Star Wars - The Force Awakens - Spoilers thread, consider yerself warned (1 Viewer)

My immediate reaction to this was to like the prequels more. They had actual power struggles and Yoda floating about chatting universal politics with Samuel l.

If anything, this one begs for more prequels to fill in the holes.

I'm aware that criticisms of this film this week are about as welcome as jar jar Bink's on skelig Michael, it's actually at the point where the film makers hands have been forced by the fans and reviewers are writing crazy shit about it. We are about as deep in hysteria as those storm troopers at the nazi scene.

With respect, chatting about universal politics (and galactic senate shenanigans) are not what people fell in love with about Star Wars, and were one of the things that hobbled the prequels.
Star Wars - Oireachtas Edition, fuck off.
No surprise JJ blew all those cunts up this go around.

Everyone's super upbeat about this right now, but it will calm down.
You're never more happy to see a loved one than when they've just been saved from a fire.

This closing paragraph is the crazy shit I'm talking about:

.These films are a part of American history, cinema history, and our personal history, all at once. The new faces up there on the screen are as compelling as the familiar ones because they remind us that in the world of “Star Wars,” as in our world, life goes on no matter what.

I'm thinking basically the only way female Luke could have gotten to that level of training is that she'd seen the first three movies.
Spoiler - You don't need spoiler tags in a thread marked SPOILERS

I think what we were supposed to take from Ray's growth was that Kylo Ren was her trainer.
Her powers grow exponentially after each and every interaction with him, reading his mind and learning his strengths. He tries mind control on her, she snaps back at him and then 10 minutes later has Daniel Craig let her go with mind control.
He has a go at sword fighting with her, she stumbles for a bit and then it's 'let's be fucking having you', she's Inigo Montoya.
Far be it from me to say how fictional mumbo jumbo works, but this is clearly (saw it twice, totes expert) what they're trying to get across to us.
I'll be the first to say that they maybe could have done a better job with this, but without explicitly saying it (she doesn't even know how it happened) I don't know how you do it.

They are at least cousins, if not brother and sister, so the next movie will explain how the force works special on rellies.

Movie Reviews and Ratings by Film Critic Roger Ebert | Roger Ebert

If life moved on, maybe one new idea might have surfaced in 30 years.
The new idea seems to be that girls don't need to be rescued by dudes, or wear bikinis, and can have the force, just like their male relatives.

I love MZS

Spoiler - You don't need spoiler tags in a thread marked SPOILERS
The new idea seems to be that girls don't need to be rescued by dudes, or wear bikinis, and can have the force, just like their male relatives.

I love MZS

I'm using them because people who saw star wars as kids can get into a bad state of cognitive dissonance about these things because they reside next to childhood craic in their memory and I'd like to give them the option not to read my posts

so basically it's the 1977 series + trigger warning - did they even leave out the search drones??

actually works really well. particularly that one star destroyer shot.
Even directors have to plead with projectionists not to fuck up.

WLVao.jpg

Wait, Daniel Craig was in this? What did I miss.

Also, shut up Ann Post. You're ruining it for everyone.
I don't think it's a bad movie, I think it's a movie that was petrified of its expectations, I'd give it 71/100, docking all points for essentially having to sit through all the same scene s from the old ones

I think what we were supposed to take from Ray's growth was that Kylo Ren was her trainer.
Her powers grow exponentially after each and every interaction with him, reading his mind and learning his strengths. He tries mind control on her, she snaps back at him and then 10 minutes later has Daniel Craig let her go with mind control.

Now, this is around the middle point of the film where it all starts falling apart for me. I *want* to believe it's the case that she was able to read something in him to be able to harness the force more, but it's far too specific - if we'd seen her observing him mind-trick someone else beforehand, then I'd buy it.

Just back from seeing it, as it happens. (2D, local fleapit, like in the old days.) Thought the first half was deadly, very well done. Then it turns into a remix of the original trilogy, not as bad as Terminator Genisys was a remix of T1 and T2, but still a rehash of the same old shit we've seen before to warm those nostalgic cockles.

I think it could have been a lot better, and it ended up not serving the new characters well. And I really like all of them - Rey, Finn, Poe. even BB-8 (who I thought would be this movie's Jar-Jar but ended up being a superior R2).

Also, Domhnall Gleeson's character was deliciously over the top and far more intimidating than Adam bleedin' Driver; what's so special about him and his knock-off Doctor Doom get-up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back