Star Wars - The Force Awakens - Spoilers thread, consider yerself warned (2 Viewers)

Just back from a 2D screening in Savoy Screen 1. I loved it. Great script, new characters are really likable, Abrams has a terrific handle on the material. Only disappointment for me was Domhaill Gleeson. He was absolutely shite. Like something out of Blackadder.

Total nerd question

Could X-wing fighters always just zip in and out of light speed?

This new universe seems very amenable to the needs of the plot.

Super nerdish answer. All rebel fighter craft (x-wing, y-wing, a-wing) are capable of lightspeed. The TIE family of fighters generally aren't (bar a few models in the EU)

Just back from a 2D screening in Savoy Screen 1. I loved it. Great script, new characters are really likable, Abrams has a terrific handle on the material. Only disappointment for me was Domhaill Gleeson. He was absolutely shite. Like something out of Blackadder.
I thought he was great.

I watched the hatefull eight, then this.

It's pretty crap. But then they all are but if it's attached to your childhood you won't see that. If this was anything else, this would be a thread about predictable mush. Kinda like terminator 5 in a way. Oh look! Sunglasses/Arnie/truck/motorbike/fight.

was anything surprising?

That Daisy Ridley has pretty great range. Stellar piece of casting.

I dunno, i mean she can do "posh british girl running" and "posh british girl crying" but she still hasn't learnt the art of the strategic clothes rip

xbuuu2t8kybbvf1wdwdu.jpg

she didn't even get a decent "trying wearing a corset" line

I dunno, i mean she can do "posh british girl running" and "posh british girl crying" but she still hasn't learnt the art of the strategic clothes rip

xbuuu2t8kybbvf1wdwdu.jpg

she didn't even get a decent "trying wearing a corset" line
I thought she was inoffensive at best. Looked a bit strained when she had to do anything other than running and jumping.

Maybe Han dying

But that was just a call back to Obi Wan's death

.Maybe. They were hardly going to skip back to Leia hand in hand singing about the light side of the force Mary Poppins style. Also, zero character development. Zero plot development. They just used that Hitler rally scene to imply bad guys. Bigger death star is not a new script idea. Nor is data in a driod. Making a balls of training is not a new idea either. While they cast a female Luke, they still used the little spermy man flying into the hole to save the day finale and general Leia was just like 'grand I'll just use my face to act because I've no script really, now you boys be careful out there playing'. Also, smart franchise expansion move implying that a barmaid Yoda can fully train you in the force in about 40secs. That'll save explaining anything in future. I could go on, but the point is really that its more emperors new clothes than in any way new movie. It'll still be rated best movie ever for not being the phantom menace. Oh and the CGI guy was shit too in a sort of unsuccessful PC game kinda way. In 30 years basically no space ships were invented, but they did paint the old ones, a bit. The money move here was to introduce nothing new, montage the memorable bits of the first three movies and consolidate all script to one dimension.

Maybe Han dying

But that was just a call back to Obi Wan's death

.Maybe. They were hardly going to skip back to Leia hand in hand singing about the light side of the force Mary Poppins style. Also, zero character development. Zero plot development. They just used that Hitler rally scene to imply bad guys. Bigger death star is not a new script idea. Nor is data in a driod. Making a balls of training is not a new idea either. While they cast a female Luke, they still used the little spermy man flying into the hole to save the day finale and general Leia was just like 'grand I'll just use my face to act because I've no script really, now you boys be careful out there playing'. Also, smart franchise expansion move implying that a barmaid Yoda can fully train you in the force in about 40secs. That'll save explaining anything in future. I could go on, but the point is really that its more emperors new clothes than in any way new movie. It'll still be rated best movie ever for not being the phantom menace. Oh and the CGI guy was shit too in a sort of unsuccessful PC game kinda way. In 30 years basically no space ships were invented, but they did paint the old ones, a bit. The money move here was to introduce nothing new, montage the memorable bits of the first three movies and consolidate all script to one dimension.

.Maybe. They were hardly going to skip back to Leia hand in hand singing about the light side of the force Mary Poppins style. Also, zero character development. Zero plot development. They just used that Hitler rally scene to imply bad guys. Bigger death star is not a new script idea. Nor is data in a driod. Making a balls of training is not a new idea either. While they cast a female Luke, they still used the little spermy man flying into the hole to save the day finale and general Leia was just like 'grand I'll just use my face to act because I've no script really, now you boys be careful out there playing'. Also, smart franchise expansion move implying that a barmaid Yoda can fully train you in the force in about 40secs. That'll save explaining anything in future. I could go on, but the point is really that its more emperors new clothes than in any way new movie. It'll still be rated best movie ever for not being the phantom menace. Oh and the CGI guy was shit too in a sort of unsuccessful PC game kinda way. In 30 years basically no space ships were invented, but they did paint the old ones, a bit. The money move here was to introduce nothing new, montage the memorable bits of the first three movies and consolidate all script to one dimension
I don't think anyone's arguing against that.

It was not a shot-for-shot remake of Ep IV but it was clear what they wanted to do was show everyone that they knew what they loved about the original series and they could handle it all with aplomb.
Part of Abrams' task was to clear the bad taste of the prequels, and soothe the masses.

I didn't see a tagline for this film, but if there were one, it should be 'Don't Worry, We Got This'

Close your eyes
Have no fear
The monster's gone
He's on the run and your mammy's here

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back