Band stuff in movies (1 Viewer)

Cro mags in the movie the Beat

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's one for you in terms of score Vs diagetic sound:

I just watched this Peter Coyote film from 1984 - shown a few times on RTE in the late 90s/early 2000s, exactly the sort of randy film my dad would tape, him being a big Peter Coyote fan, who wouldn't be, eh listen to the voice and look at the face - Heartbreakers, it was called.

The whole score was by Tangerine Dream. But there was a scene where Coyote was racing towards a gallery and the score is going full on..he enters the gallery and some sex lord of a woman is dancing with her colleagues...full on. Yoga, Pilates, it's the 80s... the works. Bipping and bopping. Yer wan presses pause on the tape or CD player when Coyote rudely interrupts to negotiate out of economic necessity...but there was no difference between the actual soundtrack which had been playing since Coyote set pedal to the metal, and three dreamy chaps bopping to Tangerine Dream in the diagetic sense of sound in the scene.

Uh, there was another scene, a threesome scene where some wan seemed to press play on a radio alarm clock, and bam! full score. Woh, we're back in the score, but a character in the film just physically pressed a button on a device.

In my view, fine. It's the 80s. But doesn't really count as diagetic sound within the film.

Any other cases of what we shall call dubious diagetics?

Last edited:
Shit. Diegetic Sound would be a great name for a music website. Too bad it’s 23 years too late.

Germs in Driller Killer
Didn't director Abel Ferrara actually write the songs the punk band in Driller Killer played??
here's a piece on TONY COCA COLA AND THE ROOSTERS w/ youtube link.
For the record Bristol greats DISORDER had a song called Driller Killer and there was a Swedish hardcore band called DRILLER KILLER in the 90's/2000's (ex Anti Cimex) probably named as much after the song as the film.

never heard of Peter Coyote - his wiki was an interesting read.
I'm listening to the TD soundtrack for Heartbreakers now. I love their 70's stuff but this is too new agey/80's digital technology, for my tastes.

Didn't director Abel Ferrara actually write the songs the punk band in Driller Killer played??
here's a piece on TONY COCA COLA AND THE ROOSTERS

never heard of Peter Coyote - his wiki was an interesting read.
I'm listening to the TD soundtrack for Heartbreakers now. I love their 70's stuff but this is too new agey/80's digital technology, for my tastes.
I think Ferrara did write the music...the dude is just an absolute mensch...I must check the libraries for The Funeral.

My buddy went to a workshop with Ferrara a few years back. All candid no holds barred straight up realness. Ya dig? Apparently he got hooked on heroin or crack when filming Invasion of the Body Snatchers ..bored out of his skull making a studio film he didn't care for, in Nevada or some such desert land, but one he just received a massive paycheck for. He just walked into some desert backwater bar, and someone said, you wanna shoot? Sure, why not, he replied.

They did the score for Risky Business the same year...I liked the forlorn parts of Heartbreakers' score.

Coyote also had a Laurie Anderson poster on the wall of his studio.

Coyote...he's weasely but not to the weasely degree of John Lurie. Joe Pantoliano from RB... another memorable weasel. The 80s saw the emergence of the onscreen weasel for sure.

Coyote...marginal figure, unconventional hunk, but has natural presence...sort of just projects himself into any role. Short on range, long on natural presence. Would make an intriguing star profile.

I'd have to give the prize to Meadow for the Gaunt and GvsB posters
View attachment 15760
She also has the same Ulver poster. I’d love that poster, what an album.

In terms of bands playing in movies, Nick Cave and Crime and the City Solution in Wings of Desire is another good one. Completely different recording of “From Her to Eternity” compared to the album too.

“I’m not gonna tell you about a girl. I’m not gonna tell you about a girl…

I’M GONNA TELL YOU ABOUT A GIRL.”

I think Ferrara did write the music...the dude is just an absolute mensch...I must check the libraries for The Funeral.

My buddy went to a workshop with Ferrara a few years back. All candid no holds barred straight up realness. Ya dig? Apparently he got hooked on heroin or crack when filming Invasion of the Body Snatchers ..bored out of his skull making a studio film he didn't care for, in Nevada or some such desert land, but one he just received a massive paycheck for. He just walked into some desert backwater bar, and someone said, you wanna shoot? Sure, why not, he replied.

They did the score for Risky Business the same year...I liked the forlorn parts of Heartbreakers' score.

Coyote also had a Laurie Anderson poster on the wall of his studio.

Coyote...he's weasely but not to the weasely degree of John Lurie. Joe Pantoliano from RB... another memorable weasel. The 80s saw the emergence of the onscreen weasel for sure.

Coyote...marginal figure, unconventional hunk, but has natural presence...sort of just projects himself into any role. Short on range, long on natural presence. Would make an intriguing star profile.
I haven't seen any Abel Ferrara movie after The Funeral but the five I remember watching esp. Ms. 45 and King Of New York are amazing - those are two of my favourite films.
Driller Killer is the only one I have on (a very cheap shoddy) DVD. But you reminded me... I heard the commentary tracks on Ferrara's movies are a bit nuts and that he doesn't hold anything back...

I just found this comp. of the best of his commentary track for King Of New York.
Warning: contains spoliers w/ Lots of Christopher Walken, attractive women, semi nudity, lots of guns, deaths and Abel Ferrara being Abel Ferrara loving it. NOT SUITABLE FOR VIEWING AT WORK.

Alice Cooper in Diary of A Mad Housewife (1970)

YARDBIRDS in Blow Up (1966)

apparently the woman in stripey pants dancing @1:10 is Janet Street-Porter and @ 0:37 it's Michael Palin.

Alice Cooper in Diary of A Mad Housewife (1970)

That movie was also the inspiration for Neil Young’s Harvest album, particularly “A Man Needs a Maid”:
“I fell in love with the actress
She was playing a part I could understand.”

He saw the movie, fell in love with the lead Carrie Snodgrass and ended up marrying her. It kind of killed her career, she was tipped for an Oscar for that role and she didn’t do anything major again (though she was in one of the X-Files I watched recently).

This one was interesting... Leos Carax's first film Boy Meets Girl from 1984.

The only thing I could remember about it [watched over 15 years ago, bought the vhs cheap in Chapters... still have it. Must rewatch it...] was the presence of Lavant, some hot French one that brings to mind the creamy loveliness of a young Madeline Stowe, and the use of Dead Kennedys' Holiday in Cambodia. The film uses two other tracks strikingly, and I'm pretty sure diagetically too - to the point where the songs are almost characters in the story.

The diagetic use here is cool.. you can see the female lead stick it on, then hear it through an intercom speaker as characters spout their ennui and alienation.

The diagetic use here is cool.. you can see the female lead stick it on, then hear it through an intercom speaker as characters spout their ennui and alienation.

There’s a kind of reverse trick in the previously mentioned Wire song in C’mon C’mon where the songs starts as full volume soundtrack when they’re outside and then it jumps to them in an apartment and it switches to background as it’s on the stereo. I liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back