Post Punk thread (1 Viewer)

THE BIRTHDAY PARTY - Junkyard (live on Dutch TV 1982)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

from a short lived TV show was called Gotterdammerung 2000. I've also seen footage of THE ASSOCIATES and THE COMSAT ANGELS playing on the programme.

I got a 3 LP boxed set of GRAUZONE last week. includes a booklet detailing the bands history (in English) and an LP of their only recorded gig from Bern in 1980 plus a double LP of their album and other original recordings. apparently their hit single Eisbaer sold about a million copies and they never appeared on TV.
GRAUZONE - Film 2 (1980)

GRAUZONE - In Der Nacht (1981)

GRAUZONE - Wutendes Glas (1981)

all their songs sound different - nothing formula about them.

THE REJECTS (from Texas) were new to me. their sole EP has never even been sold on discogs.

CABARET VOLTAIRE - Seconds Too Late (1980)

the first Cabs record I bought in 1997 (on 7" for £4) still my favourite A-side of theirs.
great introduction to one the most amazing bands.

CABARET VOLTAIRE - Johnny Yesno LP (recorded1981. short film soundtrack)

one the last things they recorded with Chris Watson. difficult to describe other than saying it is on a par with ANY film soundtrack ever recorded IMO.
there was a boxset of Johnny Yesno in 2011 which contained the original film, a modern remake / redux of the film and CD's of the original soundtrack and the redone soundtrack for the new version of the film.
Peter Care directed the films.

CABARET VOLTAIRE - Seconds Too Late (1980)

the first Cabs record I bought in 1997 (on 7" for £4) still my favourite A-side of theirs.
great introduction to one the most amazing bands.

CABARET VOLTAIRE - Johnny Yesno LP (recorded1981. short film soundtrack)

one the last things they recorded with Chris Watson. difficult to describe other than saying it is on a par with ANY film soundtrack ever recorded IMO.
there was a boxset of Johnny Yesno in 2011 which contained the original film, a modern remake / redux of the film and CD's of the original soundtrack and the redone soundtrack for the new version of the film.
Peter Care directed the films.

I need to get more into Cabaret Voltaire. I know bits but I never explored them like I did TG, Neubauten, or The Hafler Trio. Or even Watson’s solo stuff on Touch.

Predictably, I only really like them when they sound like Soft Cell.
Cabaret Voltaire?
Any songs in particular?
Their early stuff can be very varied. Some tunes are almost musique concrete others almost in the post punk pop sphere.

Soft Cell were great. Almond and Ball are one the gold standards for weirdos storming the charts.

Predictably, I only really like them when they sound like Soft Cell.
Did they ever? Anything I’ve heard (which I thought was from across their career) was still firmly in the industrial/experimental sphere. Soft Cell overlapped with this in a weird way (more in who they were friends with than in sound) but I would never have put them side by side musically (and even when Marc and the Mambas covered Throbbing Gristle it was in a completely different style).

Did they ever? Anything I’ve heard (which I thought was from across their career) was still firmly in the industrial/experimental sphere. Soft Cell overlapped with this in a weird way (more in who they were friends with than in sound) but I would never have put them side by side musically (and even when Marc and the Mambas covered Throbbing Gristle it was in a completely different style).
you probably know about this - the four of them were photographed together on the cover of the one of the UK music papers

various early CABS tracks at the more tuneful end of the bands early work.

CABARET VOLTAIRE - Theme From Shaft (early 80's recording on Crepuscule)

everyone probably knows -
Nag Nag Nag (1979)

No Escape (1979) Seeds cover off their first LP

there is a great video for No Escape which hasn't been on youtube for years. it shows them playing beside a lake on a freezing day and is the best example of Mallinder and Kirk's demented stares.
Jazz The Glass (1981) very catchy upbeat guitar led A-side w/ organ. great track. fairly atypical of them.

Black Mask (1981) funky bass led track off Red Mecca LP

Over and Over (live on Spanish TV 1983)

Over and Over turned up on their first major label record The Crackdown (1983) on Some Bizzare.
which is still great but has high tech production w/ Flood which was a big departure for them at the time.
Dave Ball has a credits for keyboards and drum programming on two tracks.

you probably know about this - the four of them were photographed together on the cover of the one of the UK music papers
When I was in the UK helping a friend digitise Coil’s audio archive for a reissue project I found a copy of a bootleg of this that Marc Almond had given to John Balance and Sleazy. I have a photo of it somewhere…

When I was in the UK helping a friend digitise Coil’s audio archive for a reissue project I found a copy of a bootleg of thisyo that Marc Almond had given to John Balance and Sleazy. I have a photo of it somewhere…
you mentioned HAFLER TRIO and some of Chris Watson's other projects. I saw him on TV once where he had created an environmental recording of sounds such as birds and other outside sounds for kids suffering long term illness who couldn't leave hospital.
another one that got a lot of attention was a bird migration recording - an area he's long specialized in.
interesting how people who love nature docs can enjoy listening to experimental music perhaps without even realising.

I've heard a few HAFLER TRIO recordings (not sure if Chris was on all of them) and nothing really clicked with me.
I really need to give him more attention. He's on all CV's best records.

I am going to repost the clip of Over and Over on Spanish TV as nearly half the song is cut off the above clip

sorry to labour the point but it's a great version

When I was in the UK helping a friend digitise Coil’s audio archive for a reissue project I found a copy of a bootleg of this that Marc Almond had given to John Balance and Sleazy. I have a photo of it somewhere…
I got this CD recently: ALIEN BRAINS - Menial Disorders 40th Anniversary Edition

like John Balance they were students at Oundle School and one of them was actually the guy who booked THROBBING GRISTLE to play there.
there's a very interesting interview in the CD notes - he didn't trick the school saying they had a very open attitude to booking school concerts and just let him get on with it.
he said the concert was well received by a lot of lads there and was a big formative experience for a lot of them.

Yeah - I have seen that.
The lads who enjoyed it probably didn't join in singing Rule Britannia or whatever it was the kids were singing!
The gig at Oundle was mentioned on here before.
Actually a quick search shows there's been two thumped TG threads:
"Thobbing Gristle video" (2004) related to gig at holiday camp when they reformed.
"Throbbing Gristle appreciation thread" (2007) featuring lots of Brian Coniffe contributions.

Great to hear the story behind that. That ALIEN BRAINS CD was heavily TG or early SPK influenced lo-fi stuff which was cool but it was worth it for the liner notes alone.

Yeah - I have seen that.
The lads who enjoyed it probably didn't join in singing Rule Britannia or whatever it was the kids were singing!
The gig at Oundle was mentioned on here before.
Actually a quick search shows there's been two thumped TG threads:
"Thobbing Gristle video" (2004) related to gig at holiday camp when they reformed.
"Throbbing Gristle appreciation thread" (2007) featuring lots of Brian Coniffe contributions.

Great to hear the story behind that. That ALIEN BRAINS CD was heavily TG or early SPK influenced lo-fi stuff which was cool but it was worth it for the liner notes alone.
Must check them out. They’re a name I know but I’ve never knowingly heard them.

Cabaret Voltaire?
Any songs in particular?
Their early stuff can be very varied. Some tunes are almost musique concrete others almost in the post punk pop sphere.

Soft Cell were great. Almond and Ball are one the gold standards for weirdos storming the charts.

Probably because they both end in "ia" but Sensoria and Memorabilia could be the same band

I've leant an ear to the early Cabaret Voltaire stuff and I respect the experiment but they've never held much interest to me; maybe if I was around at the time it'd have been mindblowing IDK. It's often the kind of thing where I'll love an album with two tracks that sound like that but 11 of them in a row and I just switch off. Can't deny their influence though.

Last edited:
Memorabilia is a very unusual track for 1981. It has been called the first UK house tune even.
Marc Almond was reviewing the singles for Melody Maker when Blue Monday was released and he panned it saying it was a dated electro-disco track, with clichéd effects. Apart from maybe hearing tracks like it in NYC clubs for some time he'd already been there and done it himself w/ Memorabilia.

I think I get what yer saying about Cabaret Voltaire. The Cabs were never tunesmiths like Soft Cell.

Probably because they both end in "ia" but Sensoria and Memorabilia could be the same band

I've leant an ear to the early Cabaret Voltaire stuff and I respect the experiment but they've never held much interest to me; maybe if I was around at the time it'd have been mindblowing IDK. It's often the kind of thing where I'll love an album with two tracks that sound like that but 11 of them in a row and I just switch off. Can't deny their influence though.

I would have said Memorabilia was SC sounding like CV rather than the other way around. But both were drinking from the same water. Did you ever see the video of Marc Almond doing vocals for Coil while they covered themselves in barbed wire and pissed on each other? Nick Cave walks out halfway through and honestly I don’t blame him. Very much of its time (Coil got much, much better.)

Video doesn’t seem to be online anymore. Oh well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back