'There Will Be Blood' Excitement Thread! (2 Viewers)

knifesharp.jpg

Thatsfinelalayoucanstopsharpeningnowplease.

Please stop sharpening.

man i keep thinking about this movie.

it's something that continues to slowly reveal itself to you long after you've finished watching it. i can't wrap my head around DDL's treatment of Plainview - easily one of the most complex, dislikeable yet likeable characters i've ever come across.

the protrusion of his bottom lip coupled with the squinting and the deep resonating voice - BRILLIANCE!

man i keep thinking about this movie.

it's something that continues to slowly reveal itself to you long after you've finished watching it. i can't wrap my head around DDL's treatment of Plainview - easily one of the most complex, dislikeable yet likeable characters i've ever come across.

the protrusion of his bottom lip coupled with the squinting and the deep resonating voice - BRILLIANCE!

What exactly is revealed to you long after you've finished watching it?

...and how exactly is Daniel Plainview a complex character?

This was Fantastic. Day Lewis wouldn't be half the actor if he didn't have such powerful facial hair. Thought his primordial dancing in the bowling alley at the end was amazing. The scenes where Daniel was alone with H.W. were brilliant too.

'I think his limp and funny voice made him more complex.'

Nah, Plainview is a pretty straight-forward character.
Chugure (spl) in NCFOM is far more complex fr'instance.

didnt chugure also have a funny voice and a limp ?

didnt chugure also have a funny voice and a limp ?

Yes, yes. Cute coincidence eh?
Two talked-about performances in two talked-about 'big' Amercan movies etc.

Maybe Bardem should have worn an eye-patch to get that Best Actor nod from the Academy?

Neither of them would have liked you very much, that have that in common at least.

Hahahahah. I'm a little embarrased for you with that one.
C'mon play the ball not the man.

Without resorting to ludicrously childish insults why do *you* think Daniel Plainview is such a complex character?

No Country For Old men resonated afterwards with me a lot more, mostly due to the consequences and implications of Tommy Lee Jones' speech at the end and (what I took as) the apocalyptic symbolism of Chigurgh.
Plainview was quite simple, I think. He's an obsessive and an aspirationalist whose ambitions are literally flooded. He might start off seeking wealth, the great American dream, etc, but the accumulation of oil becomes the end in itself, not the rewards that it brings. He doesn't seem to care much for the big house he has. I don't think that is terribly original or complex, but I do think it is a brilliant performance and film.

No Country For Old men resonated afterwards with me a lot more, mostly due to the consequences and implications of Tommy Lee Jones' speech at the end and (what I took as) the apocalyptic symbolism of Chigurgh.
Plainview was quite simple, I think. He's an obsessive and an aspirationalist whose ambitions are literally flooded. He might start off seeking wealth, the great American dream, etc, but the accumulation of oil becomes the end in itself, not the rewards that it brings. He doesn't seem to care much for the big house he has. I don't think that is terribly original or complex, but I do think it is a brilliant performance and film.

Yes, yes, yes. I agree completely. Chiguhr is (to my mind) clearly symbolic of unwavering morality, the very embodiment of a fixed moral compass and for Sherrif Bell to acknowledge this he'll have to confront it. He chooses not to.
TWBB is all about surface-the more you think about it, the less there is, in fact. Even the themes of religion and capitalism are told in a very light, simple way.

Nope, that's the more YOU think about it.

Well that's what I meant. Please don't take it as a personal insult that I don't think TWBB has created 'a new cinematic language' or that it has much resonance beyond it's two hour plus duration.

Hahahahah. I'm a little embarrased for you with that one.
C'mon play the ball not the man.

Without resorting to ludicrously childish insults why do *you* think Daniel Plainview is such a complex character?

It wasn't me who said he was complex - but whatever - you want me to say why I think Plainview is more complex than a novelty act like Chigur with his funy hair and his coin toss schtick - OK I can do that.

It's easy to focus on Plainviews drive and aquisitiveness to the exclusion of all else. He has a self awareness that Chigur is completely lacking. Contrast the conversations between Chigur, Carson and Carla Jean and the one between Plainview and his Brother. Chigur has absolutely no understanding of what Carson and Carla Jean are saying to him. On the other hand Plainview is aware of how different he is and how that may be a flaw in his make up.

All that bollox about Chigur having a code - that all comes from Carson - Chigur himself is just a metronomic psycho. Unsettling perhaps, scary - but complex, bollox.

Remember for Plainviews fury at Ely during the baptism scene he still brought HW back from the boarding school immediately after. Also in the final scene there is the paternal pride he has in Paul Sunday's success - we are given the impression that he had been closely following Paul's progress. So there is definately more going on with him than just plian greed.

In fact his hatred of Ely has nothing to do with greed - it is far more elemental - it has more to do with seing Ely as a fraud than anything to do with money. If greed was the motive he would have paid Ely what he promised - he had no problem paying more to Paul anyway - for good relations and a quiet life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back