Music in Spar nowadays is shit...discuss (1 Viewer)

Burgerbarbaby

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
www.facebook.com
I could put this in the Minor Complaints thread, because that's kind of what it is, but I thought it might be worth a thread of its own...The music policy in Spar changed a few months ago. Whereas it used to be some crappy Dublin radio station, which was fine, it's now playlists of Muzak type stuff. It seems to be divided up into genres, at different times, and all of it is objectionable. I often go in there and don't notice for the first five minutes, but as soon as I do, it's a race to the check-out and a deep breath of air as soon as I get out. I normally go in to Spar tired and a bit stressy, and somehow the knowledge that someone in head office in Spar thought it would be a good idea to treat me and their other customers like this drives me a bit mad...my ear starts analysing just what the producer was going for with each song, like Grunge, or electro, or American rock, or happy bubblegum pop or whatever. I listen closely to the flat horrible tunes, and the frankly deranged lyrics and it quickly becomes the opposite of background music. There's something a little brutal and obtrusive about it, both in its intent and its effect.
And I can't quite understand why ALL of it is so bad...surely once in a while one of the writers would accidentally string three interesting chords together over a nice groove, with a hooky lyric...but no...

I had a similar thing once in Lidl a few years ago, where the Ryanair colours and the fact that the signs had all been hung at exactly the height where my head would hit all of them combined with a rare hangover, and I had to go. But this is more of an ongoing (minor) battle.

I think it must be a combination of price and the usual mood-manipulation of Muzak that makes it useful for Spar, but it can't be easy for the workers, and it's pretty grim for at least one customer.

Example: buying a bottle of olive oil. Takes me five minutes to work out whether the 100% extra free one is the cheapest, or the equally big but not-100%-free one or a combination of two smaller bottles. This changes all the time, and needs to be worked out. Also, similarly, working out whether multi packs of fruit or vegetables are cheaper than the same amount of loose stuff can often take a couple of minutes. I've often been in the middle of one of these mental calculations when the bloody music hits my ear. Jayses.

Fucks sake! Ha ha ha :) no, but there are times when I come home from work and don't want to traipse across town for the Lidl one. So. Can we just accept that there are times when one might occasionally - for perfectly valid reasons - find oneself stuck in a Spar for long enough to notice that the music in there is particularly terrible? I mean, you could easily get caught in a queue for more than five minutes in there.

I actually spend way more time in spar than most other stores, I live right across the road for one and their actual food supplies are so shitty that when I get home from work and realise I have no food I time after time wander aimlessly around for like 15-20 minutes just trying to figure out if there's anything vegetarian and edible that isn't a frozen roast potato.

One of my favourite things about Aldi and Lidl is the no music policy.

I hate piped music with a passion.Interupts my internal soundtrack.Manies the great tune has been lost in the convenience store

The music thing bothers me I suppose because it looks to me like half-arsed MBA strategising, without any real quality thinking or imagination.
It's cold industrial conveyor-belt shopping. It's not cheap, the service is mostly rotten, and now the environment has deteriorated appreciably.
Spar is a web stretched across the city, using economies of scale to operate their business model to make the corner shop idea work. This has to involve lots of very careful statistical analysis, which mostly works fine. The music does not. It's a small exposure to the hardness of the business strategy which makes the experience of being in the shop (and living in a city, I would argue) subtly less pleasant. In Lidl their machinery is clear, and acceptable because of price. But in Spar there seems to be some vague idea about the customer experience which comes across as condescending and low quality. There's no need for it, I think.

I have an iPod, I don't think I've ever noticed what music supermarkets have on.

Yeah, so back to the real reason for the thread: I actually find the music in there fascinating. It's completely unhinged. It's joyless and grinding. How does it manage to be so bad? I've been in plenty of controlled environments, but this is the worst...as soon as I feel myself reacting angrily to it, I kind of laugh.
Next stop is this: Thank You for the Music (1997) - IMDb
Can't wait!

perhaps headphones would be the very thing
You're both right, of course, and that does make a difference. What often happens to me is that I'm streaming some documentary when I get in there, head down to the back for the bread or the frozen stuff, and lose reception, cue instant and unpleasant exposure. Gah!

You're both right, of course, and that does make a difference. What often happens to me is that I'm streaming some documentary when I get in there, head down to the back for the bread or the frozen stuff, and lose reception, cue instant and unpleasant exposure. Gah!

Try saving the file to the device's hard drive

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back