Concepts (2 Viewers)

I remember reading before that the main regrets people have on their death beds were not spending enough time with their friends and family, spending too much time working and spending too much trying to please other people rather than being true to what they wanted or how they wanted to live. In a weird way, I don’t think the concept is as much about impressing your death bed self as it is about living your life on your own terms wherever possible and enjoying your life in the present. I think it kind of ties in with the Deferred Happiness theory in that way. That’s my take on it anyways
Ah well indeed. If those are the regrets you're trying to minimise then work away. If you're "following your dreams" though then I say "NO!":

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ah well indeed. If those are the regrets you're trying to minimise then work away. If you're "following your dreams" though then I say "NO!":

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ah no, it’s more about not listening to those ‘follow your dreams!’ people and more about enjoying your time here with the people you love. The main deathbed regret actually seems to be ‘chasing the dream’, whether it’s your own or someone else’s

Granfalloon: We categorize people into meaningless groups: the physics "community," the black "community." The people in these "communities" often have little in common, but we treat them like they think with one mind, and shockingly, some even claim to speak for them.

I think think is a Vonnegut thing. It sounds like something in Cats Cradle.

This one gets its own post

Deferred Happiness Syndrome
The common feeling that your life has not begun, that your present reality is a mere prelude to some idyllic future.
This idyll is a mirage that'll fade as you approach, revealing that the prelude you rushed through was in fact the one to your death

I've a real problem with that at the moment. Spent my entire last session with my therapist talking about how I am taking almost no joy from life at the moment because after dropping much of the baggage that was weighing me down thanks to the process of therapy I've so much more mental energy and ambition now, but it's all focussed on the big changes I want to make in my life now that I have all this free mental space and want "to make up for lost time." Basically I need to do more rose smelling.

I've a real problem with that at the moment. Spent my entire last session with my therapist talking about how I am taking almost no joy from life at the moment because after dropping much of the baggage that was weighing me down thanks to the process of therapy I've so much more mental energy and ambition now, but it's all focussed on the big changes I want to make in my life now that I have all this free mental space and want "to make up for lost time." Basically I need to do more rose smelling.
Well you know what the problem is and what you should do about it, so you’re off to a good start

Most of my therapy sessions are me talking at her for an hour with a bit of gentle prodding questions in response that push me in the right direction.
That was how it went the last time I went to a counsellor a few years back. Have to say it worked really well and did a lot of good for me

I assume Maslow's hammer is the hammer from 'to a man with a hammer'?

Triggers Sugababes deal again isn't it?

Naval's Razor: If you can't decide between 2 choices, take the path that's more difficult/painful in the short term. Doing this will counteract "hyperbolic discounting," the brain's tendency to overestimate short term pain and underestimate long term pain.
FFS
Naval's Razor: If you can't decide between 2 options, choose the path that's more difficult/painful in the short term. Doing this will counteract "hyperbolic discounting," the brain's tendency to overestimate short term pain and underestimate long term pain.
FIXED

How do you feel about multiple choice questions?

Most of them are mulitple option questions in which you make one choice.

The ones where you select more than one option with one question are actual mulptiple choice questions.

It's not a really a 'feel', more a once you see it, you can't unsee it meaning of a word scenario.

Most of them are mulitple option questions in which you make one choice.

The ones where you select more than one option with one question are actual mulptiple choice questions.

It's not a really a 'feel', more a once you see it, you can't unsee it meaning of a word scenario.
I’ve just come to accept that choice can be used to mean option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back