Letter to Emily (1 Viewer)

Here's a thought: Musicians are a bit like gold prospectors, plundering the wild frontiers for musical gold. Some have had great talent and failed, others have a modicum of talent and struck it lucky. Most had very little prospecting talent and gave up and got a job. Of those that stuck with the prospecting, none demanded an income, because it was the goddam wild west and you go and grab what you can. They did, and they got rich. I know the likes of Camper van Beethoven didn't, or Vic Chestnutt didn't. But they kind of arrived late, didn't they? Isn't it the luck of the draw?

So now they're giving out about looters of a different kind. Fair enough, Camper. But you'd a been looting too, if you'd a got the chance.

thats all true. On the other hand, most people in bands are happy out if being in a band gets them their hole from time to time.

You'll pay for books until getting them for free is more covenient than paying for them if I'm reading your posts correctly.

Yeah.
And I did just get sent a memory stick with about 14 gigs worth of .mobi files on it. So I'll be digging through that before I give Amazon more money.

Like I said, i'm not advocating this for everyone, just being honest about the realities of living in a digital landscape of free media.

Yeah.
And I did just get sent a memory stick with about 14 gigs worth of .mobi files on it. So I'll be digging through that before I give Amazon more money.

Like I said, i'm not advocating this for everyone, just being honest about the realities of living in a digital landscape of free media.

You're being honest about your particular version of reality which is entirely within your own control. Presenting it as a technologically driven fait acompli is a total cop-out

Well, I'm not saying the technology made me do it, but when it stopped being absolutely necessary to give record companies money, I stopped.

And after all this time doing it, I've come to consider music to be something that is free now.

Well, I'm not saying the technology made me do it, but when it stopped being absolutely necessary to give record companies money, I stopped.

And after all this time doing it, I've come to consider music to be something that is free now.

Refusing to pay for something and it being free are two very different things occupying two very different ethical universes. You could just as easily bypass record companies and buy direct from the artist.

14 gigs of .mobi's is about 20000 books or something.

No way you're gonna read all them.Even,apart from the fact that books are boring.

Refusing to pay for something and it being free are two very different things occupying two very different ethical universes. You could just as easily bypass record companies and buy direct from the artist.

That is true.
I will sign up for one of those subscription services when I ditch my Nokia, so I'll be compliant then, I guess. No need to download anything.

14 gigs of .mobi's is about 20000 books or something.

No way you're gonna read all them.Even,apart from the fact that books are boring.

It is a mind-boggling list of books on the thing, looks like a cache dump. I know about 5% of the authors on there.

I fucking refuse to pay €10 for a handful of mp3s off iTunes. At least with a cd you have a physical item/artwork etc. I find it hard to imagine that the distribution of 10,000 albums on iTunes has anywhere near the same overheads as producing and distributing 10,000 cds, so why the almost identical price??

Does anyone know if artists get paid more from mp3 downloads than they do for cds? I'm willing to bet that they don't.

I fucking refuse to pay €10 for a handful of mp3s off iTunes. At least with a cd you have a physical item/artwork etc. I find it hard to imagine that the distribution of 10,000 albums on iTunes has anywhere near the same overheads as producing and distributing 10,000 cds, so why the almost identical price??

Does anyone know if artists get paid more from mp3 downloads than they do for cds? I'm willing to bet that they don't.

I'd imagine a good chunk of the money goes to the world's richest corporation, Apple.

I'd imagine a good chunk of the money goes to the world's richest corporation, Apple.

there are people on thumped who sell through itunes who could probably tell you exactly.

in my experience i sold fuck all downloads (via bandcamp) and way more cd's, but the cd's are essentially a dead loss anyways.

this is a very good point. I've bought from iTunes a few times. Only when I wanted things now, wanted something that wasn't in the shops, or something that wasn't available in any physical format. I'd do so again for these reasons, but never ever would I do so in lieu of a physical copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back