Social Democrats (2 Viewers)

Even they probably think they owe Greece a dig out from the humanitarian crisis after they crushed them under their boot in recent months.

Relatedly, I note that first Al Jazeera and now other organisations have announced that they'll stop referring to the people as migrants because it's pejorative, and start calling them refugees. I'd noticed the common use of the word migrants WRT this crisis and had assumed it was because people had decided that "refugee" was pejorative.

Am I missing something?

They're coming to Europe cos they have no place else to go, or because they fancy it?

Bit of both I suppose, probably more of the former but Europe probably more attractive than other places once they've decided that leaving home is the right/only move for them.

What I'm trying to get at is that to me migrant makes them sound like they've taken more of an active role in the decision to leave, refugees infer a more passive state of being forced out, which I suppose is also what's happened to them. But I think it sounds better to describe them in the more proactive term.

Meaningless semantics probably

we should just call them 'a great bunch of lads'

ugly scenes today as a great bunch of lads attempted to cross an increasingly militarised border

Back on topic: The SDs announced five new candidates today with the promise of more to follow, they certainly don't seem to have any problem attracting 'talent'. A good showing at the GE combined with the seemingly inevitable demise of Labour could well see them replace Labour as the party of choice for those of a left leaning persuasion. No bad thing given Labours history in government.

Social Democrats Senator arrested in Dublin for allegedly breaching crime scene - Independent.ie

Strange (presumably drunken) behaviour.
On the SDs themselves, could they be considered to have had a good election? They returned their standing TDs but failed to add any new faces, not a great result given the total collapse of Labour.

I voted for them, but it was more a personal vote for my sitting TD rather than for the party.

The general line of thought seems to be that one of their candidates in Dublin who came very close to getting in is very good locally

Social Democrats Senator arrested in Dublin for allegedly breaching crime scene - Independent.ie

Strange (presumably drunken) behaviour.
On the SDs themselves, could they be considered to have had a good election? They returned their standing TDs but failed to add any new faces, not a great result given the total collapse of Labour.
How do they have a Senator already? I should know this.

And it has to be pretty serious feckacting in Temple Bar to get yourself arrested.

I voted for them, but it was more a personal vote for my sitting TD rather than for the party.

Me too. Catherine Murphy is my local TD and has aroused strange feelings in me of "not shame" towards local politics, and given me someone I'm pleased to vote for. This is a new phenomenon for me.

I was joking about the halo thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back