Harsh Musical Truths (1 Viewer)

...I was introduced to the Roches via a mixtape about 21 years ago... found their first 2 records in a charity shop a couple of weeks later for 50p each... I believe these items willed themselves into my possession...

The Roches are not Irish. I remember first hearing them on Fanning back in 1989. Way better than The Nualas who are just a massive in-joke.

I just knew before I checked that your 'meh' was from Cattle

Damn right. This thread has mad amounts of pure un-cut meh. It's a meh lab!!!

ahem......... I've had a few.

Oasis weren't for simpletons, they were for folks with a bit of ooooomph, a bit of wahey, a bit of Hi Oh.

If you were going to the work christmas party, you'd want 10 Oasis kids there, not two fucking Pavements, a Smashing Pumpkins and god forbid a fucking Smiths, being ironic, not having a beer, staying celebate and avoiding the kebab shop. Fuck that. Get it drank the first two rounds are on the manager!!!!

Even if there were a few Slayers there they wouldn't fucking talk to anyone about anything except fucking Sayer, so what's the fucking point even trying ?

The only major problem with Oasis (apart from the fact that they made more than 2 albums) is that you couldn't dance to them like a fool. Pogoing is not dancing. Pity because no one has ever pulled while pogoing.

That said I do assume that everyone who likes Techno is a drug addict.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ANd keeping with girls using their surnmanes

SAVAGE ANIMAL AMAZING

Slight correction, there is ONE good saxophone:

Post after post about whether good saxophone playing exists and not one mention of John Coltrane. For shame Thumped, for shame.

The version of Whiter Shade of Pale by King Curtis which opens Withnail and I has some pretty good saxophone.
Also.....Lotta Love, the Neil Young cover by Nicolette Larson.

I presume Dexy's used a Sax?

That's about it, though.

If your measure of Oasis is their relevance to a work christmas party, then that just supports Hector's point.
No I didn't.

I measured the enjoyment of a work christmas party against the number of Oasis fans in attendance, massive difference.

Looking back on it, there was a lot of really shit music back in the 90s. We do have things way better now.

Bollox.

Actual music shops, actual radio and television shows dedicated to music, a constant supply of big or biggish bands playing in the Olympia, Vicar street or at worst - the Point. Plenty of local talent. Hip hop was still worth listening to and Joanna Newsome and Animal Collective, the X factor, fucking pitchfork, that fucking surf rock shite and hipsters etc didn't exist. Fuck that.

The 90s even the first half of the 2000s (the decade not the century) were far from perfect but they were a long fucking way better than things are now.

Bollox.

Actual music shops, actual radio and television shows dedicated to music, a constant supply of big or biggish bands playing in the Olympia, Vicar street or at worst - the Point. Plenty of local talent. Hip hop was still worth listening to and Joanna Newsome and Animal Collective, the X factor, fucking pitchfork, that fucking surf rock shite and hipsters etc didn't exist. Fuck that.

The 90s even the first half of the 2000s (the decade not the century) were far from perfect but they were a long fucking way better than things are now.

We still have a fairly constant supply of good gigs. We've had Mastodon, Red Fang and Thurston Moore's new band playing here in just the last week.
Xfactor's shit and so is MTV Rocks but you don't need to even turn on tv these days to find out about decent music. And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to acquire.
There's still a lot of terrible music being made but it's easier to ignore these days. While you've pissing and moaning about all the shit stuff that's come out lately Converge, Torche, Goat, Deerhoof, Death Grips, Theesatisfaction and Deafheaven have all been bringing out deadly albums
This might be blasphemy around here but I think pitchfork's ok. I've found out about some great stuff from there. Once I avoid anything with the word shoegaze or doom metal in the description it's generally alright.
And personally, I'll take mediocre surf over shit grunge or britpop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back