Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ah yeh been doing kilakee for years just not so much lately so ill have to get back into the hills. Buying me a new bike soon so it ll be a good excuse :)

think im gonna go for this
maybe the 200kms will be a better target, my da did it a couple of times so i cant let him have that over me

4405101.jpg

• Frame: T700 carbon composite, Compact Road Design
  • Fork: T700 carbon composite
  • Handlebars: RaceFace Cadence Road Anatomic
  • Stem: RaceFace Cadence Road ahead
  • Seatpost: GIANT C7 carbon composite
  • Saddle: Fizi:k Arione, manganese rails
  • Shifters: Shimano Ultegra 20 speed STI
  • Front mech: Shimano Ultegra
  • Rear mech: Shimano Ultegra
  • Brakes: Shimano Ultegra
  • Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 12-25
  • Chain: Shimano Ultegra
  • Cranks: Shimano Ultegra Hollowtech II 39/53
  • Bottom Bracket: Shimano Ultegra Hollowtech II
  • Wheels: Mavic Aksium
  • Tyres: Michelin Pro Race 3 700x23mm

jaysus, how much is that gonna set you back?

ah yeh been doing kilakee for years just not so much lately so ill have to get back into the hills. Buying me a new bike soon so it ll be a good excuse :)

think im gonna go for this
maybe the 200kms will be a better target, my da did it a couple of times so i cant let him have that over me

4405101.jpg

• Frame: T700 carbon composite, Compact Road Design
  • Fork: T700 carbon composite
  • Handlebars: RaceFace Cadence Road Anatomic
  • Stem: RaceFace Cadence Road ahead
  • Seatpost: GIANT C7 carbon composite
  • Saddle: Fizi:k Arione, manganese rails
  • Shifters: Shimano Ultegra 20 speed STI
  • Front mech: Shimano Ultegra
  • Rear mech: Shimano Ultegra
  • Brakes: Shimano Ultegra
  • Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 12-25
  • Chain: Shimano Ultegra
  • Cranks: Shimano Ultegra Hollowtech II 39/53
  • Bottom Bracket: Shimano Ultegra Hollowtech II
  • Wheels: Mavic Aksium
  • Tyres: Michelin Pro Race 3 700x23mm

sweet. Not cheap I'd guess.

What does it weigh in at? Less than 10kg I'd guess?

Thinking of doing Dublin to Dundalk on Saturday.

Any advice?

Any reason? I'd recommend not doing this. I reckon its far better to plan a route thats actually interesting, so unless you need to go to Dundalk I reckon you're better off heading into Wicklow and planning a route there, or even around north county Dublin (over towards the naul, back towards ashbourne, etc). You can easily get the same miles in your legs, but in a way thats not as taxing on the brain. A straight run from Dublin to Dundalk could be quite monotonous.

How many miles in total? About 100 or thereabouts? What kind of miles have you in the legs at the moment? My advice would be to not launch yourself into a spin like that unless you have at least a good base fitness level built up. I have quite a bit done this year, but even now my average spin would be 70-80 miles a pop. Anything over 100 miles sounds a little excessive to me - for one it'll take you all day. Another, it'll wear you out.

But, if you insist on it, eat and drink well and often. Monitor your heart rate so that you're keeping within your fat-burning zone (as opposed to your cardio zone) where and when possible. A rest isn't absolutely necessary, but its no harm to get off the bike every couple of hours once you hit the 3/4 hour mark to stretch the legs. Just be mindful of the cold hitting you though. If you stop too long your body will lose a lot of heat.

Plus, if you can bring some kind of glutamine supplement, definitely do. This time of year, with the temperatures quite low, if your glutamine levels drop quite low, your body will get destroyed with the cold. You'll lose all your natural body heat and you'll be spending the next few days laid up with the flu.

I reckon if you can keep your spin under the 6 hour mark, that'd be plenty. Personally I'll be planning a 5/6 hour spin in the wicklow hills either tomorrow or saturday (or both).

good luck with it.

no worries dude. Just be mindful too that the weather's to be shite this weekend.

You'll have a headwind all the way in one direction (probably back), which won't be nice.

The 'being a girl' option sounds quite appealing to me (in more ways than one :) )

I have to go to Dundalk
I was thinking of taking the train back, like a girl.

You could get the bus to drogheda, cycle to dundalk and if you feel good cycle back to drog or just get the bus all the way home.
Don't get the train, these lads are waaaayyy cheaper and bikes are free, unlike the train. Return to dundalk is 10 quid. Train around 20. + 5 for bike.
http://www.matthewscoach.com/matthews_website/timetable.html

There's a few sections on the N1 I wouldn't fancy being on the bike, but then I suppose thats true of any irish road. There are some nice coast roads between Drogheda and Dundalk but you might get lost finding them.

have to agree with the lads above there.
That might be a tough one. It would be grand if you have the wind at your back, but grinding along some of those roads with a nasty cross or headwind can be trying.

But then I'm a little chap, I never really liked doing flat spins more than 80 miles. For some reason I found riding the flats (by myself) more tiring than the mountains. If I were doing this spin, I would want a group to sit into. I wouldn't be too buzzed about riding that alone.

jaysus, how much is that gonna set you back?

sweet. Not cheap I'd guess.

What does it weigh in at? Less than 10kg I'd guess?

its €2,750. there's one priced nearer €2 000 but has shimano 105 stuff rather than ultegra, so i think while im borrowing money i may as well go for the better model. Finding it hard to get an exact weight for it but it has to be lighter than the ocr 3 im riding at the moment. i saw somewhere that the frame is 980 grams.

here's a video for the weekend thats in it:)

YouTube - 1992 Milan-San Remo

I feel I should mention that there's northerly wind today 25-27mph.
I'll have the wind at my back going home for the first time ever. Gonna go for a new record guyzz, ooohh!!.

I feel I should mention that there's northerly wind today 25-27mph.
I'll have the wind at my back going home for the first time ever. Gonna go for a new record guyzz, ooohh!!.

24 minutes!!!

It was 26 minutes. 11.6km's, Coolock to Rathmines.
I don't have an exact time or stats as I don't have a cycling computer or anything.

Wouldve been faster but for contra flow lights at Fairview for roadworks.

I realise none of you care, but I'm well chuffed.

Also, it beats the fuck out of a 90 minute bus journey.

Cycled to work for the first time today from my new place. Took almost as long to get from the basement car park to my desk as it did to get to the building so that was great.

No great was the constant dodging of everything. Cycling is way way way more fun in the Netherlands. I think I'll be getting that helmet on even if it is too small and slightly crushes my head.

24 minutes!!!

It was 26 minutes. 11.6km's, Coolock to Rathmines.
I don't have an exact time or stats as I don't have a cycling computer or anything.

Wouldve been faster but for contra flow lights at Fairview for roadworks.

I realise none of you care, but I'm well chuffed.

That's good time. Fair play.

I broke a red light in front of a Gard car this evening and they came after me with the sirens blaring.
Don't know what came over me but I just jumped the kerb onto an adjoining road and legged it.
They chased me, but I was able to make it around a few turns and lost them.
My heart was pumping but eventually I just laughed my hole off.

Don't think I'll do it again though.

That's good time. Fair play.

I broke a red light in front of a Gard car this evening and they came after me with the sirens blaring.
Don't know what came over me but I just jumped the kerb onto an adjoining road and legged it.
They chased me, but I was able to make it around a few turns and lost them.
My heart was pumping but eventually I just laughed my hole off.

Don't think I'll do it again though.

they might see this thread.

I am surprised though. Normally they don't give a damn about cyclists doing anything.

inspector horse;1007989here's a video for the weekend thats in it:) [URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=mL3jQmkj3uI" said:
YouTube - 1992 Milan-San Remo[/url]

Immaculate riding. Absolutely perfect.

Fair enough, Sean Kelly was an animal, and a technician on the descents, but he was one wily cunt on the bike too. He just completely pwned Argentin there. I almost felt bad for the guy.

Hilarious how the Italian crowd reacted to his name.

edit, just noticed your post there BA.
Kicking in wheels. What can you say. It saddens me.

Immaculate riding. Absolutely perfect.

Fair enough, Sean Kelly was an animal, and a technician on the descents, but he was one wily cunt on the bike too. He just completely pwned Argentin there. I almost felt bad for the guy.

Hilarious how the Italian crowd reacted to his name.

edit, just noticed your post there BA.
Kicking in wheels. What can you say. It saddens me.

amazing ride by Kelly. Saturday's race was positively dull by comparison, though Cancellara is bit of an animal too. It gives hope to those who aren't waifs.

Roll on April. Should be a cracking classics season. Heres hoping for some bad weather for the Paris-Roubaix!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back