Jaysus cycling! (10 Viewers)

that video has made me think i need to go get a better lock

cycling around with three locks would be a total pain though..
does anyone lock their saddle in this town?

For a while I just took the saddle with me when I locked the bike. Took about 5 seconds to flip the release and pull the saddle. I put a bit of insulating tape on the seatpost so the saddle always went back to the same height. I would just stick it in my bag, not that big really.

When I was going to work I would lock the bike, pull the saddle, and pull the front wheel.

The logic was steal the bike, but you will be carrying the bastard home.

cycling around with three locks would be a total pain though..
does anyone lock their saddle in this town?
I do, but there is a loop on it where I hang the lock part of my chain lock to.

Anyways you would be locking your saddle to the frame with a small chain and leaving it there permanently. So its not an extra burden in the normal run of things. The lock he says he invented in the video is a shortened chain of a bike, inside a cut down inner tube. Its not techinically a lock, but a deterent to a thief, as the thief would have to either cut it with a bolt cutter, have a chain removal tool or beat the life out of it with a hammer.

Other than that all you need is one large lock (for back wheel and frame) with auxiliary cable (for front wheel), which all operate on the one key.

So you only have 1 lock to open/close any time you park up, plus a bit of foothering around with the auxiliary cable.

Cycled down to Delgany and back today and by jaysus I'd forgotten just how bad roads can be in this country. Absolute joke some of them, in absolute bits. Very stressful on narrow roads with cars passing all the time. Bits of glass everywhere too. :mad:

I'd forgotten just how bad roads can be in this country.
I cycled home to Dundalk last weekend, and some of the surfaces were just awful. No potholes, just extremely rough surfaces. They would be fine in a car but a complete pain in the bollocks on a bike.

I other news, I've turned into a complete lock nazi thanks to Hal. I was watching a fella lock his bike round by the Markievicz pool last night. He only locked the back wheel. I couldn't contain the urge and suggested he lock the frame also.

I have been quite remiss this summer, with scarely a single jaunt into the wilds of Wicklow during this season past. So today, I donned tights and I journeyed out, and I took my fill of bicyclatory endeavourment.

So yeah, good cycle today. My first time over the Wicklow Gap, which was tough...

2mi7mp.jpg

2wgu238.jpg

I saw a plainclothes cop arresting some dickhead knacker caught in the act of trying to steal bikes on the street just down beside Brown Thomas (opposite the Tower entrance).

Great wrestle followed by policeman mashing his face into the ground, kneeling on his head and puting his arm into a hammerlock.

It was deadly, as was the aggro and niggle surrounding the event from said skanger and his bird, who, of course, was pregnant (or so she claimed when some Garda pushed her away from the arrest, before adding "I'll fucking split you.").

I saw a plainclothes cop arresting some dickhead knacker caught in the act of trying to steal bikes on the street just down beside Brown Thomas (opposite the Tower entrance).

Great wrestle followed by policeman mashing his face into the ground, kneeling on his head and puting his arm into a hammerlock.

It was deadly, as was the aggro and niggle surrounding the event from said skanger and his bird, who, of course, was pregnant (or so she claimed when some Garda pushed her away from the arrest, before adding "I'll fucking split you.").

I've seen a few plainclothes/undercover cops arresting people recently. Think I read somewhere it's part of a new strategy to fight street crime.

that fatality on the quays the other day - was the port tunnel closed?

I was wondering the same thing. No trucks on the quays for ages and no fatalities. Then all of a sudden one appears and someone is killed.

What was it doing there? They can get permits to be in there sometimes can't they?

They should be banned completely.

Of course, as always, we'll never hear another word said about it.

Got my tyres changed recently, to road tyres, since then the bike has been rattling like crazy, every bump is a total wrist shocker... Understand it might be a side effect or smooth tyres, and the dude who fitted them pumped them up to bejaysis (if I let a little air out would this soften the ride?) and now I can feel every dimple and pit on the road.

Also my front derailer is totally stuck, but I think this is a Job For The Boys

I also got new tyres too, a glass-related necessity. Ever since the chap worked on the bike though, everytime I stamp on the pedals pushing off from a standing start, the pedals/gear lock for a split second before going again and my foot usually flies off. I have no clue what's wrong but it's pretty fucking dangerous. There was a near thing with a bus on O'Connell Bridge when my foot flew off the pedal and scraped against the front wheel and I had to fight to stay upright. The bus was about 2 yards behind me as I'd cut across it. Jaysus indeed.
Anyone any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back