What movie did you watch last night? (27 Viewers)

I had completely missed this controversy until you posted about it twice.

goddam.

I went to a very MOR bar last night and the bar band spent the whole night making jokes about things being PC and not PC, crowning it with fairytale of new york with extra attention given to the 'faggot' bit. I was pretty surreal tbh. When it came up in the song a fair few people really vehemently screamed the 'faggot' bit. It was a bit chilling for a moment.

I went to a very MOR bar last night and the bar band spent the whole night making jokes about things being PC and not PC, crowning it with fairytale of new york with extra attention given to the 'faggot' bit. I was pretty surreal tbh. When it came up in the song a fair few people really vehemently screamed the 'faggot' bit. It was a bit chilling for a moment.
Jesus. That one is much more straightforward though - censor it don't ban it who gives a fuck, why is this your hill to die on? Who even listens to the radio?

First they came for the Fairytale of New York and I did not speak up because I did not give a fuck.

If i was to take the question seriously (le sigh) I would argue that if you're putting on a good show about music and actually cared about what you were playing then play it uncensored and talk about context, why it's a good story with imperfect characters etc. etc.

If you're playing it as Sonic Christmas Wallpaper then just censor it because your whole shtick is being as inoffensive as possible while people go about their daily lives/shopping.

You should have kicked the shit out of every one of those pricks and trashed all their gear. Then told them you were just expressing your opinion.

You should have kicked the shit out of every one of those pricks and trashed all their gear. Then told them you were just expressing your opinion.

You know what was really fascinating, they played a queen song in the middle of it all. The more i think about it the more I'm annoyed, probably because i think like 'those are musicians, they should get this'.

Jesus. That one is much more straightforward though - censor it don't ban it who gives a fuck, why is this your hill to die on? Who even listens to the radio?

I'm going to be very disappointed if we don't get to see a rise of the PMRC

Will we ever get to see the like again?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fiona Looney was on the radio last week saying that this stuff is the start of a slippery slope that will end with us having to "rewrite Shakespeare". And she was only half-joking about this. The over-reaction to this is laughable. If some radio station decides not to playlist some song it's really not a big deal. If we don't hear Baby It's Cold Outside quite so often this Xmas it's not some appalling infringement on all our human rights. If Shane McGowan's royalty cheque is not quite so gigantic next year because a few covers bands decide not to put Fairytale in their set then we'll all still survive just fine. It's really not the end of Western civilization as we know it.

You know what was really fascinating, they played a queen song in the middle of it all. The more i think about it the more I'm annoyed, probably because i think like 'those are musicians, they should get this'.

yea, it's not like I give a flying fuck about this lyric non-story. I just detest every single person who repeats it. Those guys sound like arseholes. Musicians can be dickheads too. More often than not sadly.

I heard that Fiona Looney thing. I hate that it was even being discussed. Darcy even mentioned it again on his TV show (don't ask how I know this)! What was it, someone wrote a blog post somewhere? And suddenly lazy people use it as content to fill their air space. I'm sick of it.

It took literally half a minute before one of them said "PC gone mad". Surprised at D'Arcy... he's usually a bit less thick than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back