PHILIP GLASS - SOLO PIANO, NATIONAL CONCERT HALL, JUNE 22 (3 Viewers)

Nice to have a crowd under the age of 60 in the hall for the night. Thanks Foggy... please put on more gigs there.

But they weren't happy to see Unicron. ;)
This was fantastic! Has dry ice ever been used in the NCH before?

yeah, what the hell was with that? We kept expecting him to suddenly break into Phantom of the Opera or something, 'DRY ICE -ON, ROLL THE INTRO TAPE, MR PHILIP GLASS, READY FOR YOUR CUE'

But they weren't happy to see Unicron. ;)
This was fantastic! Has dry ice ever been used in the NCH before?

Yeah we get lots of awful productions of Gilbert and Sullivan and stuff like that so the dry ice machines get rolled out a lot. Our light guy is awesome but it did look a little odd spouting out of the piano after every song. He was doing a fancy effect with the 8 lights at the back and it doesn't really work unless they have some smoke to shine through.

Yeah we get lots of awful productions of Gilbert and Sullivan and stuff like that so the dry ice machines get rolled out a lot. Our light guy is awesome but it did look a little odd spouting out of the piano after every song. He was doing a fancy effect with the 8 lights at the back and it doesn't really work unless they have some smoke to shine through.

Scruffiest audience you've ever had in there? I heard some comments passed by a few plummy voiced saps on my way in about the crowd.

No we get all sorts in there. It was definitely the lowest number of zimmer frames I've seen lined up outside the Auditorium doors in a long time. There's only 2 or 3 classical gigs a week. We get lots of world music gigs and jazz gigs and loads of schools and community projects rent it for their annual talent shows. I guess last night was one of the rare gigs with a bit of a crossover audience of old dying snobs and hip youngsters. The old snobs are clinging on to the NCH of the 80s when people wore tuxes to the gigs and frowned at each other for applauding between movements. It's that sort of carry on that puts people off going to the place and will kill it off in the long run. We need gigs like last night's and the ,now rescheduled, Whale Watching Tour to get a younger audience into the place so hopefully Foggy Notions will use it again. May Kay from Fight Like Apes is singing at a lunchtime jazz gig in a few weeks, so we'll see what sort of scruffers show up for that one.

I wasn't trying to be mean. The acoustics in there are designed in a certain way and some seats aren't positioned to take advantage of that, so they're cheaper, but it doesn't mean that the sound is shite.

I wasn't trying to be mean. The acoustics in there are designed in a certain way and some seats aren't positioned to take advantage of that, so they're cheaper, but it doesn't mean that the sound is shite.

I'd go along with that. I was in the stalls and it sounded great. Worth the extra €15-€20 quid. Mad Rush was particularly moving.

The only issue I had with the sound last night was that I thought Ginsberg was too loud. But I heard people that were upstairs say that they thought he was a little muddy.

I was in the cheap seats and the sound was a bit muddy in parts (especially the Ginsberg) but I wouldn't say the sound was shite. Well worth my 15 euro. I envied Squiggle's and I is John's seats. ;)

Ah i know. I wasn't doing the sound last night anyway. It was never designed to be a concert hall in the first place. It was a Royal dance hall and then UCD's exam hall. It's only been a concert hall for around 27 years. I thought the gig would be unamplified as a classical piano concert would normally be but he requested for it to be. He also had an assistant kind of dictating the level that the Ginsberg bit should be at. I thought it was a bit loud myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back