The World Cup (7 Viewers)

I was talking to a guy yesterday that used to love football but isn't bothered with it at all any more because of the amount of diving and rolling about that goes on. I can see where he's coming from.
There's been so much less of that, though. Teams are going for it, hammer and tongs, until they can't stand up any more, it's deadly. Except for yer Robbens.

I was talking to a guy yesterday that used to love football but isn't bothered with it at all any more because of the amount of diving and rolling about that goes on. I can see where he's coming from.

My da would be like that as regards the EPL/ Champions League, and he was someone who'd thumb a lift to the ferry to get to Old Trafford in the 70s and then get back the same way to travel down to see Limerick FC play a cup match, but he's like a schoolboy watching the WC. I think the RTE coverage adds to it, though he hates Brian Kerr as he won't shut the fuck up.

Or maybe he's just pretending to enjoy it to get away from me ma.

There's been so much less of that, though. Teams are going for it, hammer and tongs, until they can't stand up any more, it's deadly. Except for yer Robbens.

Na, there's been loads of diving. That Brazil vs Chile match, Brazil spent most of the time on the ground. Holland were diving all over the shop and it wasn't just Robben. Portugal spent their entire World Cup trying to cheat and fuck them. Even some of the USA were doing it - that lad with the dreads in midfield for them is a dickhead. The Swiss were on the ground at the touch of a feather against the Argies.

There have been a bunch of real good matches to watch, like France - Nigeria, Belgium - yanks (or any of the other yank matches really), Germany - Ghana, etc. I think the good matches are just making you forget how much cheating there is going on.

I'm not specifically talking about just diving like, moreso I am referring to the amount of times a player will take the slightest knock and fall to the ground and roll about until the ref comes over to him, thereby wasting minutes of playing time, and all in the attempt to win a free-kick and try and get an opponent booked. See that shit, that's all fucking Cronaldo's fault, the wanker.

Na, there's been loads of diving. That Brazil vs Chile match, Brazil spent most of the time on the ground. Holland were diving all over the shop and it wasn't just Robben. Portugal spent their entire World Cup trying to cheat and fuck them. Even some of the USA were doing it - that lad with the dreads in midfield for them is a dickhead. The Swiss were on the ground at the touch of a feather against the Argies.

There have been a bunch of real good matches to watch, like France - Nigeria, Belgium - yanks (or any of the other yank matches really), Germany - Ghana, etc. I think the good matches are just making you forget how much cheating there is going on.

I'm not specifically talking about just diving like, moreso I am referring to the amount of times a player will take the slightest knock and fall to the ground and roll about until the ref comes over to him, thereby wasting minutes of playing time, and all in the attempt to win a free-kick and try and get an opponent booked. See that shit, that's all fucking Cronaldo's fault, the wanker.

Well, some of it's in an attempt to just stop the game and get a drink of water because they're playing in the jungle at midday.
The rest of it, you are dead right. And it's ruining the game as a spectacle.

I thought the US were among the least offenders overall. Jones was fuck knackered towards the end of that Belgium game. Those dreads are like a massive woolly hat. The times he fell down, he seemed unable to get back up.

The playing in the jungle at midday thing is a fair point. These matches should be evening/night matches to deal with the heat, but no, FIFA wouldn't get as large a tv audience then, would they?

There was one specific moment towards the end of the USA - Belgium match where Jones was tackled, and he fell to the ground clutching his ankle, and whilst on the ground you could see him actually looking up towards the referee for a second or two to see if the referee was looking over at him, after which he resumed rolling about for a bit

The playing in the jungle at midday thing is a fair point. These matches should be evening/night matches to deal with the heat, but no, FIFA wouldn't get as large a tv audience then, would they?

It could have been a simple enough fix, don't change the kick off times but make the games in the south the early kick off and then have the late ones in the North. Apparently when England played Uruguay some people were saying it was actually a little chilly on the night, about 11 degrees.

Yeah, we can't have a conversation about there being less diving in the world cup in general if you bring up Portugal. Seriously. Or fucking Brazil. Spain are rotten for it too. Seems to go with the pressure. I thought USA and Belgium flowed really well. But the game needs stops, naturally. Falling over and taking your time to get up, to catch a breather, that's all part of it. Tactical falling over to get your opponent booked or to nick a peno, that's cuntitude. But after USA Belgie I can't rightly remember diving being an issue. Great game. There's been lots of them. then there's Marcelo and what have you.

Alan Shearer actually said that England's probem is they're too honest.

We should consider ourselves lucky. The old man says 82 and 86 the games were on when he was in work (Spain) or trying to sleep (Mexico) (I was born in 82 and the younger fella was 86). As a result he saw fuck all of both tournaments.

We don't know we were born. (Though I do as the grumpy cunt keeps reminding me)

I watched every single game I could in 86. I don't remember them being on late. The odd game was on in the evening. England vs Portugal was on late. Ray Wilkins got sent off. How we larfed.

I watched every single game I could in 86. I don't remember them being on late. The odd game was on in the evening. England vs Portugal was on late. Ray Wilkins got sent off. How we larfed.

He must've been trying to make me feel bad so. Typical. Though I suppose he and the oul wan had a 3 month old baby on their hands.

He must've been trying to make me feel bad so. Typical. Though I suppose he and the oul wan had a 3 month old baby on their hands.
Babies can be awful pricks altogether. Or heavily pregnant wives. They don't make the world cup any better.

Babies can be awful pricks altogether. Or heavily pregnant wives. They don't make the world cup any better.

I'd say he hardly saw 5 minutes of it, my ma is an awful cunt altogether.

I came out a few days ago in a Brazil 86 shirt (original) and a white headband and he didn't even know I was supposed to be Socrates. It's like he gave up football between 1980-1988.

I won't fall for the same trick.

I'd say he hardly saw 5 minutes of it, my ma is an awful cunt altogether.

I came out a few days ago in a Brazil 86 shirt (original) and a white headband and he didn't even know I was supposed to be Socrates. It's like he gave up football between 1980-1988.

I won't fall for the same trick.
Topper, was it?

Worth every penny. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Christ no. And sure I could probably sell it for more. Good business in football shirts. I made 100 quid last year on an O'Neills Ireland shirt which some unsuspecting yank sold me on ebay.com.

I would NEVER sell my 86 Brazil shirt though. It's everything I ever hoped for, everything I ever dreamed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back