Miscellaneous book trivia and stuff (1 Viewer)

Wahey

Philip Pullman unveils epic fantasy trilogy The Book of Dust

head on him these days

3699.jpg

How about they disband the society and put the money into libraries so people can still fuppin read the Bronte's in the first place?

Did I ever post this? Part of a great letter to the London Review of Books in 2012:

why (do) the first sentences of so many stories in the Best American series follow the same formula. Start with the words ‘when’ or ‘after’; mention the first name of a character; dangle a pronoun with no antecedent; drop one heavy symbol or allusion; and use vaguely abstract phrasing to lay out a fairly banal situation. Here’s the first sentence of Maile Meloy’s story ‘Demeter’, about splitting child custody, in the 19 November issue of the New Yorker: ‘When they divided up the year, Demeter chose, for her own, the months when the days start getting longer.’ It’s odd that so many students told ‘find your voice’ so often find the same one.

ruins so many short stories.

You because I started seeing that style of writing everywhere just after you posted it the last time. It made me more conscious about my own writing (a good thing).
ah grand. Yeah it's a real "can't be unseen" way of looking at short stories. Still accurate though!

Seven Books I’ll Never Read

there is of course controversy

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm thinking of maybe finally reading Infinite Jest for the first time this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back