expectant parents of thumped (2 Viewers)

i'm very anti tv, but anyways, seems there might be something in it:

australia: ban tv for under 2's

The recommendations suggest that children aged two to five should watch no more than one hour of television a day.

The guidelines warn that exposure to television at such an early age can delay language development, affect the ability of a child to concentrate and lead to obesity.
The recommendations also suggest that children aged two to five should watch no more than one hour of television a day.

The recommended viewing limits vary wildly from the actual amount of television and DVDs viewed by Australian children.
Australian statistics show that four-month-old infants watch an of average 44 minutes of television each day and that children under the age of four with pay television at home spend at least three hours a day in front of the screen.
The draft guidelines, which have been designed for childcare centres but also offer advice for parents, are intended to help curb the spread of obesity. Six to eight per cent of Australian schoolchildren are currently listed as obese and an additional one in five, while not obese, is overweight.
"Based on recent research, it is recommended that children younger than two years of age should not spend any time watching television or using other electronic media (DVDs, computer and other electronic games)," said a draft copy of the guidelines obtained by The Australian newspaper.
"Screen time ... may reduce the amount of time they have for active play, social contact with others and chances for language development.
"(It may) affect the development of a full range of eye movement (and) ... reduce the length of time they can stay focused."
The government has refused to comment on the Get Up and Grow report for healthy eating and exercise in early childhood, devised by Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital, saying only that the guidelines were still being finalised.

One thing to get used to, if you're a man, is the number of women you have never met before who say things to your parter (in front of you) like 'Make sure you get him to pull his weight', as if we'd all be down the pub unless we were nagged into loving our children.

PS: Congrats Dudley also.

I agree about the TV thing but don't beat yourself up when you stick the sprog in front of the telly for half an hour while you are making the dinner. Sometimes there is no other way ... usually there is no other way.

You know, everyone has an idealised view of what things are going to be like with their children (and most of the books contribute to this hugely).... we'll do this, we'll do that, we won't do this, there's no way we're doing that etc etc. Most of this goes out the window pretty sharpish. My attitude is if he/she is still alive come school-going age, then you've probably done an okay job.

Oh yeah and congrats to Dudley ..... I didn't get a chance to say this on Saturday night. You know, Mark told me about this ages ago, but did so when I was drunk, so I completely forgot until he said something about it again a few weeks ago ...

Don't watch that new pregnancy-themed Sam Mendes film, Away We Go.
The worst thing I've sat through in a long, long time and I include the Cyprus v Ireland match and a corporate communications meeting.

hah, i really enjoyed 'away we go', bar the music. incidentally, the new season of the office is amazing.

coraline, that's a deadly list. thanks for taking the time from baby minding to write it!

hah, i really enjoyed 'away we go', bar the music. incidentally, the new season of the office is amazing.

coraline, that's a deadly list. thanks for taking the time from baby minding to write it!

No problem , glad its helpful :)
I'll post the hospital lists later...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back