Band stuff in movies (1 Viewer)

Jerry Twig

Supporter
Solutions
I just watched C’mon C’mon, which was passable enough, but the highlight was definitely spotting the sister’s Minutemen t-shirt. Honorable mention to the brother listening to Pink Flag on the stereo!

Band stuff can be handy shorthand for characterisation, I think?

Like they use Clash stuff in Brad Pitt's office in Moneyball, to show what a rebel against the system he is

1654043526930.png

1654043547671.png

Let me think... but for now... I give you one of my all-time favourites The Feelies in Jonathan Demme's Something Wild:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I remember in High Fidelity, there's a Tortoise poster on the wall when he's sorting his records at home. How he afforded such an apartment working in a record store, I don't know. Wretched character, wretched movie, no?

Let me think... but for now... I give you one of my all-time favourites The Feelies in Jonathan Demme's Something Wild:

I remember in High Fidelity, there's a Tortoise poster on the wall when he's sorting his records at home. How he afforded such an apartment working in a record store, I don't know. Wretched character, wretched movie, no?

I never saw Something Wild until the 2000's and didn't realise it was The Feelies until they played Loveless Love.

RODGIDO D. NO FUTURA (1989/90) full movie (no subtitles)

trailer w/ subtitles:

Victor Gaviria's movie, set in the barrios of Medellin, is full of music and appearances by local punk and metal groups. the actors were all untrained local kids and some of them died before the film was released.
Medellin had one of the best music scenes in the world at the time. The likes of Dead and Euronymus used to write to Medellin 'ultra metal' bands and took a lot of their ideas. Medellin bands had a huge influence on underground metal - this is widely known in Colombia and Latin America but less so elsewhere.

the movie was a selection at the 1990 Cannes Film Festival.
the soundtrack was reissued in 2015 by Madrid label Beat Generation (sub label of Munster Records).

not in movies, but in 'homicide' (TV show based on the david simon book) they'd often name minor characters after grunge musicians. i remember layne stayley and krist novoselic being used.

I watched this crappy film called Mean Creek recently which was like Larry Clark's Bully with all the humour and daring sucked out of it [yaknow, the things that might make a Larry Clark film good], and there was a good bit of kids listening to hip indie music driving around in cars....Wilco and Spoon.

Seemed like the film was made just to pedal the soundtrack.

There must be a rake of 90s indie flicks where music is playing in cars, shops, etc.

Speaking of music used diagetically, and Larry Clark... isn't Slint's Good Morning Captain playing in a room in Kids, or is it used in a conventional soundtrack way?

Didn't The Wire feature loads of music by Dead Meadow because David Simon's nephew is in the band?
ha, the same thought occurred to me when I saw this thread.

there was definitely one scene when McNulty walked in on his kids and he asked them who the band they were listening to, was, and they replied Dead Meadow.

ha, the same thought occurred to me when I saw this thread.

there was definitely one scene when McNulty walked in on his kids and he asked them who the band they were listening to, was, and they replied Dead Meadow.
I remember that, and thought it was odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back