Jaysus cycling! (7 Viewers)

I'm going to be getting a new bike through the cycle to work scheme <not that I'm considering cycling from Marino to Citywest> so I was just looking for some advice on what type of bike to get or any recommendations you might have.

I'm haven't cycled for years, am pretty damn lazy and unfit but I plan on changing all that in the New Year so I want to use the bike as a way of getting fit <as I find running a chore due to shin splints and boredom> but will also be using it to cycle to the shops which are about 2 miles away.

The price range is up to €1,000 but I'm a man of simple tastes so it doesn't need to be anywhere near that just something that will get me from A to B, last a good while and help me with my get fit plans.

Any help would be appreciated !

so, decide on what type of bike suits best before worry about the specific model/make

if you're going to be doing mostly short stuff on relatively flat terrain, and if the roads are ok where you'll be going, get yourself a single-speed/fixie type bike. They're great for the fitness because you only have 1-gear and basically have to keep pedalling the whole time.

if you're going to be trekking across the shitty streets of Dublin town then I'd suggest something a little sturdier like a hybrid.

if you plan on doing slightly longer distances than your average commute, then a better hybrid (something like a racer but with flat bars).

or if you plan doing way longer distances and this will make up the bulk of your cycling, moreso than city stuff, then a racer is the way to go. But, in my opinion racers are not good for the city.

I'm haven't cycled for years, am pretty damn lazy and unfit

Get something with gears.
Keep in mind that you can use the cycle to work scheme for accessories as well. so if you are in a position to use the full 1000 and only spend 900 on a bike,the rest could be used for lock/lights/waterproof gear etc.

a fcukin bus driver. I went up the inside of him. When I'm halfway up the bus he decides to indicate left and pull into a stop. He told me I shouldn't cycle up the inside of a bus when they're pulling in. To which I replied, 'no fucking shit sherlock, how about fucking indicating a bit sooner, otherwise look in your fucking mirror to see if its clear to pull in'.

fucking prick.

And while we are giving out. What is the fucking story with people on the Dublin City bikes? Absolute morons, the lot of them. I see them pulling the stupidest and craziest shit imaginable EVERY SINGLE TIME I am in the city centre. They are a danger to themselves (fine) and a danger to the rest of us cycists (bollox)

And while we are giving out. What is the fucking story with people on the Dublin City bikes? Absolute morons, the lot of them. I see them pulling the stupidest and craziest shit imaginable EVERY SINGLE TIME I am in the city centre. They are a danger to themselves (fine) and a danger to the rest of us cycists (bollox)

yes they are morons. I usually only see them when they are cycling the wrong way up the road. Westland row is a great place for it. Best of all is then they indicate to turn right, then turn right without looking, as if indicating will magically clear the way to do so. How no one has been killed on one of those things is beyond me.

Even a guard once told that compared to the DBS folk us couriers are super safe and sensible on the road. Said bike guard also told me the maddest one he seen was him and his partner stopped at a red light with pedestrians crossing when out from behind comes some lad(s) on the rental bikes banging their bells and trying to plough through the pedestrians. It took him a few seconds to register what was happening such was his amazement.

they're dopes.

Anyway, a dog ran out in front of me this morning. Thats the only excitement I had on the way in on this poxy cold morning. The dog decided to turn back just in time, which is just as well because I'd decided not to swerve if he didn't. If I was going down he was going to bring me down.

i have very boring cycles to and from work compared to you lot. anyway i managed to cycle in today without getting a red light, *punch the air*

I got lucky with the lights last week and made it from Finglas to Baggot street in exactly 20 minutes. *2 hands in the air crossing the finish line*

p.s. I think your caps button is broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back