David Bowie returns (1 Viewer)

The new album is really excellent, I must have listened 7 or 8 times over the weekend and again just there now on the bus. Girl Loves Me is deadly, so terse. I can't help wondering if he never got a chance to finish the lyrics and had to do a Susudio on it. Dollar Days is beautiful, the sax solo is great and I Can't Give Everything Away is a real uplifting way to finish it off.
Same here; Dollar Days is great, as is Lazarus (love that sax line) and I can't give everything away is just fab. The album is a lot better than I was prepared for it to be - a very fitting finale to an amazing career full of amazing music.

Taken from an Eno interview from '77, via FB -

Just a reminder that Brian Eno does not have a Twitter account. But we can look back at an NME interview with Ian MacDonald from 1977 when he discussed working with David Bowie:

"He gets into a very peculiar state when he's working. He doesn't eat. It used to strike me as very paradoxical that two comparatively well-known people would be staggering home at six in the morning, and he'd break a raw egg into his mouth and that was his food for the day virtually.

"It was really s...lummy. We'd sit around the kitchen table at dawn feeling tired and a bit fed up - me with a bowl of some crummy German cereal and him with albumen from the egg running down his shirt."

Do you have much in common in terms of approach?

"We used Oblique Strategies a lot - 'Sense Of Doubt' was done almost entirely using the cards - and we did talk about work-methods, but no I don't think we have that much in common. But that's fine, so long as there's give and take."

How does his approach differ from yours?

"Well, for example, we stayed late one evening and did that piece called 'Neuköln'. I liked that very, very much. I was very impressed by that.

"And I was trying to think what it was like in painting. There was a German school in Berlin at the beginning of the century called Die Brucke (The Bridge) - an expressionist school. Very rough, tough strokes - and they all have a mood of melancholy about them or nostalgia, as if they were painting something that was just disappearing.

"And all of that - the boldness of attack, the unplanned evolutionary quality of the images, and the over-all mood - remind me of the way David works.

"Another piece was the one called 'Moss Garden'.

"David wanted to do a piece which was very descriptive, something I don't normally do inasmuch as I usually start something and then say 'Oh that's what it is' and then follow that direction. But this was quite studied.

"David told me about this place in Kyoto called the Moss Garden and then we just started to work. And, again, there was this very sloppy sort of technique - like, I was just playing around with this chord-sequence on the Yamaha synthesiser and I said 'Give us a shout when you think it's long enough', you know, and sort of carried on. And then David looked at the clock and said 'Yeah, that'll probably do', and we stopped.

"And, on the record, that's exactly where the piece ends. I find this very, very curious. It's so random somehow."

In the early '90s my girlfriend and her pal were young punks hanging around outside the Baggot Inn trying unsuccessfully to blag a ticket to one of Tin Machine's warm up gigs. They watched as members of The Corrs and the usual RTE/Irish music people arrived, to be whisked inside by the attendant security. They couldn't get tickets so headed off...only to pass Bowie on his way to the gig. He smiled at them and said "Hello Ladies". Not much of an anecdote... but I wish I was one of those ladies.

In the early '90s my girlfriend and her pal were young punks hanging around outside the Baggot Inn trying unsuccessfully to blag a ticket to one of Tin Machine's warm up gigs. They watched as members of The Corrs and the usual RTE/Irish music people arrived, to be whisked inside by the attendant security. They couldn't get tickets so headed off...only to pass Bowie on his way to the gig. He smiled at them and said "Hello Ladies". Not much of an anecdote... but I wish I was one of those ladies.
ugh, I HATE the Corrs!

CYb0DuEWQAA3nzq.jpg

PRIX

listened to the incredible blackstar on a drive to cork with my best friends yesterday, and on the way back and we talked about it for hours. i feel so sad now :(

I also have been quite teary at work. He was my first crush - so still my longest, Owls are my favourite birds because of him, I loved his voice, I just loved him incoherently (which is my way) from when I was quite little and Labyrinth filled my world, and then to arrive at his music a little later on, and understand that he wasn't only the Goblin King...from that moment a deep relationship with his music began, and it has been one of the most rewarding things of my life so far. It's strangely comforting you all feel so shocked and turned inside out about it too, the world feels like a different place already.

I saw him in Slane in 87 (I was 13).

My sister reminded me this morning that she took my ticket to go see him on his greatest hits tour in the Point in 1990.

I can remember the background as to why she did, but it seems something I should absolutely resent her for.

Still have the ticket stubbs for both gigs. I should get a picture of them.

I've gone all teary again,keep getting waves that he is no longer. I think perhaps on (as ever) some incoherent level, I thought that one day we might be reaching for the same grapefruit, and I would say "thank you for everything"
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I always fantasised about meeting him. Y'know, just bumping into him on the street when I happened to be in New York or something and shaking his hand.

I only saw him live once ... 1997 in the Olympia. It was great but he was in the middle of his drum'n'bass phase. I was with a friend who was both a massive Bowie fan and a total fucking nutcase. She spent most of the gig giving out about him ruining his own songs and then shouting at the stage calling him an asshole.

He would have liked her I'm sure ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back