Comic Books (1 Viewer)

i just started visiting the Marvel site recently, and have been checking out the digital comics...used to collect a fair bit in my early teens, x-men, avengers, etc etc...i'm sure this is old news to most comic lovers but holy shit, some crazy plot turns have taken place over the years from what i gather..hulk getting banished to another planet, some civil war between iron man and captain america, multiverses galore...i'm on the verge of starting collecting again, which is good and bad news...good news because i now have the dough to afford this stuff (ie. not using paper route money anymore)...bad news is i now have the dough to afford this stuff...

They were great!

" No cunts on me drugstable"

big-bang-example.gif

I read Jeffery Brown's 'Unlikely' over the last few days. I really enjoyed the bits and pieces of his work I'd seen in anthologies so I got two of his books, 'Clumsy' and 'Unlikely'. Unfortunately, I'm kinda dissapointed with it. It's less funny than I remember, more just plain depressing. The whiney bastard aspect of the main character just becomes irritating after a while. Ah well, maybe I'll enjoy the other one more.

I've also been reading the first volume of 'American Elf' by James Kochalka, which is a diary in comic book form. He does a little four panel strip every day, usually about some insignificant event or another. Oh yeah, he draws himself and his wife as elves, and his friends as dogs and so on. Some people may find it too cutesy, but I like it.

In a similar vein to the other two, but much older is 'King Cat Classix' by John Porcellino, which reprints extracts from the first 50 issues of his self published minicomic 'King Cat Comics and Stories'. It's great. The art is really basic, but it works well. The stories are usually autobiographical, dealing with ordinary events in the author's life, dreams, and occasional random nonsense.

Also: random issues of 'Dork' and 'Meatcake'. Good.

Comics Britannia was on Beeb 4 last night. I thought it was gonna be about 2000AD but twas about the DC Thomson comix, Beano and Dandy. It was really well worth a look. I'm sure it's repeated ad nauseum.

It started last week, focusing on the Beano and Dandy etc

It was repeated last Sunday night , followed by a great documentary on Steve Ditko.

I'd guess last nights one will be repeated too. Last nights was about the adventure comics, from Eagle to Warlord, Battle etc and the girls equivalent, from Girl up to Jackie and Oh-Boy etc.

Nice to see 2000ads "art-droids" in the flesh

Ah cool I didn't realise it was a series. Deadly! I'll keep an eye out for the next episode. I love Dan Dare, we have some anthologies. I always meant to get more of them but back when I was really into them they were very expensive in the old Forbidden Planet.

Bump: Another installment of BBC4s comics documentaries tonight

By the way if you're in Easons or any of the comic shops have a look at the latest Judge Dredd Megazine- I have strip in it, just received a big package of graphic novels as payment this morning!

fair play johnnystress!

anyone ever read optic nerve? I got the "32 stories" collection and was a little disappointed. Its interesting though because it shows his transition from his crappy amateur zine-comic to being a really good artist and story teller. But its mostly meh.

fair play johnnystress!

anyone ever read optic nerve? I got the "32 stories" collection and was a little disappointed. Its interesting though because it shows his transition from his crappy amateur zine-comic to being a really good artist and story teller. But its mostly meh.

I like the haircut story.

I find most of optic nerve fairly meh anyways, lots of lost souls in big cities feeling depressed and the like

:)
Just reading some anthologies of Strontium Dog(s), illustrated by Carlos Esquerra. Fantastic stuff. I also read a kinda dodgy comic called "Fiends of The Eastern Front" also illustrated by Esquerra. It was a horror story set in World War Two that was in 2000AD around 1980.

I love that story!! there was a sequel earlier this year and a novel too

A troop of Romanian vampires fighting alongside the Werhmarcht...classic

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back