic novels like david lynch makes movies. id love to be dedicated and motivated to making a graphic novel...

Hey. Yeah, I've since read the next two new L&R collections, great stuff. I'm actually more fond of Jaime's stuff now, even though I was mad into Gilbert at first. Yeah, one of the things I love about it is the facial expressions, particularly Maggie's. Also, the phrase 'Ootah' is great, whatever it means. RAW came out in two formats. The first 8 issues were kinda oversized magazine type things with around 50-100 pages (I think). They sell for shitloads, I've never got my hands on any. The last 3 issues were published as paperback books by Penguin, with about 250 pages each. They're pretty easy to find, I got one for about 8 quid on ebay, and the other two for maybe 15/20. There's some pretty bad 'artsy' stuff in there, but the other stuff more than makes up for it. Charles Burns, Crumb, Lynda Barry, Justin Green. There's a lot of really cool European authors in them aswell, whose names I can't remember. There is actually a collection of material from (I think) the first 3 issues of RAW, called 'Read Yourself Raw' which is easy enough to get on ebay, although I haven't got it yet myself. I haven't read Clowes extensively, no idea why, since I really liked the stuff I did read. Have you ever read anything by Peter Bagge? Judging by the other stuff you like, you'd probably love 'Hate'. (Haw haw)

Phew.

I'm currently addicted to the 'Berserk' manga, they're finally stocking it in Forbidden Planet, so I can get it with some regularity. Also reading 'Hunter X Hunter' by Yoshihiro Togashi. Good shit. Was re-reading the Tintins recently, for roughly the 16th time. Sheer genius.

Go on the Tintin!

anyway, is this yoke as unbelievably bad as it looks?

Kurt-Cobain-Angel-web.jpg

Worse, probably. I had a look through it once in the shoppe, struck me as pretty bad. It's called "Godspeed: The Kurt Cobain Graphic".... Good name, lads. Graphic what? The artwork is by that most revered of artists, 'Flameboy'. Must pick it up soon.

Edit: Haha, I just checked Flameboy's site and he's also done comics about Tupac and Eminem.

http://www.flameboycomics.co.uk/html/Eminem.html

Check out the image to the top right. Hah.

On the subject of Tintin, they've announced a video game which will feature levels based on each of the books. Sounds like a boner. The last one I played was a gameboy colour game based on Prisoners of the Sun, it was actually pretty fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back